Mental Illness

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Mental Illness

Post by Rorie »

OK here a thread worth starting

I am mentally Ill, yes you have probably figured that out by now, but unless you suffer from this horrible disease, you don't know what it is like, many people that I work with don't understand my paranoia or delusional behavior and that I am on powerful restricted medication that has made me overweight but I don't have a choice, it is either take it or end up dead or in prison or the nut house, I have already been in the nut house, it was during a previous medication that I was going through drug withdrawal not from using illegal substances but very close to it, there's probably many users on this forum who have had psychotic episodes and are on or not on medication, if you feel comfortable discussing this, I encourage you to share your stories, but that it is voluntary, I am only sharing my story because I have lost two friends to suicide over the past 3 years and had mental issues, but I won't discuss them further as I still have lots of respect for even though they have departed, I have tried to take my live many times over the years, but I am thankful to still be here even at 34 years of age, I expected my life expectancy to be about 28 years, I have surpassed myself by 6 years, which is the same amount of time I have held my current job for, I am not all deeply religious and I rarely or not at all go to church and I don't pray, but I am thankful to god that he has kept me alive for 34 years, I make the most of my time on earth because I could be gone tomorrow if it is from natural causes or if my terrible disease takes my life from me, knowing that I could be depressions next victim!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Re: Mental Illness

Post by chrissifniotis »

Mate, firstly massive respect for starting the thread.
I don't really know but I suspect I might have a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome, but to be honest I'm simply basing that off of what little I know about it from TV. Apart from that I've had bouts of childhood depression and I used to have suicidal thoughts. By high school I joined deviantArt and through my fractal art I gained a lot of self-confidence, but was still very much an introvert and frightened of girls. I'm a 29 year old virgin too, the closest I've had to a relationship is a crush from afar, I liked this girl in high school and my bloody timidness compelled me to not do anything for a year. By the time I decided to do anything I not only discovered that she had a boyfriend he was one of my best friends. I do like to find someone for myself but my crippling introversion makes me want to stay home and go on the net. Don't get me wrong I love it here but I'm here because I just can't approach people to talk, never mind a woman I'm interested in.
Nowadays I am seeing someone, albeit on the internet, but it is a much better relationship than before. I also have a large Discord server with my friends from everywhere; MyAnimeList, Sailor Moon sites, artist friends from dA, even a few people from PCKF. I talk a lot openly about these things and I try to help everyone out. It's amazing the kind of people who are into wildly different things yet have a similar depression or anxiety. I'm a big believer in opening up and talking about issues because having learned from my experience it is such much more healthy than bottling it up and letting it do more damage.

We all should met up. I think a good way to help each other could be to physically meet with each other and just talk.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Massive respect from me too - good to see mental illness not being pushed under the rug and ignored.

I'm high functioning autistic (never formally diagnosed, but several psychiatrists have made observations to that effect), have suffered crippling depression literally my entire life, was thought to be bipolar for a while, have Terrible Anxiety which totally needs capital letters, and I like to pretend the years of my life from...oh about thirteen to twenty-four...just didn't happen because of the sheer amount of mental awful packed into them. I've been extremely suicidal (the worst of it in the aforementioned years) and very nearly made a few attempts on my life, though I now feel quite grateful that I always ended up chickening out. Right now I'm in a pretty decent place; the mental stuff is overpowered by the physical, and quite honestly I can say I've rediscovered myself in a way that settled a lot of my brainweasels, which helps.

(To be fair to me, my family either greatly won or greatly lost the genetic lottery - we're not quite sure which. Depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts very strong down mum's side, we don't know precisely what's come down my dad's side but there's definitely bits and pieces there too. We're all a mess. I think we're only alive cause we're too darn stubborn to die.)
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
hairmonster12
Grunt

Post by hairmonster12 »

I'm 99.9999% sure I'm on the Autistic spectrum too, though I was never diagnosed. Anyone who has seen my youtube videos has probably already figured that out lol :P
It used to really bother me when I was younger, i'd stay awake at night very depressed asking "why the hell am i so different?!" Being social is really hard for me to do, and I still really suck at meeting new people. But the thing is, what I lack in social ability, I make up for in other ways. Playing guitar for instance: I'm clumsy when trying to express myself through speaking words, but I can take a musical instrument and use it to express my emotions perfectly. That's why I've played music almost all my life! Doing YouTube is also a way for me to get better at speaking, and interacting with people. These days, I really enjoy being weird and kinda different, I wouldn't really want to be anyone else.

No matter who we are, life is almost always set on "HARD" difficulty, and we get no extra lives or saves to load. Still, I'd rather be playing the game than rage quit, because I want to see where the game of life will take me you know? :) I'm glad this thread got started, keep on being strong and brave my fellow Keeners!
chrissifniotis wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50
We all should met up. I think a good way to help each other could be to physically meet with each other and just talk.
like a KEENcon? that would be cool as hell:D
'Kay, so...
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

When I was a little kid in the early 90's, I was labeled with PDDNOS (which falls under the autistic spectrum). Throughout all of grade school, I had aids to help me focus and generally help me. I had trouble socializing like other kids, and often acted in strange ways. Through the years I've overcome it, but I also deal with a lot of emotional stress and general life confusion. I'm glad there's a topic for me to discuss this with :)
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Bonevelous wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 18:22 When I was a little kid in the early 90's, I was labeled with PDDNOS (which falls under the autistic spectrum). Throughout all of grade school, I had aids to help me focus and generally help me. I had trouble socializing like other kids, and often acted in strange ways. Through the years I've overcome it, but I also deal with a lot of emotional stress and general life confusion. I'm glad there's a topic for me to discuss this with :)
I was in my teens in the early 1990s, I too had trouble socializing with the other students, I was bullied a lot and as of so I misbehaved by taking matters into my own hands because I did not trust most of the teachers, there was only one teacher that I trusted and to this day I keep in regular contact with the now retired former teacher, OK I did loose contact with him for many years but eventually remade contact and there's only one of my former pupils that is my friend, I too also keep in regular contact with him
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

hairmonster12 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 22:02...
chrissifniotis wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50
like a KEENcon? that would be cool as hell:D
Sorry, I couldn't get to reply earlier. Anyway, absolutely! Let's invite Tom Hall down under! xD