When did you find the PCKF?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Scary: This forum's been here for long enough that we've just witnessed an almost two-year topic necromancy.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Stats:

300 users have posted about 17'000 topics. Most users ever online was 118 on Feb 06, 2008.

And this is the second generation. Keen has a lot of history going around.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

When did we ever have 118 people on at once??
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Genius314 wrote:When did we ever have 118 people on at once??
Tue Feb 05, 2008 18:48, apparently. 8)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Genius314 wrote:When did we ever have 118 people on at once??
Tue Feb 05, 2008 18:48, apparently. 8)
Yes... I see that, thank you. :p
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Crowded wasn't it?
Kuecken
Grunt

Post by Kuecken »

Today. I am the newest member! :D
But I play with the Commander Keen games since I was 5 years old...
- Piep!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Welcome! How did you find us, and how old are you? (Just asking.)
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

For what it's worth:

I found the forum, linked from CC314, back when it was on InsideTheWeb. I barely remember doing some poking around there at a tender age.

(How is there not a baby emotikeen?)
ed.brg_
Grunt

Post by ed.brg_ »

I found the forums around 2002, while looking for Keen games to download :p

I started lurking in 2004, and some time after I registered.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'd been devouring all the Keen information I could on the Cerebral Cortex 314 and came across the forum. Asked my parents permission to join and everything :o It was my first online community experience.
Herry Jerry
Vortininja

Post by Herry Jerry »

I found the forum in early 2008, having just experienced a Keen re-birth. I think I'd found it a few times when I was a kid during a Google search for stuff related to Keen, but didn't do much with it. After a few months of lurking, I created an account. And I still only have 26 posts. Fifteen or so of them being from my newbie posting spree. :dead
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I found this through Keen: Modding. I found K:M through the Perilous Crystal Caves website on toxicsheep, because I had been making, purely out of boredom, a engine recreation of CC in Game Maker. Everything nifty I've ever found has been through bizzare chains of hyperlinks.

I could tell you about the time I discovered the phenomena of webcomics after trying to find a copy of Jazz Jackrabbit.....
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Found PCKF in 2005-2006 (can't really remember). I was 10-11 back then so my english sucked. :P
Didn't make an account till last January.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Well, let's see. It all started back when I was maybe four or five, off at a camp in distant New Mexico. A sibling made a friend who became a pen pal when they parted ways, and years later my sibling's pen pal introduced my sibling to my sibling's pen pal's sibling's website. My sibling then introduced me to this selfsame website, which included a section called "Ask the Yorp!" featuring a Yorp and a Garg. It was pretty funny, and eventually I googled "yorp", only to find Beyond the Pogo.
I devoured that website several times and played somebody's Flash recreation of some Keen 1 levels. I was frustrated that it wasn't completely accurate, though--according to Beyond the Pogo, the Yorp statues gave telepathic messages. In the Flash game, they didn't. After being stuck for some time on a level I would later learn was called Red Maze City (the game didn't have a world map so I couldn't skip it), I stopped playing.
Some more years later, I googled "Commander Keen wiki" on a whim and found shikadi.net. This revived my interest in Keen and I downloaded Keen 1, only to be stuck at the world map because I never figured out that control was the level selection key. I thought it might be some sort of WinXP incompatability, so I tried it on my 98 box only to have the same problem.
I noticed a link to the PCKF at the Keen Wiki and started lurking. Eventually I felt guilty that I hadn't actually played any of the games, and was happy to learn Keen 1's proper controls. I finished it, and Keens 2-3, with liberal application of God mode and some other stuff (thanks to the Keen Wiki's cheats pages). Though for some levels I refrained from cheats, like the Mangling Machine battle.
Then I tried Keen 4, and there wasn't any music like the wiki said! According to the game it couldn't find the proper sound card, so I tried it on my 98 box with the same problem before finally turning to DOSBox in desperation and reveling in its brilliance thereafter. Around the time I was starting Keen 5, I finally joined the PCKF.
Since then I've finished Keen 1 without cheats (not much of an accomplishment, I know), Keen 5 on hard mode without cheats, and Keen 6. Oh, and Keen 7. And Keen 8 on normal mode without cheats.