Any Music composers in the house

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
robert77wade
Grunt

Any Music composers in the house

Post by robert77wade »

Recently I have developed a new passion for music creation but I have no idea what to do and where to start. So, I am here looking for some advice on what software should I go for as a newbie. I watched some youtube videos on this subject and they were suggesting softwares like Audacity, Logic pro X, garageband, FL studio, walk band, etc.

I am not sure which of these software would be an ideal choice for a beginner.

​​​​​​​Any suggestions?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Any Music composers in the house

Post by Benvolio »

I don't really know about most of those programmes you have listed but nevertheless I feel qualified to tell you that Audacity is ideal for a beginner. It should be on every system just as notepad and paint traditionally are.
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

If you already own an Apple computer then garage band is probably the best place to start as it comes preloaded free and is really good. I started out using garage band and liked it so much that I bought Logic, which is amazing and totally worth the price if you can afford it. But if you dont already own an Apple, then this might not be a cost effective way go get started.

As Benvolio said, audacity is a great program, will work on mac or pc, and its completely free! One limitation here though is it doesn't have any built in software intruments, and I dont think it really does much if any midi, so you could use it to record analog stuff, but I dont think you can compose synthesised music with it. So it might depend on what type of music you are going to be making. Id still download audacity anyway though since it is free and you will definitly find uses for it. Even with logic pro I still use audacity for certain things once in a while.

FL studio is a really good choice if you have a windows pc so garage band and logic arent an option

Also if you going to record anything analog and you have or are planning to get an audio interface, many of them come with software that you can at least get started with.
alexawiliams784
Grunt

Post by alexawiliams784 »

For a beginner if you ask me I would suggest you to go for Gargeband and then slowly move towards more advanced DAW like Reaper, Ableton, Logic Pro X, etc. It is simple to use and has an easy interface with lots of in-built instruments and mixing features.

I am currently using Reaper on my windows system I wish I could use garageband on my windows system but it is only designed for MacOS right? Or is there a way to run it on Windows?
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

DAWs generally have demo versions available to try out so I'd suggest trying a few and seeing which feels more intuitive to you, download the demo of one and experiment with it and/or follow some tutorials for it and move on to trying another one if it's not clicking with you after a while etc.
robert77wade
Grunt

Post by robert77wade »

alexawiliams784 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 16:21 For a beginner if you ask me I would suggest you to go for Gargeband and then slowly move towards more advanced DAW like Reaper, Ableton, Logic Pro X, etc. It is simple to use and has an easy interface with lots of in-built instruments and mixing features.

I am currently using Reaper on my windows system I wish I could use garageband on my windows system but it is only designed for MacOS right? Or is there a way to run it on Windows?
Thanks, man! I appreciate it. Garageband it is then.
And as far as I know, I think GarageBand is only for macOS and iOS only. I am not sure if you can use it on windows.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

That's right, you can't.

Sorry to everyone genuinely engaging with this thread, but another user pointed out there's some sus stuff going on. This discussion is notably similar to one on another forum which ended with a spam link being posted as part of the advice.

Given no rules have been broken yet I'm just going to lock this thread and assume the two accounts registered here on the same day are legit and this is all just a funny coincidence. I feel loose ends have been tied up anyway and there's no need for more discussion (or any links ;) ). If anyone wants to discuss this with me, feel free to send a pm.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass