Fragmented Posts

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
User avatar
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 18:46
Contact:

Post by Plasma Captain » Mon Oct 19, 2015 23:37

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
chrissifniotis wrote:That's trolling, and that's completely unnecessary, especially on the internet as a whole.
...Have you been on the internet in the last ten years? :confused The internet is the place that coined the word "trolling" in the first place.
The word "trolling" existed before then, it has merely been repurposed. In any case, just because it exists and is prevalent doesn't mean it's a good thing.

I don't know how much of all this was ironic, sincere, or some combination thereof. I don't really have anything personal against Para though I disagree with many of the views he's been expressing. I don't know him, and I'm not going to judge him. I'm not even much of a regular here, which is why I was weirded out in my previous posts.

This is all becoming quite silly in my opinion.

GoldenRishi
Vortininja
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:20

Post by GoldenRishi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 0:32

Plasma Captain wrote:This is all becoming quite silly in my opinion.
Yeah, I kind of agree. I think that this is a forum for a video game. I can't really see why there's anything on this forum to blow your stack over.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02
Location: Tied up in the Oracle Chamber's basement
Contact:

Post by Keening_Product » Tue Oct 20, 2015 0:49

GoldenRishi wrote:I went back to see who was doxxed when I remember it happening, and it was Keening_Product.
Another user was doxxed more recently by Para, but that was edited and might be buried in one of the Nazi gargstorm threads. VBB doxxed me some time back, yes, and I edited that out and challenged him at the time, which may be why my incident comes to mind more than the other one.

VBB, there was more than anti-Ceilick stuff in those messages. I know - I deleted 82 of them ;)

Plasma Captain, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your posts were probably chosen randomly or only because they mentioned other countries.
"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass

User avatar
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:06
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

No more commander clown

Post by VikingBoyBilly » Tue Oct 20, 2015 0:57

Edit: Deleted because I'm Ceilick's loyal puppy! :shockshund
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02
Location: Tied up in the Oracle Chamber's basement
Contact:

Re: No more commander clown

Post by Keening_Product » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:23

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Since I am a good guy, I'm giving you a choice, Ceilick: Willingly resign administratorship down to a normal member, or be forcefully banned and have all your mods boycotted.
I struggle to see how you can boycott the people who control the forum on which you are posting.

Para did more than name users; he went out of his way to insult and offend other people. If he's hoping for an unbanning, my advice would be don't flood the forum with hundreds of posts complaining about his banning. Diplomacy 101. I'm not a mod, but I do delete spam. I had better things to do than spend half an hour deleting crap posts. I suggest taking your complaints against Ceilick (who banned me once too, remember? I didn't start a campaign against him in response) to the PIGIF where someone might care.
"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass

User avatar
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:06
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:28

Edit: Deleted because I'm Ceilick's loyal puppy! :shockshund
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?
Posts: 2090
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02
Location: Tied up in the Oracle Chamber's basement
Contact:

Post by Keening_Product » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:40

If you don't see reason for Para to be unbanned then why are you complaining?

You don't own this forum. Neither does Ceilick, but his mod position has the consent of the person who does. One user calling for the resignation of a perfectly good mod who lets you complain about them looks a bit silly. Enough, please.
"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass

User avatar
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:06
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:55

Edit: Deleted because I'm Ceilick's loyal puppy! :shockshund
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass

GoldenRishi
Vortininja
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:20

Re: No more commander clown

Post by GoldenRishi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:42

VikingBoyBilly wrote:They're not pressing charges because they can't. First of all because it's not against the law (or else how would Encyclopedia Dramatica function?); second, because they need to have our dox before they can do anything.
It's not out-and-out illegal, but it can be if it's used to harass or even annoy people, which that case isn't exactly hard to make here. If you're going to engage in this behavior, you should at least be aware of the law.

http://www.lxbn.com/2014/11/25/doxing/
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Since I am a good guy, I'm giving you a choice, Ceilick: Willingly resign administratorship down to a normal member, or be forcefully banned and have all your mods boycotted.
And most idle threat of the year goes to...
(Used to be LordofGlobox)

User avatar
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1187
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:01
Location: Three-Tooth Lake
Contact:

Post by troublesomekeen » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:36

I've read every single post on this entire forum since the day I joined and yet it's a mystery to me where all this garg comes from. Must be a lot happening behind the scenes, eh?
Image
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!

