Political Thread Discussion

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Re: Political Thread Discussion

Post by Rorie »

Was Violence really needed in a peaceful democratic means of succession?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-02/c ... ts/9007206
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Of course, to PREVENT it. Bestway to do so, especially given the area is one of the wealthier in Spain.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Ah, but is it right?

The issue's been hashed over and over again.

We fought a bloody war over it in America. And now certain states (Cali, looking at you) are rumbling again for independence for different reasons.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

keenmaster486 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:28 Ah, but is it right?

The issue's been hashed over and over again.

We fought a bloody war over it in America. And now certain states (Cali, looking at you) are rumbling again for independence for different reasons.
But are the States even allowed to cede from the U.S and become independent again or are they constitutionally bared from doing so?
Up yours Fleexy!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

There have been legal cases in which the Supreme Court makes clear their position that secession from the Union is not constitutional.

Personally, I don't think that was the original intention of the Union. I think probably most of the Founding Fathers, if asked, would have foreseen a possible need for secession in the future. Their reason would probably have been, among others, what if the federal government becomes grossly incompetent? The States were originally supposed to be a lot more separate but equal political entities than simple geographical and cultural divisions within the nation.

But that was the issue the Civil War was fought upon - ostensibly, that is. We all know the deeper and darker reason that war had to be fought.

But think about this. What if the point of contention had not been slavery? What if it was something more innocuous like federal control of business practices within a state? Or the reasons the secession movement in California has been giving?

When I look at California I think they at least ought to have a right to secede. Also, I have selfish motives as a conservative. The exit of California from the Union would tilt the federal government fairly safely conservative.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

keenmaster486 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 17:47 There have been legal cases in which the Supreme Court makes clear their position that secession from the Union is not constitutional.

Personally, I don't think that was the original intention of the Union. I think probably most of the Founding Fathers, if asked, would have foreseen a possible need for secession in the future. Their reason would probably have been, among others, what if the federal government becomes grossly incompetent? The States were originally supposed to be a lot more separate but equal political entities than simple geographical and cultural divisions within the nation.

But that was the issue the Civil War was fought upon - ostensibly, that is. We all know the deeper and darker reason that war had to be fought.

But think about this. What if the point of contention had not been slavery? What if it was something more innocuous like federal control of business practices within a state? Or the reasons the secession movement in California has been giving?

When I look at California I think they at least ought to have a right to secede. Also, I have selfish motives as a conservative. The exit of California from the Union would tilt the federal government fairly safely conservative.
I did read something about the State of Hawai'i before the then territory voted for statehood that it's residents being able to vote for statehood only and nothing else and as a result with the now 50th state with no other option voted unanimously for statehood, Hawai'i was a U.S territory from 1898-1959. Hawai'i was granted Statehood on August 21, 1959, several months after when Alaska became the 49th state
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Catalonia prepared to push ahead with Independence and to cause the breakup of Spain, regardless of political oppression from the Central Government
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/wo ... on/9018800
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

The ghost of Tony Abbott lives on but for how much longer?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-17/c ... al/9057026
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Finally A State Premier sticking it up to the church and showing some balls without possible intervention from Australia's Capital
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-20/v ... nt/9066506

This makes me proud to be a born and bred Victorian, This is more important than gay marriage whom a nationwide vote on the subject is about to end. $122 million plus that Australia does not have which has been spent already!, And in case you all ask, I voted Yes to amending the marriage act to allow same sex couples to marry
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

The Battle for Catalan Independence just got messy1
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-19/s ... my/9067720
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

After nearly a decade of National Party rule New Zealand will have a new PM and it is the third female to obtain the office and she is only 37 years old!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-19/n ... rs/9067848
Up yours Fleexy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aah but the real power behind her is Winston Peters. He will keep her on a short leash, for it is by New Zealand First's votes that she lives or dies now. Such is a coalition government.
khouji
Grunt

Post by khouji »

It's a big mistake.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I'll give them a few onths to clean this mess up, otherwise I'm invoking my empress powers.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Jacinda Ardern sworn in as NZ's youngest PM in 150 years
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-26/j ... er/9088846
Up yours Fleexy!