3DXPoint: Next generation non-volatile storage

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
lemm
Blorb

3DXPoint: Next generation non-volatile storage

Post by lemm »

3D XPoint memory

Intel is calling this a major breakthrough, comparable to the jump from vacuum tubes to transistors. This new type of memory is orders of magnitude faster and denser (albeit significantly more expensive) than solid state drives. It's read/write latency approaches that of DRAM memory, so it's conceivable that it could also be used to replace DRAM for some applications.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I saw this the other day. I have an SSD which boots SUSE in under 10 seconds and suspect the motherboard is the bottleneck on another system. The new tech is great, but I wonder how many current SSD's have been throttled by cheap boards and other components.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I'm just wondering: if it's non volatile, will this will change the standard computer setup?

Assuming it can be used as a replacement for both DRAM and the standard drive it would be interesting if a computer used one location for both. That would probably also replace the need for a ram cache.
If I'm not just talking through my hat of course...
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Computers? Expensive you say? Especially if you want extra memory?

Perish the thought! I think we should stick to the current system where double the memory can double the price. (Looking at YOU Apple!)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.