Greetings from Fribbulus Xax

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Zilem
Vortininja

Re: Greetings from Fribbulus Xax

Post by Zilem »

Welcome to the Keenest forum!!

A Programmer/Level editor, and a Graphic/Music designer, do sound like a good team combo ^.^
Kind of wish my siblings was into modding. ;p
keenmaster486 wrote:Quick question: Is it possible to use the source code from Netkeen to "recompile" the original Galaxy engine and recreate Keens 4,5,6? If we could do this, would it eliminate the need for patching? Just wondering.
To also have the option to play the Keen games (and Mods) in co-op?
in lan and online?
with a set of characters to chose from.
lemm wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote: Or maybe we could all sign a petition for id to release the Keen source code.
Id will surely deliver. Let us just wait...
ID might deliver, if ZeniMax gives them permission
or if ID ware still the Original dream-team (not the current shell of ID in name only.)
as John Carmack released the source code for Wolfenstein, Doom, don't recall him doing it for the Quakes, but i'm pretty sure ZeniMax put a stop to it after they got hold on ID.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh for the love of gargs! Don't bring this subject again! It's more likely that id software/zenimax will bankrupt and vanish from the face of Earth than release the source code, give the rights to someone else or make a new keen game. Move on!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Yeah, if I do modding at all on Win98 TED5 is probably the way to go.

Although there is KernelEx + updates, with which you can run Firefox 10 and Opera 12, albeit with various bugs - but they probably run way too slow for Abiathar!
Zilem wrote:To also have the option to play the Keen games (and Mods) in co-op?
in lan and online?
with a set of characters to chose from.
Well, that wasn't what I was thinking exactly but it would be really cool. I think Netkeen should have a two-player split screen mode.
wiivn wrote:Oh for the love of gargs! Don't bring this subject again!
I guess that's a pretty dead horse :p
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

Greetings back, also from Fribbulus Xax.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

candyjack wrote:Greetings back, also from Fribbulus Xax.
You're on a vacation or on a business trip there? How much does it cost a trip?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Welcome keenmaster486 and Melierax! I like this interest in modding on windows 98 (and if you do so, might I recommend Paint Shop Pro 7 which works just splendidly on that OS)... I still have my win98 desktop but sadly I only use it for scanning documents on an old parallel port scanner. Anyhow I hope our new dynamic duo produce some epic modding works in the near future. In the now distant past I did try to induct my sister into the world modding, and this did indeed yield a couple of playable levels, involving a teddy bear called Cookie who is a chef. Perhaps she'll let me show it to you guys one of these days!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'm interested in modding on windows 3.11
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Where are you there? Let's meet for coffee 8)
wiivn wrote:You're on a vacation or on a business trip there? How much does it cost a trip?
I'm actually on a secret mission for the Grand Intellect. I'm not allowed to talk about it.
benvolio wrote:I like this interest in modding on windows 98 (and if you do so, might I recommend Paint Shop Pro 7 which works just splendidly on that OS)... I still have my win98 desktop but sadly I only use it for scanning documents on an old parallel port scanner. Anyhow I hope our new dynamic duo produce some epic modding works in the near future.
Hmm... I haven't used anything except for MS Paint. I really ought to get into better tools. What are the specs of your machine? Depending on those, you'll be able to use it for a lot more than that. (which you probably know already, but whatever) As for epic modding projects, all I have so far is my far-from-useful game engine :|
wiivn wrote:I'm interested in modding on windows 3.11
If I had my druthers I'd mod in pure DOS ;) But unfortunately there appear to be no suitable graphics editing tools (that I know of, that is...) And Win 3.1 Paintbrush has very annoying zoom, so that's out of the question :p
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Welcome, both! :) It's nice to see people interested in modding, too.

Getting a bit nostalgic when reading about modding on a Windows 98... (And agree with Benvolio that PSP7 is such a great tool - even on modern Windows!) :dopekeen But I have to say that I'm happiest with the latest tools and technology when it comes to modding; safely emulating things in DosBox, not needing to fear causing some kind of disaster that just might have happened without. And as said, some newer editors that don't work in older systems are so good.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

wiivn wrote:
You're on a vacation or on a business trip there? How much does it cost a trip?
I migrated to this place because I didn't feel at home among human beings. It costs fortunes.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].