Humans: Dominant Species?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Are human beings the chief/most successful species of Earth?

Yes
50%
No
19%
I, not being a human, am very offended by the bias and narcissism of this poll.
31%

Total votes: 16

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Humans: Dominant Species?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

We are very narcissistic. Our main points is that we're basically the only creature that is not only sentient, but also highly intelligent, capable of vocal communication with each other, and possess the coveted opposable thumbs that allow us to put our brains and resources to good use by creating tools, and eventually civilizations. Our innovations have reached a point where we no longer have fear of predators, and have broken down the endeavors of hunting and gathering to stopping by the supermarket.

However, in the long-term, we haven't been around for very long. Things like crocodiles and turtles long surpass us in longevity. Bugs and Insects are much more successful when it comes to the capability to adapt and their overall timeline. It looks as though humans are destined to be driven into extinction. Not anywhere in the near-future, mind you, but the state of the environment and limited resources isn't helping. But the future is a mystery. Who knows? Maybe we'll find a way to leave Earth and our solar system. Even if that miracle happens, other worlds have biosystems that are completely alien, and thus it would be extremely difficult to try to populate another world without being infected by alien diseases our bodies didn't prepare an immunity for (or the vice-versa).

But I'm getting way ahead of myself. This topic is supposed to be about Earth, right? You think humans deserve the title 'Rulers of Earth' or whatnot?
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

The fact is that there really can't be a single most perfect species, or dominant species or whatever. Evolution as Darwin described it is not a progression towards a "better" point, really, but simply adaptive change occurring over generations to help a species fit into its environment better. Species such as humans and mice could theoretically be seen as more successful than rare species because they have proliferated so much and spread to so many environments, but population isn't the only measure of success: what mice have in terms of rapid reproduction and amazing adaptability they lose in their short lifespans and individual vulnerability. And with humans, although we are the most populous large mammal species on earth, our population is not sustainable; if a large percent of a species is starving then it can't be that successful. Furthermore, our technological capabilities and higher thought, for all the improvement they've brought on the world, have also caused humans to be among the most self-destructive species on the planet.

I will say, in short, that humans are not the most successful species on earth, because there is no such thing. If nothing else, there are too many criteria to be considered. (If we're only doing this by population I'd go with bacteria, hands down.)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I'll measure with capability, and I say we are. We have been to outer space -- come on, OUTER SPACE!! We have writing systems, abilities to imagine things that have no existence whatsoever, and can understand that as well, and we have arts. We can alter ourselves with medicine and surgeries. We can blow up the whole fucling planet if we want to. :mort
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

i agree that we humans are not the best in certain things but we are good in a lot of things
we are not the most adaptable but we are pretty good
we are not physically powerful but we dont need to be
we are the smartest species on this planet
we can create incredibly complex devices out of nothing
we can read/write
we cooperate even if we gain nothing
ect ect

if we encounter a problem we think of a solution
if our body's can't handle things we create a solution

that is what sets us apart from the rest
all those thing combined make us successful
(i used to be ME!)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
shikadi314
Grunt
Location: The Universe,Milky Way,Solar System, Earth,Europe,United Kingdom,England

Post by shikadi314 »

Yep.
Been playing Keen for years.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

The successfulness is rather a cold hard fact, seeing as we are the animals most resident on the planet, even in control of choosing what other species can go extinct.

Whether one can like this is, of course, a different matter altogether.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
jimmyjames
Vortininja

Post by jimmyjames »

Everyone knows that our friend the Dope Fish is the dominant species. Me being a Lick and having killed Keen numerous times before he could get past me, am not offended but confused how this idea ever came to be.
Forget it.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This question is outdated many years or centuries ago. :) It's clear that humans are dominating ...for now. It's also clear that as dominants, the humans are destroying their own habitat. And we aren't making much about it. The most terrifying thing is that most of the people didn't realize this or didn't care. It's really late for us now to save the planet, to prevent pollution, wars, disasters etc. The question that should bother you is: will and how many of the humans will be able to survive the end of 2012? Where will you be at the end of this year?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't think much is going to happen in four years, or that the world will end then. Too bad... :p A saddening truth(?), in any case.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

KeenRush wrote:I don't think much is going to happen in four years, or that the world will end then. Too bad... :p A saddening truth(?), in any case.
The Mayans obviously think something very different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2 ... Long_Count

December 21,2012 is a very significant date. Popularly believed to be the Doomsday. But, as stated in that wiki, this date on the mayan calendar may have been interpreted wrong, and does not indicate the end of the world.

But according to the X-files, 12,21,2008 is when the aliens are going to begin their re-colonization of Earth. Commander Keen better be back to save us then!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Indeed, 2012 has simply become the new trendy "End of the World" day. There have been plenty of them in the past, and we've survived them all. (Though, perhaps they were fulfilled in a series of alternate universes, averted due to enough people believing otherwise, it wouldn't surprise me).

Jose Arguelles is the most vocal proponent of this prophecy that I'm aware of, apparently based on his Grandfather's visions, IIRK. According to him, the only way to avoid disaster was to adopt the Dreamspell calendar worldwide by the middle of 2004, but there were many things wrong with his interpretation of the calendar for it to carry enough credibility for its adoption.

2012 is a meaningful date, the end of a great astrological cycle. I believe and hope that it heralds a change in our global society and mindset; the passing of our current view of the world, not its entire destruction.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I still think we'll be fine until January 19, 2038 at - wait for it - 3:14am...
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Malvineous wrote:I still think we'll be fine until January 19, 2038 at - wait for it - 3:14am...
I'm sure by then, most computers with anything important on them will be using 64-bit.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Genius wrote:I'm sure by then, most computers with anything important on them will be using 64-bit.
At least. 30 years is a long time. Look how much has changed in the last 30.