Platformania

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Dreams
Vortininja

Platformania

Post by Dreams »

Hi everyone, I have always been a big fan of 2d platform games for PC, and I can't count the hours I've played Commander Keen, Jazz and also the Mario Brothers game on the NES. What I always liked the most is creating your own world, so I've put some free time into creating a web-based platform game with a level editor where everyone can make their own worlds.

If you are familiar with Keen modding tools, you'll probably have no trouble getting started with the Level Factory, and I can't wait to see what creative things people can make!

It is currently in playable status but it's nowhere near finished. I'm still looking for designers to make the sprites and tiles better looking. Also I'd love to hear your ideas and feedback! I'm always working on the game. I also know you guys are experts in sidescroller level design, so let's see if you like to work with this editor :)

Some of the objects might be a little hard to understand, and I still have to add a Help section to the editor. But don't worry, just try things out and you can't really do anything wrong :D

This is the link for the website: http://platformania.com
The editor is available here: http://platformania.com/newlevel/
Last edited by Dreams on Tue Nov 08, 2016 18:43, edited 2 times in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

If you have any specific tileset needs, I think I can contribute with graphics.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I wish I had the time to dive into this.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Dreams
Vortininja

Post by Dreams »

wiivn wrote:If you have any specific tileset needs, I think I can contribute with graphics.
Wow, that would be awesome! I think I can use anything you can contribute, you can always send it to me here on PCKF, or info@levelfactory.com !
Levelass wrote:I wish I had the time to dive into this.
Wow, I'd love to see your work some time! :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

OK I've made some tiles.
Dreams
Vortininja

Post by Dreams »

wiivn wrote:OK I've made some tiles.
Hi! If you want, you can send it to info@levelfactory.com ! Would love to see the tiles!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

How are there 6452 levels and counting (yesterday were like 5000+), while I can see and play no more than 100 levels?
Dreams
Vortininja

Post by Dreams »

That's a good question! There was a bug where crawler bots could make levels too. That is fixed now.

Also tons of other bugs have been fixed and I'm adding new objects and tiles almost every day!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Dreams wrote:That's a good question! There was a bug where crawler bots could make levels too. That is fixed now.
I...

HOW?!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote:HOW?!
why?
out now (link) : Image
kvee
Vortininja

Post by kvee »

They think they're people!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Nisaba wrote:
why?
Seriously, how can a crawler create anything resembling a level? And don't you have a ROBOT.TXT file somewhere to keep the polite ones out?
Dreams
Vortininja

Post by Dreams »

Levellass wrote:
Nisaba wrote:
why?
Seriously, how can a crawler create anything resembling a level? And don't you have a ROBOT.TXT file somewhere to keep the polite ones out?
The polite ones weren't the problem, but it's one of those problems you don't think of when designing something like this.

Now if the robots built good FUN levels, it'd be okay! :)
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Dreams wrote:Now if the robots built good FUN levels, it'd be okay! Happy
Hey, someone should write an algorithm, taking into account all the rules of good level-building, to create random levels. That would be interesting.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Ugh. I imagine soon there will be bots making levels, and then bots playing, recording and uploading to youtube. Bots are taking all over the world! What an awful future...