Life under lockdown

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Life under lockdown

Post by shikadi »

I didn't see any topic about this, which surprised me.

So... How's life going?
nothing usefull here

Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Re: Life under lockdown

Post by Commander Spleen »

Things haven't changed a lot. I now have a convenient excuse not to go and see people and do things. Had Easter off for the first time in like 15 years due to events being cancelled. It means a bit less money but it was going to be a particularly complicated operation this year so I was actually relieved not to have to do it.

Got a lot more time to spend on art projects. I should post some of the recent stuff actually. Started chipping away at the final details for my current mod but that's still a slow process as always. The main thing that affects me is that Flashback demoparty in Sydney won't be going ahead in June.

Many businesses have already been struggling after the bushfires over summer and some won't survive this even with the economic stimulus policies being enacted. Pizza shops are still open so I'm still working, but it's a lot easier not having to move the outdoor furniture every day and there are far fewer dishes due to nobody dining in. Still plenty of deliveries.

Luckily we've only had one confirmed case in this area. City people were locked out over Easter to make sure it stays that way. Overall it's been a bit like living in the Shire while Gondor is under attack.

nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Life's alright here.

I'm not too fussed by the isolation myself - I don't care to go out often unless I've got to - and we've been staying safe so there's that (my entire family is basically high risk, bleh.) I have been terribly unproductive though, lots of sleeping and eating (and still losing weight - come on now, body) and half-assedly playing video games, but it's not really like there's too much else to be done.

Better this than the alternative though.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites on alternate Tuesdays.

"I believe this is some fine languaging with the words."

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

In a way lockdown has not affected me too much either but in a different way. I currently live in London and work in a busy hospital so my work has continued - actually I've done a lot of extra shifts in the last couple of months to cover those self-isolating and to provide extra staffing levels when busy caseloads are anticipated. Public transport which I use extensively is running, not normally but at a reliable but less frequent schedule. Maybe it's a good lesson in having some patience, as one of the effects London has on its residents is that you develop a tendency to go apoplectic if you have to wait more than 2 and a half minutes for your tube. Shops of course have these queues to get in but the go fairly quickly - queuing along three sides of a reasonably large car park still only takes 25 minutes or so.

In terms of leisure activities I guess I don't do much in normal times but I am very fond of walking extensively around the city (that's one of the things that drew me to move to such a large city after fully exploring every corner of Dublin). I can still walk around my general area which thankfully is quite a varied and culturally entertaining area (North London, zone 2/3 region). The weather has basically been excellent for a month now, barely a cloud or drop of rain. But I haven't been into the centre in over a month which saddens me, nor have I sat in a pub in a long time... like everyone else I seem to be picking up more alcohol in the shops than before. And have a nice back yard in which to sit and enjoy it! And perhaps I have been clicking open mindbelt and Paint Shop Pro 7 so... well you never know what might happen if this lockdown goes on long enough!

Socially I only know a few people here outside work, but actually my work colleagues are a really nice social outlet actually so I can't complain, far better than those who really have to sit at home all day. I normally rely a lot on Ryanair flights for seeing my friends and family so that's all on hold sadly.

Hope you all are getting on okay and that your families and friends are safe... I'm definitely in on of the world's hotspots. In fact the reported COVID death toll of London alone is equal to that of the entirety of China! I've been face to face with many (maybe 20 or 30) patients who have confirmed COVID but so far I haven't succumbed. I feel for those who live in America, it sounds terrible right now. Try not to protest violently against the lockdown though... it's fairly necessary right now!

shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

Benvolio wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:55
I currently live in London and work in a busy hospital so my work has continued
That's not the most enviable job right now. :dead
nothing usefull here

nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

shikadi wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 20:45
Benvolio wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:55
I currently live in London and work in a busy hospital so my work has continued
That's not the most enviable job right now. :dead
^ that.

Stay safe Benvolio.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites on alternate Tuesdays.

"I believe this is some fine languaging with the words."

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Thanks guys! Just hoping we can get through to the end of this soon. You can feel the fragility of the man-made material world all around - an uneasy worry about which establishments will be gone after the summer, which livelihoods will be erased, and which members of the community will struggle most for possibly years to come. London may be a highly affleunt place, but its character is very vulnerable to being bought out en-bloc by unimaginably wealthy investors, and surely struggling independent pubs and boutiques will make way for more and more Starbucks/Pret and "Whole Foods" sorts of outlets if we aren't all careful. All of this worry in parallel to the 800 or so daily deaths (slowly improving) occurring in the UK. Anyway in the meantime the immediate goal, like you say, is to stay safe.