Levellass, Are you OK?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Re: Levellass, Are you OK?

Post by nanomekia »

Look Szemi, we know you're worried. We're all worried and hoping everything's going well for her. Thing is, when you say stuff like that, it comes off sounding the opposite of what you intended - it sounds like you only care about the work she does for modding, rather than caring about her as a person. Watch the wording a little, alright?
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:17
szemi wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 15:17 Okay, it's getting annoying. Where is she?
Your attitude is getting annoying. Unless you are actually paying her for her work, she doesn't owe you anything and you seriously need to shut up.
Well, I only asked what about her. I DIDN'T MENTION ANY PATCH, OK? Since not only the patches are my goals from her. And I even have the patches I wanted from her if you really wanna know. And believe me, I have other things to do, too. If I only cared about her patches, then you would have the right to call me annoying, etc. But this didn't happen. And do you know what? I even appreciate what she contributed in this community. :)
So YOU better shut the hell up, but very quickly.

Look Szemi, we know you're worried. We're all worried and hoping everything's going well for her. Thing is, when you say stuff like that, it comes off sounding the opposite of what you intended - it sounds like you only care about the work she does for modding, rather than caring about her as a person. Watch the wording a little, alright?
I only wanted to know what about her since she only logged in keenmodding.org, but not here. And no, I don't only care about modding, I'm really worried about her since everybody saw she hasn't posted in PCKF (not keenmoddin.org) what's news or something. I'm not greedy, I'm not a little whining kid that wants everything at the same immediately. And I have things to do without modding. :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Hey, I was gone since like 2015. I want my thread begging me to return for caring and considerate reasons unrelated to helping the OP make keen mods.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I feel she might be burned-out and/or depressed. Certainly hoping that's not the case! But judging by her posts, she's had so much misfortune that I wouldn't be surprised if it were something like that. And she has a family, which can take a lot of time.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It's not only Levellass that's missing here. Although quite obviously her absence is the most noticeable. Where are ckguy, DaVince, Lava89, Djaser, Malvineous, StupidBunny, tulip, _mr_m_, Grimson, ckGeoff, Shilor, guynietoren, Nospike, Scarlet, GameBird, GARGapplesauce, MOM4Evr, T-Squared, Benvolio, Bernie and others?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Yeah, good question, because Fleexy is the only active admin here for example.
Yeah, piece of cake!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Real Life rears its ugly head.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Well, if she is not here for long, somebody must "replace" her for a while. For example lemm and/or somebody, who can handle the patches people request/requested.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 21:52 Well, you could learn how to write your own patches... :mortlol
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

There is no such role as "magic community patch genie" unless someone has the goodwill to step into those shoes. Much has been said of how patching has become a lost art and that was partly due to the fact that there was only one active patcher doing 1000% of it and nobody was bothering to learn it themselves afaik.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

--> Patch Bequest <--

Image :mort
out now (link) : Image
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Well if returning meant demands to produce patches under similar pressure to IRL trouble she's probably encountering at the moment, I can't blame her for taking an extended absence. It has probably become an all or nothing situation in which it is impossible for her to be present here without a sense of obligation.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Commander Spleen wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:59 Well if returning meant demands to produce patches under similar pressure to IRL trouble she's probably encountering at the moment, I can't blame her for taking an extended absence. It has probably become an all or nothing situation in which it is impossible for her to be present here without a sense of obligation.
^ this. It's not the exact same situation - I don't patch for a start - but I've been run out of a few places (not here, of course, let me make that clear right now) because I simply couldn't keep up with the translation demands being dropped on me. Every time it started out as doing something a little ambitious for fun and suddenly being pounced on as the Only Person Who Could Do This, even if there were others just as competent or even more so as me. Because god forbid they put in even half the effort that was expected of me.

I'm not going to be nearly as nice this time Szemi. Cool it. Your current entitled attitude is probably the last thing 'lass wants to see when she comes back.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I'm not going to be nearly as nice this time Szemi.
And who cares? I know some people, who are not nice already (not only concretely here). So it's not a novelty for me, this completely leaves me cold...
Yeah, piece of cake!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

First of all, if what I've heard about Lass so far is true, let's hope it'll eventually be much better for her!

As for modding, well, I've forgotten to mention this, but we do have, at least for certain games, a few ways other than patching these days.

Indeed, we have the Keen Dreams sources, as well as the related Catacomb 3-D sources. A combination of these, along with more earlier work, was eventually used as a base for the source modding package known as "CKSRCMOD". I'm sure there are more bits that you can find out.