Possible Trip to Germany

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Possible Trip to Germany

Post by Scilicet »

I am tentatively planning a trip to Germany in early- or mid-October. Depending on how much time I can get off work, I would like to be gone for 8-10 days.Since the board counts Germans and maybe those who have traveled to Germany as members, I am looking for ideas of places to go and things to do. My transportation costs (flight + train pass) are going to be a large outlay, so I am looking to save in other ways. Has anyone tried websites like Couchsurfing, Homestay, or AirBnB and is wiling to vouch for them?
Ideas I already have come up with:
Weltvogelpark Walsrode - I'm a huge bird nerd, so this is a must
Heide Park Resort
Abenteuer Park Potsdam
Altes Museum - Interested in Greek and Roman times
German Emigration Center

I have heard that the two main airports for international travel are in Munich and Hamburg. A lot of my interests seem to lie north, but flights to Munich are cheaper.

Also, I know some German (not sophisticated enough to express what I wrote above) and would like to use it. However, I have heard that Germans have a habit of switching to English when tourists struggle a little, and I want them to know that I am willing to struggle for a while and rely on English only as a last resort. Is there a way to make that preference known tactfully?
Any help you can offer will be appreciated.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Re: Possible Trip to Germany

Post by Rorie »

Mate you've come to the right person
I registered an account with AirBnb a while back however it was 3 months ago I was successful in securing a fully equipped house in South Australia for 2 people, I've never been to Germany, so I cannot help you with that, but what I can advise is that if you see a AirBnb you like and can afford, get in there asap. as some AirBnb's are cheaper and better than a hotel room, these AirBnb's can book out quickly, I am considering booking one for Christmas/NYE in Gippsland, Victoria and the landlord has advised me first come, first serve, most AirBnb's have to be approved and when that occurs is when your Credit Card will be charged, back to SA, I got the house in Mount Gambier for 7 days at a price of 858 Australian Dollars whom for 2 people works out to be 429 Australian Dollars per person, it is close to the CBD and there's a short walk to the supermarket, so if anything I need whist away I can just walk it, and the landlord says she'll provide 2 keys for us both
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Scilicet wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 23:56 I have heard that the two main airports for international travel are in Munich and Hamburg. A lot of my interests seem to lie north, but flights to Munich are cheaper.
Munich will be crowded and expensive during the Oktoberfest, so mid-October would probably be the better choice if you want to take a flight to Munich. Be sure to check prices for travelling to the places you want to visit, that'll tell you if Munich really is cheaper. You're probably going to be travelling by train (www.bahn.de) or by bus (www.flixbus.de) for your daily trips. The websites I mention here are just the ones I remember right now. I haven't actually used them myself, so don't take this as a recommendation.

If you're into ancient history, you might want to visit Trier, the oldest city in Germany, founded 2000 years ago by the Romans.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Scilicet If I were to buy euros if I was to visit Germany or any other EU currency nation atm, the going rate would be 1 Australian Dollar to 63 Euro Cents, yes I have seen better rates before but in my opinion this is still a good buy rate, I purchased a flurry of US Dollars when the currency was worth 90 U.S Cents to the Aussie and now the rate is between 78-79USc, there was a point where it fell to 68USc for the first time in a few years back, even if I waited for it to fall below the fresh low or sold now I would still make a profit, I previous brought U.S dollars for trip back in 2011 and when I came back I brought more and I am glad I did but then my scheme could backfire but the good news I will have plenty of U.S currency for a future trip whom I intend to go back in Future, not just to Hawai'i but possibly the mainland or Alaska
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!