Archiving the PCKF

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Archiving the PCKF

Post by entropicdecay »

Alright. It'd be nice to have an archive of the old PCKF, in case it eventually goes offline or some other problem gets rid of it. So I took the liberty of archiving a page. Now, this is just preliminary stuff. Here it is.

Any suggestions? I know I need to do something about the non-functional links, and I could probably lose most of the stuff above and below the posts (the logo etc. aren't really necessary for the archive). Alternatively I could go
with a more minimal approach and take out almost everything but the usernames and post content. What do you think?
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I say we use that converter mentioned earlier and save the whole bunch as XML, then use an online XML reader/converter or something to display the pages.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

DaVince wrote:I say we use that converter mentioned earlier and save the whole bunch as XML, then use an online XML reader/converter or something to display the pages.
That'd probably work much better. I've been trying archiving some stuff in a simpler almost-plain-text format, and it's pretty tedious. I could just save HTML copies of the threads, though, and put them up on my site.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Agree that using something converter might ease the job... :)

Well, I doubt I'm going to read those anyways, but perhaps they are good for someone who likes going through them.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

HTML backups would be neat. They keep the original atmosphere in tact (though they still rely on dynamically-linked images that are liable to vanish in years to come).

It's also a good plan to transfer as many useful threads into the new phpbb so they can be searched more easily. This definitely needs to be undertaken. The question is, do we want to import them into their rightful categories, or form an archive forum to keep the clean slate we have?
Yorpy
Vorticon Elder

Post by Yorpy »

I'm for an archive.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

I'm for an archive too divided into subforums
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

An archive would probably work best. Also, I remember talk about salvaging a scant few posts from before the crash, could those be added too?
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Commander Spleen wrote:HTML backups would be neat. They keep the original atmosphere in tact (though they still rely on dynamically-linked images that are liable to vanish in years to come).
You could use wget to download the whole forum, linked images and all. IIRC it will even update the .html files to point to the local images.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Okay, but can wget work recursively on a domain (download all links it can find as long as it points to the same domain)? That'd be kickass.
Umm... I just re-read your post, and guessing that it would? Lemme man that stuff...

EDIT:
Wget can follow links in HTML and XHTML pages and create local versions of remote web sites, fully recreating the directory structure of the original site. This is sometimes referred to as ‘‘recursive downloading.’’
Cooool! Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to use this on any website I want to backup!
xtraverse
Stranded Fish

Post by xtraverse »

http://dosclassics.com/old/pckf/

Some interesting topics from many years ago there, you won't find these on the current ezBoard.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

xtraverse wrote:http://dosclassics.com/old/pckf/

Some interesting topics from many years ago there, you won't find these on the current ezBoard.
Oh goodie, I found one my first flamewars with eK!
And Rorie going out of control was always fun.
Aaaah, not the bees!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Nice! Look what I found in there:
http://redlaine.topcities.com/

Keen 3D! Too bad that version was abandoned. :)
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

It's entertaining that you bothered to save all topic where Rorie, eK, Globox, and me are going nuts. Do you love us that much?
Aaaah, not the bees!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

xtraverse wrote:http://dosclassics.com/old/pckf/

Whoa, I didn't know about this...

Edit: Is it just me or did this forum used to be a lot more hostile? :confused