Bernie
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 561
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 15:00
Location: Aus

Post by Bernie » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:34

GoldenRishi wrote: press charges
haha, what the hell? seriously? over a forum about an old PC game?

i think 'forum drama' happens when people get bored. there really isnt much to do here really :/ it takes people forever to release the tiniest sliver of a mod. there are other places to go to on the internet you know guys, in the interim.

Ceilick
The Dude
Posts: 1538
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 20:10
Location: Seattle

Post by Ceilick » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:02

VikingBoyBilly, threats and name calling aren't welcome here. Clean it up.

User avatar
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 4155
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:06
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:29

Just leaving this here.

Image
Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass

User avatar
Lava89
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 15:28

Post by Lava89 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 16:30

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Pick a side!
Daaanng....the PCKF just got dangeruss!

In all seriousness, I think it's easy to assume that as a community, PCKF is official place for anyone and anything to talk about Keen. But it's really not, as Keening Product pointed out, its owned by someone (Flaose, I believe? I recall that KeenRush started the previous one on ezBoards).

Let's look at the bottom of the rules:
tulip wrote:Remember: You are a guest, act like one.
To me that captures what PCKF is and isn't.

I can't really say PCKF is my home, because I don't own it, I'm a guest. So maybe the title "Public Commander Keen Forum", is a bit misleading? Because it's not really public per say, in the strictest sense of the word (i.e. everyone here shares ownership). PCKF isn't the only place to talk about Keen (we used to also have Beyond the Pogo) and maybe there needs to be more than one?

Now one thing I'd like to address, is a narrative that's been going around, probably since the "What the heck, PCKF?" thread, in that the mods are basically tyrants, picking and choosing who goes and who stays. I honestly find a hard time believing this, mostly because I've never been on the opposite end of the moderators' judgment, so I admit that my perspective is a bit skewed. But I have noticed that alot of topics used to get locked. Now, to begrudingly pat myself on the back, I'd guessimate that we've had a 75% decrease in locked topics over derailments, due to the creation of the off-topic thread (which was really my goal in creating it). Why am I bringing this up? Because I feel the off-topic thread has been one of the few solutions that has worked around here.

So that's where I want to go next, solutions. People keep throwing around this or that as to what Para exactly got banned for (i.e. ranting about social issues, doxing people etc). But what I want to ask the Mods, and the Mods only who were personally involved with Para's banning-- what exactly, on paper, officialy got Paramultart banned?

Some people might think this is an obvious and dumb question. I certainly have my own opinion as to "what did it". But I just want it out, for the record, from the actual people who made the decision to axe him.

Some links to the posts and reference of each rule he broke, would be nice. The more concise, the better. Also, if he made an offense that isn't in the rules, having that stated would be appreciated as well.

Am I asking this because the mods owe me this? Heck no. I'd like to say this would make the PCKF management more accountable, but again, they don't have to be accountable. Its their forum. I'm merely asking as a concerned guest of this community and would like to make my own conclusion about where the forum is going, once everything has been laid out on the table.

GoldenRishi
Vortininja
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:20

Post by GoldenRishi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 17:53

Bernie wrote:
GoldenRishi wrote: press charges
haha, what the hell? seriously? over a forum about an old PC game?

i think 'forum drama' happens when people get bored. there really isnt much to do here really :/ it takes people forever to release the tiniest sliver of a mod. there are other places to go to on the internet you know guys, in the interim.
Perhaps I wasn't making myself clear. I was not, for second, actually advocating for someone pressing charges (Indeed, I believe that I said the opposite). I was, however, stating that VBB should be aware that was he is doing could be considered illegal, and he should be aware of that if he does this to the wrong person, he may very well find himself in court. I'm not arguing that he should have this happen to him, but to make it aware to him that this could happen if he continues to do this.


