Backup of ALL Commander Keen stuff?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Backup of ALL Commander Keen stuff?

Post by SupFanat »

I want to download absolutely everything about Commander Keen:
- all forum stuff (again)
- all KeenWiki (including historical versions of pages)
- all versions of official games (except to copyrighted stuff if you're afraid of lawsuits)
- all mods and levelpacks
- all fan art
- all utilities (even useless outdated stuff like TED5 or ck456tli for DOS)

simply everything what was EVER made for Commander Keen.

I don't want it urgently!

I want it to be made sometime later!

I hate the feeling that I don't have complete collection! Once I get the Dropbox link to ZIP or RAR, I'll simply copy it to my USB Stick and HDD and burn it to DVD and Bllu-Ray!

Please don't forget that my E-Mail address is publicly displayed on this forum! Thank you!

And for the future - please make your FTP server!!! Thank you very mich!!!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

This has already been covered on this forum, albeit in parts:

- Forum backups were discussed in another thread.

- KeenWiki backups were discussed in another thread.

- All versions of offical Keen games are available from a website which shall not be named here.

- Most versions of most mods and levelpacks are available from the KeenWiki.

- Fan art can be found via and saved from the relevant thread. There is more all over the web - good luck tracking it down.

These are things you can do yourself relatively easily. Maybe you could pull it together and make the archive available to everyone or something so others looking for the same collection can find it as easily as you want it right now. It wouldn't be legal to do so, mind.
Last edited by Keening_Product on Wed Oct 07, 2015 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

The sooner the fans buy rights to all remaining copyrighted Commander Keen games and make it GPL the better. :)
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

You'll have to ask Bablet about her keen fanfiction, since she removed two stories of hers. I really wished she didn't delete them. :celtic
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

I'm extremely busy with my own non-Commander Keen project so I still don't have a complete collection. If I get more spare time, I could consider finding and downloading all the mods. I hope to get entire collection of all Commander Keen stuff on my hard disks and USB Sticks. I know the copyright issues of Commander Keen 2, 3, 5 and 6 but everything else may be posted here.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Are you envisaging some sort of Iranian-style DVD with everything crammed onto it? Im sure such a thing is possible.

But is it desirable? Surely one's collection of Keen items is something that should grow organically. Same as a CD, movie or book collection. You don't just invest ten grand in 'all the top 500 films of all time' and then work your way through them. No, you feel your way through each genre and subgenre, building up the anticipation to try something and then, some time afterwards, going for it and adding it to your familiar repertoire. That's always been the way with Keen stuff for me. Explore the back catalogue e.g. when I arrived in the Keen world, Xky's Ice Level and a few other levels were already out there as were some generally crummy windows 95 fangames. Once the things of the past were fully explored, I kept up with ongoing releases pretty attentively. I think this makes the whole process more practical and, I feel, more interesting.

But if you feel the need for it, go ahead and amass your comprehensive collection. If there's any specific file you seek, don't hesitate to ask - I have possibly 20 gigabytes of keen-relates stuff lying around on various disks/discs and am happy to try to help.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Benvolio wrote: But is it desirable? Surely one's collection of Keen items is something that should grow organically.
Which is why I don't use CDs. Flashdrives and/or external harddrives are what I amass my Keen files on, so as I find more things to add, I just slip them in and everything's updated.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.