Attention Americans (and non-americans)

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Levellass wrote:It always amused me how an issue can be on either side of the left\right divide depending on the history of a country. Abortion for example was a centrist issue here and defended slightly more by the right than the left due to there being a lack of religious alignment with the right and more value of human life being emphasized by the left.

In theory the right in America should be against police violence, they're certainly against the military doing such things on American soil (What happened to Jade helm anyway guys?) but due they're not. Prison reform is moving to the center from the left, possibly as people realize how expensive and bloated the system has become.

All in all I figure these divisions are about as useful as 'Us' vs 'Them'.
Which is why I am very happy with the Victorian branch of the ALP and the current state government, they have put the right for a woman to confidently to have a abortion whilst protecting the right of pro life groups and free speech, a woman can have an abortion in Victoria without intimidation from prolifers or anti-abortion groups, and even though I only support it in emergencies in the case of if the pregnancy is too dangerous to carry, I still believe that Victoria is going in the right direction after we showed the former liberal government the door after just 1 term, Daniel Andrews is very progressive and even though I did not vote for him previously, if he is still leader at the next poll, I would be positively certain of voting for him next time, but then I have a strong record of voting for ALP candidates even though I only have voted Liberal once, the garg about compulsory voting in Australia is that I am forced to vote otherwise I am fined, Australia should follow NZ and let the people decide if they register to vote or not!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Rorie wrote:Unfortunately Paramultart and I got into another fight that had led to my decision to unfriend him permanently and leave Social Media entirely, him and another friend of his simply were abusing me verbally when I pledged my ongoing support for the current US president and my criticism of his soon to be successor (most likely Republican, to be determined by the election next year)
Rorie please leave members who have been banned from this forum out of topics that do not pertain directly to them. Sounds a bit improper to talk about someone who cannot directly respond.

I'm not saying what political position I side with. In fact it seems like that this has gone beyond just pure politics-- you're actually making personal accusations about someone who cannot respond. I'm not just saying this because of who you're talking about. I think the same goes for making personal accusations made against Scarlet and various other people who no longer post on here.

Also, please do not assume that I'm taking "sides". I just think the personal aspects are best left out unless both parties can equally discuss things on the same platform.
Keening_Product wrote:I don't like Political Compass - left/right divisions are a gross simplification of political views, even when including an authoritarian/not y axis.
Agreed, especially since "right" and "left" can be considered pretty subjective. When I took political science, my professor boiled everything down to government involvement.

For instance, in the US, I'd say conservatives want government involved in social issues (i.e. blocking gay marriage) but not economical ones (i.e. less regulations, lower taxes, etc). Modern Liberals \ Progressives want the opposite and libertarians \ classical liberals want little to no government involvement on all fronts.

Still a bit of a generalization, and there are some gray issues (i.e. gun control, war, etc), but to me it gets past subjective labels and boils it down to political issues. Which I think can be a more productive discussion among people from a myriad of different countries.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Rorie please leave members who have been banned from this forum out of topics that do not pertain directly to them. Sounds a bit improper to talk about someone who cannot directly respond.
it is all good I am completely over Paramultart, I have left social media will never have anything to do with it again, I no longer need to bring it up ever, I can feel free to move on and still stick to my beliefs and continue my criticism of the traitors who call themselves Republicans and how they stand to destroy their own country!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I think it's fascinating that if I tell people I'm pro gun rights, they'll lambaste me for being anti-islamic immigration, and if I tell them I'm pro-immigration it obviously means I want guns taken away.

Are we being forced to pick one right thing and one wrong thing? Wouldn't it be okay to have two right things? This party system forces us to accept a bunch of hoices that shouldn't even be related to each other in a binary All or Nothing way.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:This party system forces us to accept a bunch of hoices that shouldn't even be related to each other in a binary All or Nothing way.
True, although for the most part I agree with conservatives. I just don't believe in bigger government control etc...
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Small government isn't necessarily a part of conservative ideology.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Keening_Product wrote:Small government isn't necessarily a part of conservative ideology.
My point exactly
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.