You like The Secret of Monkey Island?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Blue
The Big Foot

You like The Secret of Monkey Island?

Post by Blue »

So do I,

now it's being remade!

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

Im putting it on my first-thing-to-buy list.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Haha. Looks great. Thanks for the heads-up.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It might be cool, but is it really necessary to remake a classic (not that I've played it...)?
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Looks great.
That's definetly one game that deserves it, especially since it's relatively hard for n00bs to get it to run on a modern computer (even with dosbox you have to decrease cpu cycles).
And that's a way to keep it legitimate to still sell a game after 20 years, it seems they put a lot of effort in it.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

This news came as quite a shock to me when I read it a few hours ago. My favourite modern adventure game studio, making Monkey Island?! I'm exhilerated, even if Guybrush looks a bit weird. :)
tulip wrote:Looks great.
That's definetly one game that deserves it, especially since it's relatively hard for n00bs to get it to run on a modern computer (even with dosbox you have to decrease cpu cycles).
Is it? Run ScummVM, browse to the game's directory only once, and you're set to easily play it from then on.

Still, a remake? I'd want it too. It deserves it!
Wow look at me I'm lurking
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Let's hope they get it right this time.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Doesn't this belong to the classics forum?
Maybe not if it's a new game.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

So this is a reboot of the franchise, and not a sequel?
*sigh*
EDIT: Oh, a remastering. *phew*
Blue
The Big Foot

Post by Blue »

if you watched the video, you would have heard they used nearly the exact same code. You can even switch between the classic graphics or new graphics anytime while you play. That is pretty neat i must say.
KeenRush wrote:It might be cool, but is it really necessary to remake a classic (not that I've played it...)?
There was enough demand apparently for lucasarts to remake it. If people are willing to spend money on it, i don't see why they shouldn't.
The good thing though is it looks very faithful to the original, and the developers seemed pretty excited about working on it.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

About time they dug up that corpse and dusted it off!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

...and, apparently, there's an episodic five-part series of all-new Monkey Island games for the Wii coming.
The trailer doesn't really seem too humorous to me.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Maybe now they can rename it to Monkey Island 8 in Lucas fashion so they're obligated to make prequels.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Never played the Secret of Monkey Island.
I've played The Curse of Monkey Island though.. It's fantastic!

This looks awesome too, and I want to try it out!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Lava89 wrote:Maybe now they can rename it to Monkey Island 8 in Lucas fashion so they're obligated to make prequels.
Or better yet, Monkey Island IV. That way the story can start off with the Royal Navy's blockade of Scabb Island for pirating activities. Voodoo Lady and her mentor, Other Voodoo Lady, come on board the HMS Victory and are reassured that the blockade is perfectly legal. While they're on board, though, chloroform is blown into their cabin and they have to bust out of the ship using their 1337 v00d00 5k1llz. They arrive on Scabb Island and narrowly save the life of the Caribbean Cap'n Dread-Dread, who is ever in their debt, constantly says the word "meesa" and leads them to an underground Caribbean community. They go to the backwater island of Melee (after narrowly avoiding death at the cannons of HMS Victory) and learn of an up-and-coming pontoon racer contestant of the tender age of nine, Chuckie. Other Voodoo Lady whips out her voodoo scanner [revealing that voodoo was really microscopic robots all along] and learns that Chuckie's readings are off the scale. Chuckie narrowly wins the pontoon racer race and is taken back to Scabb, where a maid of the "governor" reveals herself to be the true Governor Elaine of the entire Tri-Island Area. The Royal Navy drops a landing party which engages the Caribbean militia while a shadowy Herman Toothrot reveals his monkey assassin to the Voodoo Ladies and has his revenge. Voodoo Lady and Other Voodoo Lady battle it, resulting in both Other Voodoo Lady's and the monkey assassin's deaths, as Chuckie (who was told to stay in a boat) goes off in the boat to the HMS Victory and manages to make it explode. The landing party from the Royal Navy stands for a moment of silence for their dear departed vessel, and during this moment of silence they are easily dispatched by the formerly losing Caribbean militia. All is well and a big parade is held.
And that's just Episode I!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I am so happy right now. Both Lucasgames and Telltale are working on Monkey Island games, and there's all kinds of people involved that also worked on the originals!

I'm exhilerated. I can't wait!

...Oh wait, I replied already. Oh well, I just can't stress enough on how happy I am. :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking