-

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

-

Post by keenmaster486 »

-
Last edited by keenmaster486 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well said! You're awesome too! About the activity here... It's kind of depressing and unless something big happens (bigger than releasing source codes), the community will continue to shrink (active members are like 15-20 rather than 150-200).
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Hey hey! It's a blessing when new members like you burst onto the keen scene. Nisaba and {DARKDUNE}, too.

I suppose this forum was made October 2007, but from what I understand, this is version 2.0? Something about the old, original forums crashing and burning... but I dunno.

Also there's some secret plotting going on... :gimp
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

out now (link) : Image
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

It has been nice to see a little wave of new active members in recent months. I've been here since 2010 now and have seen people come and go, but the long history of this forum and the EZBoard and other forums before it is impressive. The community may be small, but it has never come close to dying.

Another promising thing is many members are younger than the game itself. I'm a year younger, and we now have people like Quinton, Fleexy, and others who are significantly younger and as Keen as ever. I guess the game's appeal is ongoing, and hasn't really been tapped by other studios.

A note on the memberlist here: there are certainly more than a few bots there.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

I have been lurking for about the past 3 years. While I never contributed very much to the body of art, music, or mods (I started a Keen 1 mod and a Keen 5 mod and never got around to completing either), I've always liked coming here and seeing the results of some very talented people's labor.

In a way, it's kind of comforting: I joined the forum before I was in high school and have grown up immensely since then, yet this place is still here and still chugging along.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Did you ever release those incomplete mods? Such things are always interesting.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote:Did you ever release those incomplete mods? Such things are always interesting.
2x.
out now (link) : Image
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Levellass wrote:Did you ever release those incomplete mods? Such things are always interesting.
Well, the Vorticons 1 mod is here. I had a couple more levels and enemy replacements done back in the day, but lost the files somehow. Barring a miracle, this is the last surviving copy. I've actually been trying to reboot this one. Lots of things are possible now: sloped tiles, music, etc.

As far as I know, the Keen 5 mod is a total loss. I'll keep looking though!

EDIT: The working name for the Keen 5 mod was "Keenwave". Obviously this led to confusion with the sound & music patching utility of the same name.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Interesting interesting, It would be nice to see some life breathed into that project, looks like it has a lot of potential.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Maybe some strategic advertising of the best mods? Atroxian Realm, since it's GPL, would be perfect for this.
Well, thank you for that! If you want to continue spreading the mod, please do. I'm not sure that all that many people have played it.
As far as I know, the Keen 5 mod is a total loss. I'll keep looking though!
Was this the Keenweb mod? I have some folders on my computer dating back to 2010 that I think you released at one point. I could upload those if you want, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Regarding the forum, it definitely feels like things have quieted down in recent years (to be expected). I wasn't around for the old forum, but it seems like things here were most active when Ceilick was working on Keen 8 and especially Keen 9. I think a lot of people moved on after those were released.

I don't have the time to devote to Keen like I once had, but I'm still trying to do what I can to make new stuff. I have a smaller project that's about 80% complete, so you all might see that sometime soonish.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

-
Last edited by keenmaster486 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I should clarify, I'm one year younger than the game I grew up with - K4. Two years younger than K1-3.

Wow, that's interesting, DOS has finally died out? My year level and many ones below still played some DOS games in high school despite most of us never actually using DOS. The games were portable and unrestricted, I guess.

My parents still remember Keen very favourably. Which is nice. :)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

-
Last edited by keenmaster486 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It is said that nothing is dead until its name is not spoken.