Multimedia Fusion 2 or 2.5?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Multimedia Fusion 2 or 2.5?

Post by Mobiethian »

Hey folks! Some of you may know that for some time now, I've been developing a 2D Keen engine using Multimedia Fusion 2 build R257. It would be great if this thing can be made just right to develop some very fun levels with ease. Before I go any further with it, I'd like some help to make a decision. Would my current MMF version 2 itself be sufficient to pull this off? Or would it be worth it to buy v2.5, and if so, what would be the advantages/benefits of upgrading? Thanks in advance!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Multimedia Fusion 2 or 2.5?

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I guess it depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve. I have absolutely zero experience with Multimedia Fusion, so I wouldn't be able to help you with that decision anyway, but having some additional informations might make it easier for others to give you some advice.

On a related note, if creating fun levels with ease is all you want to do, you could probably use one of the existing Keen-style engines instead of creating your own engine. But if you actually like creating your own game code, then do it.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Thanks for the engine references, I'm actually very interested to see how those work.

Well, basically what I'm wanting to do is make a brand new engine. Something that is upscale and capable of implementing parallax scrolling, but stays within the classic 4-6 Keen style. Also using a much larger color palette for more detailed graphics and sprites.

If there are any advantages of upgrading to Fusion 2.5, it would be great to know what they are. But if I don't have to spend the money to buy the program again and can continue using what I'm using now to make the engine just as good, I'd be pleased to know that.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Mobiethian wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 18:35Well, basically what I'm wanting to do is make a brand new engine. Something that is upscale and capable of implementing parallax scrolling, but stays within the classic 4-6 Keen style. Also using a much larger color palette for more detailed graphics and sprites.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4252

8)
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

keenmaster486 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 19:20
Mobiethian wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 18:35Well, basically what I'm wanting to do is make a brand new engine. Something that is upscale and capable of implementing parallax scrolling, but stays within the classic 4-6 Keen style. Also using a much larger color palette for more detailed graphics and sprites.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4252

8)
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net/keengine.html

8)

If you want to see this engine in action, check out one of these fan-games:
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

K1n9_Duk3's engine is obviously much more mature than mine :lol

If you're wanting something to run on modern machines, KEENGINE is an obvious choice if not Multimedia Fusion.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.