Health Care In The United States

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Health Care In The United States

Post by Rorie »

have any of you americans walked into a hospital & still got medical attention?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Yes....but let me guess...

Standardized health care is the way to go?
najawa
Grunt

Yup...

Post by najawa »

It's called the ER... or Emergency Room

You walk in (even if its a cold).
You pay a bit more, but yeah, they'll help you before they charge you. That's the evil of it.

On the plus side, you do get medical attention when you need it.
A friend who lived in England broke her arm. She had to wait three weeks to get a pain killer for it...

In America, if you need something, and you can't pay for it, you get grants from charities, based on you're need.

From what I hear, in other countries, it's first come first served. So, because Capitan Common Cold called up first, he's going to see the doctor before the hemophiliac who was bleeding to profusely to get to the phone right away...

Idk... the question was worded a little stangely, so let me know if I answered it correctly...
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

Compared to countries with UHC systems, in the US we pay more money to get something that we still have to wait for that is of lesser quality that far fewer people can use, and those that can't afford it have a life expectancy lower than that of a middle-class person in Ghana.
najawa
Grunt

Post by najawa »

True... but we can afford it, and those who can't can apply for grants, and be in the hospital just as quickly as those on standardized health care...

And our health care quality is pretty good, actually... you can't bash something unless you've been treated in more then one of our hospitals... so don't
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

What kind of 'grants' are you talking about? I can't imagine that any significant portion of the 16% of Americans without health care would be able to receive health care 'grants' in any realistic sense. Something like more than half of bankruptcies in the US are due to medical expenses. Considering I've never heard of too many people in UHC countries wishing they had privatized health care, I think it's a safe assertion that our health care system is fucl up.
Last edited by Allstories on Tue Dec 23, 2008 0:54, edited 1 time in total.
najawa
Grunt

Post by najawa »

Meh... my bad, I was thinking unemployment... but people are fucltards, and spend that shiz on alcohol, cigarettes, and DVDs

But there are charities who will help if you really can't help yourself... but yeah, it's not perfect...

But neither is national healthcare...
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

najawa wrote:Meh... my bad, I was thinking unemployment... but people are fucltards, and spend that shiz on alcohol, cigarettes, and DVDs

But there are charities who will help if you really can't help yourself... but yeah, it's not perfect...

But neither is national healthcare...
No offense, but this seems like an extremely naive way of viewing our society.
najawa
Grunt

Post by najawa »

To be honest, turning 18 absolutly petrifies me... but I wouldn't want national healthcare... I know that in the long run, it's a bad option.

It may be awesome when I'm starting out, and can't afford anything, but I don't want to suffer for the rest of my life, having to wait...

Idk... Maybe I am a little naive, but I know that sometimes health care is a matter of time, and with National Health Care, even those who need immediate help are put in line...
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

Pretty much every other country in the developed world has universal health care except for us. I don't think UHC is as bad as you think. It's not like we don't have waiting times, and it's not like people in other countries are getting pushed aside in their death throes for people with mild headaches. That would be absurd.

In any case, which do you think causes more deaths: Having to wait an twenty extra minutes to get help, or not being able to afford help at all?
najawa
Grunt

Post by najawa »

An excellent point, but we still end up paying for it...
Idk, I guess it's inevitable due to who our president elect is, but only time will tell whether it's a good or a bad thing...