(And contrary to Para's statement that revealing names is not doxing, it is doxing. I gave a link above over the legalities of doxing, what it is, when it can be considered illegal, etc.)



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know I'm not your intended responder, but what I have to say is relevant for this.
Lava89 wrote:Let's look at the bottom of the rules:
tulip wrote:Remember: You are a guest, act like one.
To me that captures what PCKF is and isn't.

I can't really say PCKF is my home, because I don't own it, I'm a guest. So maybe the title "Public Commander Keen Forum", is a bit misleading? Because it's not really public per say, in the strictest sense of the word (i.e. everyone here shares ownership). PCKF isn't the only place to talk about Keen (we used to also have Beyond the Pogo) and maybe there needs to be more than one?
I hear you on this and think it may be a valid point, but I would like to say a few things:

1.) As for multiple forums, there's probably a reason that Beyond the Pogo failed, and that's that I doubt there's enough interest or people to maintain activity on two Keen forums. At the end of the day, for better or for worse whatever one's opinion is, PCKF won out because it seems that most people like it the most, it has a long reliable history, and most people seem to like this forum best. Do I think that editing out swearing and pretending like this forum is actually for children when there hasn't been someone under the age of 13 on here for probably a decade is a sensible policy? I mean, not really. Am I going to quite PCKF over it? No. I don't care that much.

2.) I have been on forums where the adminship has been abusive and authoritarian (The forum is now basically dead). In fact, I modded for that forum for a while but I had to tender my modship because the forum was run like a regime where the members where not respected, where certain members were openly discriminated against, and the lead admin routinely abused members and created a culture where his mods felt it was okay to follow suite. So I can tell you with some experience that PCKF is definitely not that.

3.) I can be pretty sure that this forum isn't authoritarian because I've openly and somewhat impolitely disagreed with Keening_Product (a mod) on a political issue in the past, and no mod stepped in and threatened to warn/ban me. In other words, PCKF has seemed to support descenting opinions (historically so, too, for anyone who remembers the legacy "Is Harry Potter Evil/Bad?" thread), so if Paramultart had simply expressed views different from the moderators, I very much doubt that he would be banned. I've only been back for 6 months after a ~7 year hiatus, but I can't see anything so far to suggest that I'm wrong about this, but please tell me if I am.


Maybe people should have a dialogue with the mods out of what they want out of PCKF if something isn't working for them. I doubt that the mods are just going to tell everyone to pound sand.
Lava89 wrote: So that's where I want to go next, solutions. People keep throwing around this or that as to what Para exactly got banned for (i.e. ranting about social issues, doxing people etc). But what I want to ask the Mods, and the Mods only who were personally involved with Para's banning-- what exactly, on paper, officialy got Paramultart banned?

Some people might think this is an obvious and dumb question. I certainly have my own opinion as to "what did it". But I just want it out, for the record, from the actual people who made the decision to axe him.
I had the same question, so I PM'ed Ceilick. He gave me a list of the rules that Para had broken and discussed, without going into the details, that Para had doxed a mod. And, honestly, I couldn't see how their opinions were wrong, having read what Paramultart had done/said in the past. They may make their opinions known publicly, that's their choice, but you can certainly PM a mod and they'll be very straight with you. They were with me, anyways.

Now again, personally, I side on the idea that forums should be more about free speech and maybe should allow members to state their views (racist or otherwise) in the Miscellaneous forum (or maybe an age-moderated forum with more free speech, if members collectively want this), but it's absolutely impossible to argue that Paramultart did not break most of PCKF's rules (whether you agree with them or not), especially the most important one's including posting racist comments and deliberately trying to annoy/offend other members, nor do I think could one convincely argue that he hadn't been doing so for months. Again, your Off-Topic thread is a pretty large testament to many of those rule violations.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)

Post Reply