Finding a new home for the PCKF

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Can we port all our current PCKF and K:M chats over if we change platform? Actually, wouldn't it also be sweet to include any surviving archived chats from ezboard and other forums from back in the day, to carry their hallowed content forward for the perusal of another generation?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

In theory, a database and file transfer should result in a 1:1 copy we can then upgrade.

When it comes to migrating ezboard, I assume it'd be a pain because it was never done in the first place. But maybe some board translation script or program has been developed since the move, iunno.

Edit: I just found an ezboard->phpBB converter. Won't work for phpBB3 according to one source, but we can just do the transfer before the upgrade.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I think having the old chats (locked of course) would just serve as a nice little 'museum', enriching our Keening culture and acknowledging how much of a past we have. Particularly as the existence of the Keen community spans the entire history of the internet and the dramatic evolution of the capabilities of the internet (even if the pckf itself uses the technology of fifteen years ago). If needs be I'm sure the chats could be manually transferred to a contemporary format.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

You've convinced me this needs to be done now, haha. Very nice plan. The Public Commander Keen Museum.

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Okay, I'm upgrading my hosting package for other reasons and might have some spare capacity soon too.

KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

During the move, please also take the opportunity to add https; this is practically the only site I have left without the green lock thingie. I've heard there were newish cert authorit(ies?) designed to be free of charge and supposedly simple to setup (though I lack the experience to say for sure).
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

You can get them free? That's a surprise. Not sure I'd trust a free SSL haha

Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

StartSSL gives free Domain Validation certificates. Before you can get one, you have to verify that you own the domain; it sends an e-mail to the owner registered in the DNS entry. I've used them before, the process is painless and seems secure. If it was exploitable, I'm sure they would lose their CA status in a hurry :)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I'm curious what they get out of it. Ad revenue on their website or something?

KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Wikipedia doesn't appear quite as encouraging, unfortunately.
Fleexy wrote:Before you can get one, you have to verify that you own the domain; it sends an e-mail to the owner registered in the DNS entry.
If I recall correctly, the one I was thinking of was even more automated. Verification(/management?) via a program called "certbot", which seems to have gathered quite a bit of support - I believe it is available on multiple distros, including OpenSUSE.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

You're thinking of Let's Encrypt, which is also free. That's an option too!

I'm not sure of StartSSL's exact business model, but I do know that they sell fancier certificates (wildcard ones, Extended Validation) and also have some sort of intermediate CA program.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

As some of you know, I'm admin over at Lemmings Forums. On this, I managed to merge the posts from all past iterations on the site as well as the latest one prior to the move - two different formats of database backups, and the last one all we had was admin access to the forum (no database access).

If moving existing content gets tricky and you need some help, feel free to ask me. It's probably better to try and contact me on LF; I don't visit here very often.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Keening_Product wrote:I'm curious what they get out of it. Ad revenue on their website or something?
I have mentioned before in the past about google ads to make the community revenue and it was declined by the team of Cho'gal, eK & Floase. I even suggested the option of adding PayPal Donations, that was also declined I Believe that adurdin also rejected those revenue streams, hopefully with a new moderation team those options will be considered, they should be considered if the PCKF wants to ensure it's survival
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I would personally prefer (strongly) to not have third-party ads here. A discreet donation link to help with server costs would be appropriate, though.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Fleexy wrote:I would personally prefer (strongly) to not have third-party ads here. A discreet donation link to help with server costs would be appropriate, though.
Amen.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.