Facebook

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Well, if you use the site correctly, you'll probably end up posting mostly interesting stuff, or at least interesting to the people who "watch" you. And I don't count "getting as many fake friends as possible by being silly" as correct usage of the site. 8)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

At least I actually know 90% of my friends on Facebook...and a third of that list is comprised of my fraternity brothers both from my chapter and the region. the rest is people i meet at parties or my friends in general. or people from my past.

That other 10% is usually friends of friends or other random people who I've *kinda* met.

I just know way too many people in real life.

At least I'm using Facebook for legitimate reasons.
Like adding Ceilick as a friend on there.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I think Lava's spot on here. I have a teacher who bugged me to start a blog and she constantly nags me because I don't write things often. But, the thing is, I just don't have much interesting things to write about. (heh, hope that's not a sign of a poor social/active life :o )

The reason we come here is because we share a common interest of keen that we couldn't talk to in-depth with, say, our casual friends and neighbors :dead I'm sure we would be good friends if we met in real life, but there's something about the anonymity of web forums that gives posting here an ironic air of anti-socialness :crazy It's all part of the weird new-age phenomenon that nobody could fathom it's whole scope, only sit back and try to take it all in. And you wonder "was this meant to happen? Is this unnatural?" because so many millions of years of human history had been going on without it. It's so alien. And I'd better stop now before I drone on too long with this philosophical garbage :foot
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:47, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I use Facebook, but I only add people who know me in real life (in fact, you have to be in my network to even be able to search for me).

Honestly, it's not useless. You can mostly use it to communicate with friends. Yet it's more useful than IM or email or the phone - if someone else wants to join in on the conversation, they can; if you're away from your computer, you'll still get the message when you come back. Of course, every means of communication has its pros and cons.

Twitter seems to be redundant when you use Facebook's status message feature.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I just use Twitter for archiving my Facebook messages, using the Selective Twitter Status app.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Commander Spleen wrote:I just use Twitter for archiving my Facebook messages, using the Selective Twitter Status app.
Yeah, that'd be a good use... also, can you update FB from your phone, or can only Twitter do that? Because that'd be another reason to use Twitter (although then you can use an app to automatically update FB when you tweet)
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

The folks on the Commander Keen page of Facebook have been a bit more active as of late. Evidently it's run by the folks over at [urlhttp://www.commander-keen.com/]http://www.commander-keen.com/[/url], too.

I asked them to update their link to us at the PCKF (they were still going to the ezboard/yuku). :) Any chance we could post a return-link somewhere?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:And you wonder "was this meant to happen? Is this unnatural?" because so many millions of years of human history had been going on without it. It's so alien.
I don't think so. A "forum" is, simply put, a place where people will meet to discuss, debate or consider a general issue. They would range from people at the Universites talking about the moral and ethical implications of say, considering the roundness of the earth, to the towns people meeting at City Hall discussing the new water rationing.

A "bulliton board" was a board that people would (and still do) litterally POST (with a nail, pin or tack) handwritten or printed messages to.

It's not so much the "Internet discussion forums is unnatrual" but more like "The fact that we know so little about the force of electricity and magnitism, yet we still do these amazing, wonderful feats of ingenuity and magic with it."
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Genius314 wrote:
Commander Spleen wrote:I just use Twitter for archiving my Facebook messages, using the Selective Twitter Status app.
Yeah, that'd be a good use... also, can you update FB from your phone, or can only Twitter do that? Because that'd be another reason to use Twitter (although then you can use an app to automatically update FB when you tweet)
Both websites can do that. In fact, Twitter was aimed around the concept of posting microblags anywhere, everywhere, and Facebook probably just followed up on that.

My Twitter account is almost completely useless because I have Facebook. Well, it's at least useful to receive updates from cool game development companies like Telltale (but I'm a "fan" on Facebook too, so... Whatever!).
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Aye, it's possible on Facebook, but who ever goes back through all the clutter on someone's wall to see what they wrote two months ago?
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Facebook sucks. Imho.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's also not good if your husband works for the secret service...
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.