Spambots

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Spambots

Post by keenmaster486 »

There's a pretty interesting one here now. Even tries to post pseudorelevant info...
Perhaps we should have a thread for reporting spam. Or maybe not... It seems like we get our fair share of it here. :dopefish
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Though spammers do come by fairly often, Keening_Product does a good job of getting rid of any messages in a timely fashion. As such, I don't think a spam reporting thread would be too useful.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

True, but sometimes it would be fun a just keep a few in a thread if they turn out being hilarious, just for a laugh. :lol
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

OK, this is kind of why I made this thread...
this one is hilarious (before Keening_Product nixes it :) ) The whole post is incoherent rambling, probably random sentences yanked off of high-traffic websites.
I just think it's funny how whoever wrote the spambot expects somebody out there to actually click on the link. OK, I admit it, I clicked on the link: the site is totally bogus! There aren't even any ads on the site that the clickbait would have led you to. These people must be making money somehow. Are there simply enough morons in the world to keep them afloat?
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's a deliberate strategy; intelligent, even competent people will not fall for this sort of thing, instead the target is those who are unable to make proper judgements. A large number of these are children and young teens who lack experience, and the elderly who lack online know-how. (Though the mentally handicapped are also targets.) By filtering out all those highly unlikely to succumb as early as possible scammers minimize false leads and wasted clicks and maximize potential revenue. All they need is one in ten thousand to click to make a profit, sometimes less.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.