How to get all computer noise out of your workspace

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

How to get all computer noise out of your workspace

Post by Keening_Product »

Expensive fans? Complex water cooling? Fanless PSU? To Mortimer with that garg, here's the most effective solution I've tried:

PUT THE TOWER IN ANOTHER ROOM.

Obviously you need to have the space and money (maybe $30) for cables, but if you have all that then this is an incredibly easy and pretty much perfect solution.

I will write a blog post on this once I've done a bit more testing, but here are some basics for those who want to play along at home: USB2 has good enough range for a simple hallway move (when it comes to KB/mouse latency you don't need the shorter-ranged USB3 standard), HDMI and DVI are easily extended (I have two 3m HDMI cables joined with a cheap adapter to make a 6m cable), and on the rare occasion you actually need to use the optical drive it's not that much of a walk. It's exercise. It's good for you.

I hate fan noise and for years have tried to make my system as quiet as possible. Money is always an issue, so I haven't been able to go all our on flashy new cases or anything like that. Just moving the box into the hallway is working perfectly for me, and the room I'm typing this from is almost eerily quiet now.

Obviously this won't work for everyone, but some of you sitting next to your PJE (personal jet engine) might appreciate the tip.

One idea I have toyed with is putting a Thunderbolt 2 card into my computer and running just one wire to a dock on my desk. Thunderbolt 2 is an incredible standard and can carry everything - data for three monitors, audio, USB3, and more - all in one cable! The problem is the cost - when I priced such a setup it came out as expensive as a new computer! (And that's not even considering the cost of the cable itself and the fact all docks I found only have one non-Thunderbolt display out port, which is a killer for multi-monitor setups when neither monitor has Tunderbolt.)

I hope this post makes sense; I have had very little sleep lately and am not all that well. (Nothing terminal, don't send flowers.)

xo Will.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
candyjack
Vortininja

Re: How to get all computer noise out of your workspace

Post by candyjack »

Keening_Product wrote: I hope this post makes sense; I have had very little sleep lately and am not all that well.
So that's why you're doing this.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

*Looks at laptop that has been glued to the table*
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I can't hear your post over my 98' computer and the switch next to it.
Levellass wrote:*Looks at laptop that has been glued to the table*
Silly Lass, you're supposed to glue it to your lap
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

MoffD wrote:
Levellass wrote:*Looks at laptop that has been glued to the table*
Silly Lass, you're supposed to glue it to your lap
I tried, I just put it down for a minute...
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.