Quick Poll: Monitor Resolutions

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Monitor

1920 x 1080
63%
1600 x 900
6%
1280 x 720
6%
Other (16:9)
25%

Total votes: 16

GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

kvee wrote:
GoldenRishi wrote:I'm looking into a library for C++ called SDL, and placing my engine on top of that.
Software rendering or OpenGL?
I've successfully used OpenGL for a neat tile-based engine, sidestepping SDL completely. But I kinda wanted to do a project like that from scratch.
Software rendering, although I will probably use hardware acceleration to do the upscaling from 360p to 720p when I draw the screen surface.

Although I've never actually released a game before, this will be the third or fourth game engine that I've written for games (that so far never come out, although you can play a version of my last engine here, it's just a small level to showcase the physics engine that I programmed in GM7, I think it was, and click "ignore" for the error at the beginning, and note that I had friction turned down to show the effect), plus I have a lot of programming experience on the computational science side of things, which has given me insight into how the process works from scratch. There's no real reason I can't program an engine from scratch, imo, even if it may take a while.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
kvee
Vortininja

Post by kvee »

GoldenRishi wrote:Although I've never actually released a game before, this will be the third or fourth game engine that I've written for games (that so far never come out, although you can play a version of my last engine here, it's just a small level to showcase the physics engine that I programmed in GM7, I think it was, and click "ignore" for the error at the beginning, and note that I had friction turned down to show the effect), plus I have a lot of programming experience on the computational science side of things, which has given me insight into how the process works from scratch. There's no real reason I can't program an engine from scratch, imo, even if it may take a while.
I've never finished my game either :[
But hey, your engine's nice! The movement physics are very close to the original!

Also I like how the sprites match the original character animation states.
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

kvee wrote:I've never finished my game either :(
Yeah, it's a rough go. Programming your own game engine (even with the aid of something like GamerMaker) along with drawing your own graphics, etc, is no small task, but honestly, I did find it rather enjoyable to solve small problems and make tangible progress over time. I love physics, but it can be weeks of work before you can see that something works to satisfaction.
But hey, your engine's nice! The movement physics are very close to the original!

Also I like how the sprites match the original character animation states.
Thanks! It's actually a Newtonian engine (which for a simple object like Keen isn't all that impressive), but it was still fun to code. I was surprised, too, at how nicely the engine worked at modeling the original Keen movement.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)