If aliens came to Earth...

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

It would depend on a lot of matters. I think that most people would not react violently unless you had a reason. Would people send nukes? Maybe their ships can fly hundreds of times faster than the rocket. (Or an uncontrolled atomic reaction.)

It would also depend on how the aliens looked. If they are a grotesque form people would be more inclined to naturally react violently. (Imagine you walk into the woods and see a 12 foot tall tentacle thing with a really big human face.) If they had a spacesuit they might be thought to be robots.

If aliens would try to contact earth, the wisest thing for them to do is just be like "Yo, we're Aliens. What's up?"

I don't think the Aliens should be allowed to be in the United Nations because they don't have a nation on earth. The most fair thing is if they would GO to the United Nations for dealing with humanity. (Or if they wanted to stir things up, a super power.)

But then the strogg land and kill everything.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This would depend on three things:

Distance: How far away are our aliens? Most likely, quite some way, maybe even across the galaxy. (On the dark side? Damn you Shikadi!) though I assume here that we're talking somewhere in our solar system, which would allow more... direct contact.

Ability to interact: What can they send? Most likely, messages. This would be the safest option, since we then couldn't do anything but send messages back. Of course, they may want to send down representatives (Or robotic probes, the von newman machines perhaps...) That could be a problem given...

Intent: Aliens seem to have two default states, surmised neatly by this Weird Al Star Trek quote: 'we come peace, shoot to kill.' Given evolution is what it is, I doubt our friends will be too peaceful in their intentions, and a full scale invasion may well be likely.

There is very little chance of 'rock beats laser' in any case, what the aliens will want to do, they will do, and there will be little we can do about it. Statistics states that they're likely to be ahead of us by thousands, maybe millions of years (And if they kill themselves off before that, then intelligent life will be very rare.) given how far we've come in just a century, they cold be like Gods to us/

And then again who says we'll even understand their mindset? One day they show up and start mining all the vanadium from the earth, destroying the environment as they go. In their culture, individuals are nothing and we are just pests. Or maybe they see in vibrations and simply don't even notice we're alive. (The earthquakes however suggest that there may be some intelligent life in the mantle...)

Finally, I believe that we will soon find out, as the Vorticon Mothership nears our world. heading toward our star at full speed after deciphering the message sent by their first scouts in 1990: 'Nice planet, very green. Many colorful females who walk about with no clothing and a leash fetish.'
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Ah, the pinnacle of civilisation... space-bound humanoids behaving as insects, cruising the universe and mining everything bare, laying waste to everything before it, in the name of self-perpetuation. Much more interesting than those pesky beings who have found ever higher means of self-expression and joy with an uncontrollable desire to share their wonders with those who are capable of appreciating them. :disguised
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

looks like we're all trek fans here lol. I got the TNG series for my birthday, which was awsome, but then i watched them all and realized, I had seen every episode already!!!

I think most everyone's taking my question in a different direction, which is okay, but i wasn't talking about doomsday here. The aliens don't need our resources, they don't need another planet. They just wanna' introduce themselves publicly and hopefully go from there.
I don't think the Aliens should be allowed to be in the United Nations because they don't have a nation on earth. The most fair thing is if they would GO to the United Nations for dealing with humanity. (Or if they wanted to stir things up, a super power.)
Yea that's what i meant. Not join, but there's probably some special status they can hold. I don't know much about the UN govt, wish i did.

I tend to agree with Galaxier; nations won't attack, lest the aliens turn to another country and let them benefit instead. But probably there are some crazy people who will try to attack, just because they are crazy.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C