Hey

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

KeenRush wrote:I can't understand how all the new-comers are so young. :confused To me it would be more logical if the new fans joining were older. Somehow... :crazy
Perhaps the apparance on Steam introduced many younglings to oldskool gaming, in this case Commander Keen.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm older than DaVince? Man oh man :old
I'm one of the older new fans. I think it's mainly because we had an apple computer while growing up, so no keen :(
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I think it's mainly because we had an apple computer while growing up, so no keen :(
That's also unfortunate because apples were absolutely pathetic computers in the first place. I used old macs and, if I remember correctly, apples in my computer classes in elementary and middle school, and we did all sorts of typing related stuff. When I had spare time, I would play the cheesy games on my chosen apple/early mac models (before even eMacs) like Oregon Trail, Story Weaver and that weird, confusing, boring game where you got turned into a toy troll after going to a weird carnival game and had to escape an island that you got trapped on... :tired

The most interesting one was Story Weaver, but that was before I knew how crappy that game was, and I always liked my DOS games and children's games better... Now, it would still be a better choice than the other old Mac games mentioned, but games like Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit are certainly a billion times better... :D

Apples and old Macs, as far as I know, have nothing super interesting to play on them. :dead
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Born 1991...first played Keen in 1995 or so, and haven't really stopped since.

Fun games on old Macs:

*Oregon Trail

Fun games on old PCs:

*Commander Keen
*Wolf3D
*Duke Nukem 3D
*Jazz Jackrabbit
*Doom
*Hocus Pocus
*Heretic
*Dark Forces
*Rogue
*Hexen
*Strife
*Those ones ZidaneA said, after this post ;)
*A million others I can't think of now
Last edited by StupidBunny on Mon May 11, 2009 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

KeenRush: I am young, but I'm not a newcomer. Is that logical? :0

---

StupidBunny: Don't forget about the first and second Duke Nukem games, and Secret Agent, Crystal Caves, Rise of the Triad, Monster Bash, Q-Bert, System Shock, Wolfenstein 3D, Cosmo's adventure, Pandemonium, etc.

Strife... Holy bipship! Do you know where I can download it? I had almost forgotten about it.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Edited. :)

I was actually able to download what appears to be a full version of Strife a few months ago...it was free and I guess it was legal. I'll have to see if I can find where I got it...if I can I'll tell you.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

ZidaneA wrote:Strife... Holy bipship! Do you know where I can download it? I had almost forgotten about it.
It's not right to posts links to that sort of thing so I won't do it.

I'll just say that someone said something about it in the "2.5D Shooter" topic, went out and found it in a couple of minutes.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Heh, macs of the mid-90's were actually more graphically powerful than the windows competitors at the time. I actually had a good deal of games such as Hexen, Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Heretic, Doom II, Lemmings, Prince of Persia, Myst, Cosmic Osmo, The Manhole, Spelunx, Kid Pix, Math Munchers DX, Museum Madness, Odell Down Under, etc. etc. If you compared any of the FPS ports with the PC originals, you'd see that the mac versions had WAY better resolution. I'm also a proud player of Marathon and Pathways into Darkness back in the day before Halo brought them out of obscurity :disguised

The macs were awesome machines, but hardly anybody took them seriously enough to make quality games for it :no I struggled with a crappy windows emulator just to play Hexen II (until the mac port was made like 7 years later).

And elementary school computers are generally cheap regardless of whether they are macs or windows :p
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

StupidBunny wrote:Fun games on old PCs:

*Commander Keen
*Wolf3D
*Duke Nukem 3D
*Jazz Jackrabbit
*Doom
*Hocus Pocus
*Heretic
*Dark Forces
*Rogue
*Hexen
*Strife
*Those ones ZidaneA said, after this post ;)
*A million others I can't think of now
I haven't played all of them, but those I've played are very good. Also, KKND.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Hi I'm old.