Any Musicians Here?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

What instrument do you play?

None
21%
Piano/Keyboard
43%
String instrument (violin, cello, etc.)
No votes
Guitar (electric, acoustic, base, etc.)
14%
Other stringed instrument (e.g. mandolin)
No votes
Woodwind (flute, clarinet, etc.)
No votes
Brass (trumpet, trombone, etc.)
No votes
Percussive ("idiophones", e.g. xylophone)
No votes
Drums
7%
"Mouth" (singing, 'beatboxing', etc.)
14%

Total votes: 14

keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Any Musicians Here?

Post by keenmaster486 »

I play the piano, and have ever since I was about four years old. My dad teaches me :p
Does anyone else here play an instrument? Of course the music composition people here probably do, but I'm terrible at composition and I still love to play the piano 8)
Maybe there's already a thread for this but I couldn't find one, or maybe it's too old.
Hmm... out of the 800 or so members here what's the probability that at least one plays both the mandolin and the trombone? :p

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I love singing too - in choirs and such. But I put piano in the poll since that's my main instrument :D
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oh yeppers. I think I started at 4. Maybe 5. But I ain't no child prodigy, that's for sure. I'm really starting to hate recording these midi tracks. I can keep time, but I want a flexible tempo.
The intro is a tiny bit slower than the rest of the song.... but no. Gotta play like a robot. I play with fire! with passion! I'm a stompy, hamhanded, angry Ludwig van Debussy in a tarkus tank.

Over the years, I feel like I've lost a lot of dexterity. Woe is me. Washed up, burnt out and retired already. It's a scary thought.

I wish I was a rockstar, so I dabble in the dark arts of the guitar. ( https://youtu.be/m5o3nms6ueE [better with headphones, i think. not probably mixed])
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
The_CrY
Grunt

Post by The_CrY »

Yes! My main instrument is keyboard/synthesizer, so that's what I ticked, but I can also play guitar and Irish whistles. But sorry, no mandolin or trombone :p
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

The_CrY wrote:Irish whistles
I too am a player of the Feadóg Stáin (Tin Whistle), albeit a reasonably poor one.

I also can play the violin (well, up to grade six in the Irish grades which are easier than the more widely accepted London ones) although sadly my classical training on this instrument has been on a prolonged hiatus for over five years due to time constraints and, of course, poor motivation.

And I continue to very slowly improve on the guitar, which I am particularly proud of as I am entirely self-taught. Though as I've been at it for pretty much exactly a decade now, it could be argued that my guitar prowess is a little disappointing...
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

I play the piano/keyboard recreationally now for at least a decade now. I also used to play the trumpet back in high school but at soon as I finished year 12 I no longer had a motivation. I don't even have the diaphragm for it anymore. :(

I used to have access to a proper synthesizer and MIDI keyboard for it, but it was never really mine to begin with. >:
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

kazoo 8)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

I've been singing for 16 years and producing for 10. I've also known basic trumpet for 12 years, and basic keyboard and drums for 9 years. And I picked up the ukulele 2 days ago. I could be my own jazz band.