Why America Needs To Introduce Tougher Gun Controls Now!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

Syllypryde wrote:I have a cousin who lives in Canada, where they have free health care for everyone. She lives in Toronto. She has told me on a few occasions that it can take 9 months to year and a half just to get checked out for a cold! If it takes that long to see a doctor for something as minor as a cold, then how long does it take for people who are seriously sick? Free health care is a nice notion, but what good is it if you cannot even get an appointment to be checked out? What would someone with cancer do? A.I.D.S.? Diabetes? Lukemia? You're f--ng DEAD before the doctor even decides to get around to examining you!
In the US we pay more money to get something that we still have to wait for that is of lesser quality that far fewer people can use, and we still have a pitiful average life expectancy. If UHC was as bad as your friend says it is, it wouldn't be used by every other country in the developed world, and people in those countries wouldn't unanimously agree that the US is crazy for having the health care system that it does.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Allstories wrote:In the US we pay more money to get something that we still have to wait for that is of lesser quality that far fewer people can use, and we still have a pitiful average life expectancy. If UHC was as bad as your friend says it is, it wouldn't be used by every other country in the developed world, and people in those countries wouldn't unanimously agree that the US is crazy for having the health care system that it does.
I am willing to admit that the health care system in the US definitely needs some serious help. UHC could just be bad in my cousin's part of the country and not all of Canada as a whole. As great as UHC is, it most be very expensive and difficult to impliment and make effective. Because if UHC was so easy, wouldn't most of the world (most especially the US) have it already?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I apologize for being petty, but why are we discussing health care on a "tougher gun control" topic? :p
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Syllypryde wrote:
Rorie wrote: You call Americans idiots, but if we are so stupid then why do people from all different countries come to our colleges and universities for an education? If America is such a horrible country to live in then why do millions of Mexicans, Asians, Arabs, etc. immigrate to our country each year? If America is so corrupt and stupid then why do millions of people in dozens of countries imitate our lifestyles, our customs and our social behaviors? It's quite interesting that most of the world hates us, yet they like our money, like our schools, like our celebrities, like our movies and television programs, like our music, like our clothes and fashions, and will send members of their families to come live in the United States for a better life. That's not too bad for a country with a poor health care system!
Patrick
If you want to trade away a real cultural identity for the life of luxury. I didn't choose to be born here, ya know :(
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Mon Jan 26, 2009 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
Gr1nreaper
Vortininja

Post by Gr1nreaper »

Syllypryde wrote:I apologize for being petty, but why are we discussing health care on a "tougher gun control" topic? :p
It's Rorie's soapbox/thread. He takes it where he wishes. He'd obviously exhausted his defence in favor of tighter gun control, so he took the opportunity to steer the topic in a new direction.

As for the general anti-United States tone in the topic, I'll reiterate. I do not agree with the regulation of firearms or health care, and for the record to not approve of my tax dollars being spent on nuclear weapons (if what Rorie claims is true). I just don't think it should've been used to help medicate its citizens either.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Syllypryde wrote:
Rorie wrote: You call Americans idiots, but if we are so stupid then why do people from all different countries come to our colleges and universities for an education? If America is such a horrible country to live in then why do millions of Mexicans, Asians, Arabs, etc. immigrate to our country each year? If America is so corrupt and stupid then why do millions of people in dozens of countries imitate our lifestyles, our customs and our social behaviors? It's quite interesting that most of the world hates us, yet they like our money, like our schools, like our celebrities, like our movies and television programs, like our music, like our clothes and fashions, and will send members of their families to come live in the United States for a better life. That's not too bad for a country with a poor health care system!
Patrick
If you want to trade away a real cultural identity for the life of luxury. I didn't choose to be born here, ya know :(
I am not clear as to who you are replying to, since you have Rorie as writing the above quote. Just to make things clear, I am the one who wrote it, and at no point did I suggest I was willing to trade one utopia for another, or better yet, willing to trade one bleak reality for another. I was just trying to make a point to Rorie that if Americans are so stupid and our country is so horrible, then why do people all around the world want to come to visit and live here? Rorie was also implying that the United States is a horrible country because of our poor health care system. So I was also asking him why would so many people from all over the world be willing to come to live in a country with such a poor system? However, I doubt he will ever answer my question.

I was not trying to trade away anything. I was trying to be realistic. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be better as Americans and there is most certainly nothing wrong with wanting to make our country a better place. But the problem is many people succumb to the "grass is always greener" trick. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with wanting better. But when a person spends his/her entire life trying to obtain the "good" things they do not have and many never have, and in the process take for granted the good things they already do have, they may wake up one day and realize they have nothing!

There is nothing wrong with wanting better, but sitting around complaining about it (especially on a Commander Keen forum???), instead of actually getting up and doing something about it, is not ever going to change anything. That is the point I was trying to make to Rorie. That is why I challenged him to get up off his ass and do something. It's painfully obvious he will not.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees