Dropbox - aka warning for WinXP users

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Do you use Windows XP?

Yeah
40%
Nope
60%

Total votes: 10

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Nisaba wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I always open msconfig and disable everything that isn't necessary.
yip, at one point I was using a batch routine to do such things for me automatically...
Really? Would you have a copy of said batch file? :begging

Edit: Reason being, I was curious how you would edit such things via command line. It'd be handy to know for my job.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@MoffD: therefor I need to dig a bit. not sure if I kept a copy since XP time is over for me now...
Last edited by Nisaba on Thu Aug 04, 2016 22:56, edited 3 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Nisaba wrote:@MoffD: therefor I need to dig a bit. not sure if I kept a copy since XP time is over for me now...
Thanks. If you find it, that will save me searching the web for hours :)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

ok, found something (concerning manipulation of some Regedit stuff)... let's see if I remember this correctly. you might wanna do some researches on this as well.

let's say you want to deny some transmission reports to Microsoft in Win7.
for eg, imagine there is a file you are about to open up but a matching program isn't yet attached. you are gonna do something like rightclick your file, choose open with and on the bottem there should be something written like "look for the appropriate program on the web". say you don't want this massage nor do you want this web service to take action.

therefor do the following
  • open up a text editor of your choice
  • type the following text
  • save the document as *.reg.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoInternetOpenWith"=dword:00000001
    • to give you a clue.
    • the content of the [...] brackets is the path
    • the second row shows a new added DWORD with the name NoInternetOpenWith and the hex value of 1
if you are about to remove Libraries like Favorites, Music, Pictures etc. from Windows 7 Explorer Navigation Pane, write down the following:

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}}
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
“{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}”=-
and to reactivate it check this script: WIN7_Library_Reactivation.reg

ps: you might need to take ownership of ShellFolder key. are you familiar with doing such things?
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:21, edited 3 times in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

to stop or start a Windows Service via batch.
let's say you wanna disable the Windows Error Reporting Service. therefor again open a editor and type the following. after that save it as a *.bat file.

@ECHO OFF
Echo disabling the Windows 7 Error Reporting Service
Echo.

sc config WerSvc start= disabled
net stop WerSvc /y

Echo.
Echo done

pause
to give you a clue what is going on here:
  • (Line 5) the service control-manager (sc) is told to configure the Reporting Service to be disabled.
  • "WerSvc" is the services that should be stopped. Don't use the display name but the real service name. to look it up open up services.msc and right-click the service you want to edit. go to properties and you should get the real service name.
  • it's important to put a space between "start= " and "disabled" (enabled, demand)
  • (Line 6) "net stop" is the syntax command
  • "/y" just tells to run everything in quiet mode
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Very nice, thanks again!