Women's day 2016

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Yeah, although it is more like "Woman's Fight day"
as we call it "Kvindernes internationale kampdag"

"Battle day" just sounds like your going to fight someone, on purpose XD
which is also the joke ;p
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

I'mma just leave this here.

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Sigh, this was an alright thread until now.

namida's meme translated: "There is extreme oppression elsewhere in the world, so let's ignore the systematic oppression at home because fixing that doesn't suit me."
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Now let's try translating it from the point of a non-Tumblr-brainwashed worldview:

"There is extreme oppression elsewhere in the world, so let's not complain about non-issues like 'manspreading' and 'stare rape', or completely fictional wage gaps, and pretend that it makes us far more oppressed."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The problem there is that so much is a 'non issue' Why complain about feminists? ISIS is KILLING people, shouldn't you divert your energy to that? Why go out for dinner, people are starving, shouldn't you send them the money to buy nutritious food?

In the end we all pick our battles and very few of them are the most deserving or vital. I'll go after feminists for complaining the day America stops wasting 40% of its food by just letting it sit there and go off. (Or they stop pestering me about American Football It's a joke of a game dammit, and to heck with your superbowl!)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

... you think wage gaps are fictional?

I'm not even going to address the slew of other concerns your incredibly selfish, old worldview raises. I am over arguing on the internet, and have found Men's Rights Activists don't listen. I guess you have to keep your mind pretty firmly shut to still have that view of women in the 21st century.

If you don't identify as an MRA I suggest you do some research–you're skating awfully close to MRA arguments.

PS: I don't like Tumblr, but I have more respect for it than you apparently have for women.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

The fact that you think someone has to be either a feminist or an MRA just proves how far into the feminist side you've gotten. It's perfectly possible - and indeed, reasonable - to be neither. Some people like the term "egalitarian" here; personally I see no need to have a label for actually thinking people should be treated equally without regard to their gender (or race, sexuality, or any other factor outside of their control - and no, I'm not going to get into the "is sexuality a choice" debate here; even if we assume it is, the effect on anyone but one's partners is pretty much zero, so it can likewise be treated as not valid grounds to treat someone differently).

And let's not overlook the irony in you (accurately, were it not for the fact that I'm not one) saying "MRAs don't listen"... coming from someone in the equally-stubborn feminist movement. :) We get it, you've probably freshly entered college - if even that - and feel like you have to have some kind of "enemy" to have a purpose in the world; that if you don't have an obvious problem, you need to make one. The problem with that is, in the real world, all you achieve by whining about grossly exaggerated or entirely fictional issues, while ignoring the real ones that (in theory) your movement should be focused on, is looking like an overgrown child throwing a tantrum. And that's without getting into that feminism claims to be about equality, while in reality being about "how can we make use of our gender to get special treatment?" (And yes, I realise this doesn't hold true for historical feminism. But only someone looking desperately for anything they can use to try and discredit the point is going to seriously think I wasn't referring to modern feminism here, especially when I've described modern feminism - and only modern feminism - perfectly.)

But perhaps the most amusing part of all - you decided to brand me as an "MRA" solely based on that I don't agree with you. Despite, you know, me not saying a single thing that relates to men's rights in any way.
I'll go after feminists for complaining the day America stops wasting 40% of its food by just letting it sit there and go off.
Now that last part, I can agree with; in a world - heck, even simply a country, without considering anywhere else - where there are a significant number of people starving to death (literally, in many cases), that kind of food wastage is disgusting. Especially when (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure it'd actually be cheaper to give it to someone who needs it, than to arrange for proper disposal of it, just for the sake of making a gamble that it might sell at the last acceptable minute.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Wage gaps are not only fictional, but illegal in the United States, despite what any presidential candidate says to make people happy (or p&^& off a particular group).

The gap is freedom of choice. Some people like jobs that don't pay so well, and others try for something different.

Idunno what the rules are in Australia or NZ.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Wage gaps are not only fictional, but illegal in the United States, despite what any presidential candidate says to make people happy (or p&^& off a particular group).

The gap is freedom of choice. Some people like jobs that don't pay so well, and others try for something different.

Idunno what the rules are in Australia or NZ.
Pretty much the same as any civilized country - same job, same hours, same conditions, means same pay, no matter what your gender, race, etc.

There's only two exceptions that I can think of in NZ (I really wouldn't know what it's like in Aus, I believe it varies between states), and neither of them relates to gender. One relates to the combination of young age *and* being new to the workforce; the other relates to disability that's severe enough to affect performance significantly but not severe enough to rule out employability altogether.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Okay, what does "median" mean in this case? An occupation title like "Management, business, and financial operations" are definitely not all the same job, but it does break it down into different positions down the list. Things like "food service managers" could be many different things ranging from McDonald's to Olive Garden. This chart shows men are winning, but not more advantaged. There could be a lot of other things factoring into this we don't even know about and there are non-monetary privileges women get to have like maternity leave.

Another thing is people are human, not machines. Egalitarianism is the most unrealistic and unattainable ideology ever conceived. I'd rather see fair and balanced systems than systems forcing universal equality. Can you imagine turning pokémon into chess and how unfun that would be?

My stupid uneducated opinion for the week; rebut it or ignore it.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

In how many ways can you interpret "human resources manager"? That's pretty specific. What about "education administrator"? "Accountant"? How about every single teaching occupation listed on there? How many types of elementary and secondary school teachers are there, really?

You are grasping at straws in the face of hard data on a government website.
Another thing is people are human, not machines. Egalitarianism is the most unrealistic and unattainable ideology ever conceived. I'd rather see fair and balanced systems than systems forcing universal equality. Can you imagine turning pokémon into chess and how unfun that would be?
It's not that hard to pay people equally for the same position instead of paying them based on what you think you can get away with.

I have a feeling that people are growing up in this country feeling like everything is O.K. because nobody taught them any history from the last 50 years and the last thing high school left on their minds was "oh but then we voted for equal rights acts and stuff." Many things in our society are also a whole lot better now than they were before, which, by comparison, probably also makes a lot of young people believe that nothing needs to improve...

It's also easy to pretend that problems don't exist when they don't directly affect you.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Exactly! All this arguing about politics is inconsequential when reading ancient mesoamerican history to satiate my educational impulses matters far more than any of this.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

I don't know why I tried. The conversation became pointless the moment you attempted to dismiss objective statistics.

I suppose the best we can hope for is that each new generation will be a little less ignorant and a little less hateful.

Unless someone other than VBB has something to add, I'm done with this discussion.