Snow

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Snow

Post by Benvolio »

Does snow make people think of Commander Keen? Or is it just me?

Not sure why it makes me think of Keen. It doesn't snow much in Ireland and I don't think there was any snow at all in the years when I was getting into Keen.

I was always in particular fond of the ice levels in Keen1, probably more than any other Keen scenery... such a sense of mystery about it, you really felt like anything could happen to you in those levels.

I think seeing all that snowy stuff in Keen reminded me of playing in the snow earlier in childhood. We had some good snow years. In fact for years I think my dad had a webpage with an animated gif of a snow bear me/him/my sister made in about 1996... can't find it now on his site. I find snow evokes a sense of how things used to be... in particular I imaging it snowed all the time in the 1980s, a decade with which I can be quite obsessed. See videos of "Pictures of You", "Always" etc... and we all know that everything in the 1980s was building up to Commander Keen!

Anyway we've been having a lot of unseasonable snow here this year for some reason. It's just started up again today.

We're not like the North Americans etc... when a foot of snow falls here the country shuts down for a week and calls it "The Beast From The East". And nobody shovels the snow outside their premises... very dangerous, we could do with borrowing some american state laws on this issue!

Anyway snow has fallen and here I am on the PCKF. Have a hankering to play some ice levels... or make some?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Snow

Post by Roobar »

Snow is pretty common where I live and I associate it with Christmas. And if I have to associate it with Keenmas, it will be that:

But if I have to associate it with a game, it would be Jazz Jackrabbit 2.

Easter I associate with Hocus Pocus. Each year, when the Easter holidays are coming, I play some Hocus Pocus... It's like a tradition of mine. Now I have the Doom Hocus Pocus mod.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Snow + Keen... pure nostalgia!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3598#p79864
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

There's a certain connection, yes. When I was a kid it seems it was more often winter than it was summer. About all my memories of playing Keen happen in winter. I felt the same about those snow levels, Benvolio. Not sure if you've played IceKeen, but it's a snow themed level pack for Keen 1 I made in 2013 when I was programming akeen. The levels can be quite challenging: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/IceKeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I have played Ice-Keen and in fact it was one of the main inspirations for my most recent mod which I released later that same year (hoh garg that's five years ago almost)
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Come to think of it, something about snow is rather Keenish. Not that I've any idea what!
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

You people are weird.

:p
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Yeah, I get a feeling like that when riding a cranky old chair-lift. The forest of snow-laden trees that divide one slope from another is dead silent. The whole earth is still, except for the buzz-buzz coursing through the pipes and cables moving the hundreds of chairs along at a sleepy pace -- and a few squeaky wheels on every support tower. Used to ski/snowboard a lot when I was younger. Now if only it wasn't so garg expensive...
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!