Installing Windows 95 Software on Windows 7

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Installing Windows 95 Software on Windows 7

Post by Scilicet »

I have some old games from when my family had Windows 95, and I'd like to install them on my Windows 7 laptop. I tried and got a message saying that there was an issue.
Some research unearthed this, which said that the issue was the 16-bit installer rather than the game. I tried to follow the instructions. I copied the CD contents to a deidcated folder in program files and copied the downloaded InstallShield 3 to the folder. I double-clicked the setup32 icon and got a message saying that "Setup requires _SETUP.DLL and ISRES.DLL (located in _SETUP.LIB) in order to operate properly. Please ensure that these files are located with SETUP.EXE." I have all three of them at the same level in the folder as the exe, so I am unsure what I am doing wrong. Am I supposed to drag some of those over the setup.exe?

I've also seen instructions for DOSBox and Virtual Machine, but I'd rather stick with this because I want to do this for other people's computers, and I think this would be the simplest way to teach others.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

You can't do it. Emulation is the only way.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Get an old computer and install 95 on it. Bonus if you use a beige CRT monitor.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Re: Installing Windows 95 Software on Windows 7

Post by MoffD »

Scilicet wrote: I've also seen instructions for DOSBox and Virtual Machine, but I'd rather stick with this because I want to do this for other people's computers, and I think this would be the simplest way to teach others.
I think that's your only hope. I can certainly relate to wanting an easier way to show people. I honestly can't understand why they can't drag the *.bat file into the dosbox shortcut...
imko installing dosbox and teaching them about click/drag is the easiest way, virtual machines just get too complicated.

Or you could dual-boot. I wonder if you can put 95/8 on a flashdrive... 8)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

I've read that this has worked for other people.

I found that I didn't have all the files copied in the same place. I got the installer to launch and get part of the way through the installation. It stopped, saying that there was a file transfer error (number 37) and to check the destination directory. I launched the installer and checked the destination path. The correct folder was selected, but the text box at the top contained "02sdazzr.qzy" and defaulted to that even if I typed the correct path (C:\Program Files\Expert Software\24 Games for Windows). If I try to leave the box blank, the installer tells me the file directory is invalid, incomplete, or write protected. It then tells me to supply a path including a drive letter, like C:\APPS.

I want to do this for other people's computers, particularly those who don't have access to an old one. My dad, in particular, would like to play Think Tank on his office computer, which also runs 7. He wants to just click an icon on the desktop and get to the game selection screen. His computer is used primarily for his business, so I doubt he would understand or appreciate usage of an emulator.

The games run fine from the CD.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Install Linux ;) WINE runs old 16- and 32-bit applications well.

But seriously, run Linux as a live CD, install WINE while running the live image, decompress the files there (installers tend to work), dump the output onto your HDD and reboot into Windows.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Can WINE run old Windows 95 games that run off a CD?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Actually, you need a 32 bit windows 10 in order to run 16 bit software.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Windows 10 is death.

People are naive to think that you can simply "disable" certain features to maintain your privacy, because it's been proven to spy on you regardless.

There are so many back-doors built into it that it's practically the Facebook of operating systems.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Paramultart wrote:Can WINE run old Windows 95 games that run off a CD?
I'm talking about using WINE to run the initial installation, not to actually play the game. I'm pretty sure that would work though. - I used to play RollerCoaster Tycoon off a CD via WINE IIRC.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Paramultart wrote:Windows 10 is death.

People are naive to think that you can simply "disable" certain features to maintain your privacy, because it's been proven to spy on you regardless.

There are so many back-doors built into it that it's practically the Facebook of operating systems.
You know, when I told people on this very forum several years ago I didn't want to be on facebook they called me paranoid.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Scilicet wrote:I've read that this has worked for other people.
Ahhh Fire Fight, I missed you. I can confirm that wine works with older Windows games, interestingly Fire Fight is one I have tried.
Levellass wrote: You know, when I told people on this very forum several years ago I didn't want to be on facebook they called me paranoid.
What's a facebook? :confused

Edit: If anyone's interested, I believe I had to install the directx libs packaged with the game due to DirectPlay being deprecated.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass wrote:

You know, when I told people on this very forum several years ago I didn't want to be on facebook they called me paranoid.
BOTH of you are (still) too paranoid. As always. What are you hiding guys? :evil

As for your (overly exaggerated) privacy concerns, that's a whole different subject that has nothing to do with the topic and maybe deserves a separation.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

You have to use dosbox and source ports like Dark Places/Hammer of Thyrion.

/Thread.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

wiivn wrote:
Levellass wrote:

BOTH of you are (still) too paranoid. As always. What are you hiding guys? :evil

As for your (overly exaggerated) privacy concerns, that's a whole different subject that has nothing to do with the topic and maybe deserves a separation.
I'm a woman on the internet, I like not getting rape threats.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.