If aliens came to Earth...

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

If aliens came to Earth...

Post by MortimerInBlack »

I am interested in people's opinions about this.

Assume that aliens exist and they have watched/studied Earth for a while, and they want to establish relations. How would they go about it? What would they say?

I think they would ask to 'join' the United Nations, so that they could sorta' work with everyone. Cuz they wouldn't want to be partial to any single country, and would want to be open with them all.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Heh, well, I have a feeling before they could open their mouth some country would send some nuclear warheads in their direction... Or well, if not, I can't really see any way they could possibly make any contact without making humans too scared and hostile. Perhaps the safest way would be to loom 'above' the Earth, visible, and broadcast messages in English and Spanish and China and other big languages. But we would feel pretty defeated, they would be so much superiour to us, and in whatever relations they might want to establish they would make the rules. If we don't like it, The Earth Explodes! 8)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Did you watch "The Day the Earth Stood Still" lately, or why the interest in this? :) (By the way I meant the good 1950s one, not the new crappy one)

I think that movie shows pretty much what would happen. And I don't think we've learned since 1951.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I guess it depends on what kind of relations they want to establish. They'd be breaking the Prime Directive though... 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive
(By the way I meant the good 1950s one, not the new crappy one)
Wow, you are the second person I know who actually knows about and seen that movie! :O Good to know the classics are still appreciated :)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Commander Keen must climb into their exhaust port and disable the 8 Tantalus rays, or...
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
grafix
Chilling in Crystalus

Post by grafix »

I imagine it would be something like when the Spanish went and conquered America. So probably not great.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I've always wondered why aliens in movies always spoke English*? And with American accents, too*. Either that, or they speak some crazy language that no human is capable of speaking.

It's also funny how aliens in movies are always complaining about how primitive humans are, and how their race has eliminated the need for war and stuff*. Just because they put all their effort into developing space travel, doesn't make them more advanced overall.

*Of course, this doesn't account for all fictional aliens. But it's pretty common.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

It's the same thing with someone in a movie suddenly becoming super intelligent (no matter what cause), and suddenly he also knows how to read ancient egyptian script. 8)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

tulip wrote:Did you watch "The Day the Earth Stood Still" lately, or why the interest in this? :) (By the way I meant the good 1950s one, not the new crappy one)
I think that movie shows pretty much what would happen. And I don't think we've learned since 1951.
I've seen the original, but don't remember much about it. I'll check it out again. And yeah they'd be breaking the prime directive, which in my mind is not really a good idea. I'm just asking for the sake of argument, because i think about these things.

BTW i did not mean they want to conquer/take over earth, they just want relations like with other aliens they know. They're not gonna' force any thing, just offer it.

I'm not so sure that they would be attacked or shunned, because we would know they have advanced technology we can benefit from.
It's also funny how aliens in movies are always complaining about how primitive humans are, and how their race has eliminated the need for war and stuff*. Just because they put all their effort into developing space travel, doesn't make them more advanced overall.
I have not seen movies like that; the only example i can think of is Star Trek, which i know is famous, but i don't think a Star-Trek like universe is the norm with alien-themed things.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

C'mon, we all know that a crazed scientist who would be the inventor of time travel would go back in time to stop the aliens' arrival and if that didn't work they'd assassinate the alien delegate.
MortimerInBlack wrote: I have not seen movies like that; the only example i can think of is Star Trek, which i know is famous, but i don't think a Star-Trek like universe is the norm with alien-themed things.
In at least the Next Generation, Star Trek never said any of the important races had eliminated war (except maybe the Vulcans, but they eliminated emotions too and even served on war capable ships).

And actually the only thing closest to that was humanity, but while they eliminated issues on Earth they still battled alien races (such as the Romulans).

Yes...I am a Trekkie.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I've been going on a massive Star Trek: The Next Generation kick lately. 8) That show is awesome.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I'm going with the Day The Earth Stood Still scenario (yep, I saw the 1950s version just a few weeks ago). If they wanted to make contact, they'd quickly figure out they're not going to get far through the official channels, and begin seeking out 'regular' people in a relatively stealthy manner. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there really are such things taking place here.

At the moment we're in a state where we can comprehend who they are without immediately assigning them a religious persona and causing us to worship them... but instead we're likely to fear them (hell, we're still living in fear of each other!) and spawn massive panic and chaos. So they wouldn't confirm their presence (unless they were malevolent) until we get past that.
Genius314 wrote:I've always wondered why aliens in movies always spoke English*? And with American accents, too*
Yeah, that's always bothered me about StarGate in particular. I really enjoy the show, but occasionally my logical mind kicks in and I think, "Gah, this doesn't make any sense!" At least Doctor Who has a plausible Babelfish style explanation.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

CK Guy wrote:I've been going on a massive Star Trek: The Next Generation kick lately. 8) That show is awesome.
Indeed, it's one of my favorite shows.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Me too, though I'm actually in the process of watching the original series :old
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ceilick wrote:Me too, though I'm actually in the process of watching the original series :old
Ah yeah, the original was still good (2nd only to TNG....it's leagues better than DS9 or Enterprise and it's especially better than Voyager, in my opinion). I do really wanna watch the original more, since I've seen too little of it.

And I really enjoyed the classic movies (even numbered ones...except the 1st is still kinda special, though very corny in areas), especially the Undiscovered Country (as aside from story telling I love it's cinematography). And of course Star Trek: Generations brought in the best of both worlds (best of all of the TNG movies)