What Music Are You Listening To?

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: What Music Are You Listening To?

Post by Syllypryde »

Jinjer- Wallflowers, brand new album released last Friday.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Til' The Dust Is Gone by Art Of Anarchy has been stuck in my head lately.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

ABBA - "Don't Shut Me Down".

It's unbelievably nice to hear these guys doing their thing once more. ABBA Gold was the soundtrack to my first encounters of Commander Keen all those years ago.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Since today was the 20th anniversary of 9/11, I was listening to the Buckethead song 911 that closes out the album Bermuda Triangle. It's a somber tribute that was written and recorded the day it happened, because as Buckethead put it:

"If the world is going to blow up, I may as well go out soloing."
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Have been getting big into Orbital again lately, and last night stumbled on Shamen (they're a bit before my time so never heard their music while growing up).

Was listening to Orbital's You Lot from the blue album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WjY8rbuSeU) for the first time the other week. Heard the sample about science in the middle and thought "this sounds like Christopher Eccleston as Doctor Who, but it's from 2004!" Turns out I wasn't far off! From Wikipedia: "'You Lot' samples a speech by Christopher Eccleston from Russell T Davies' The Second Coming." Davies would, of course, go on to reboot Doctor Who with Eccleston within a few years of the show and song being released.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Suffocation, it is a playlist I made up on my iPod of most of, if not all of their songs.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Lately I've been listening to Buckethead's 31 Days 'Til Halloween series. Back in October 2015, Buckethead released 1 album a day for a month counting down to Halloween, and they're a collection of dark, ambient albums that would sound perfect in a haunted house. To be honest, I think they get kind of generic at times, and there's some that I have a really hard time sitting through, but there's still some gems in them, and it's like having an advent calendar for Halloween.

EDIT: I've been listening to some of these while reading H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe stories or working on Halloween artwork, and they actually work well to enhance the atmosphere.
Last edited by Soul Monster on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:13, edited 1 time in total.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Monochromatic Black- Abbadon and Closing the Gates, songs from their debut full length album being released next month.

Infected Rain- Postmortem Pt. 1, opening track to their new album being released in January.

Once Human- Deadlock and Only in Death, songs from their new album being released in February.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

The calm, steady rain outside my open window. The droplets gently pat the tree leaves before running off -- presumably in shifting streams -- to land on other things. Occasionally hitting a bucket or pipe, making a metallic sound. Or perhaps a forming puddle, making a tiny inkling of a splash. Every so often, a car revs its engine in the distance.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Arch Enemy- Deceiver, Deceiver, a new single
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

Slash- The River is Rising, a new single that just dropped a few hours ago. It sounds pretty good. Lyrically it's about how humans can be brainwashed or indoctrinated by dangerous ideas. It's got me even more excited for his new album coming out in February next year! Hoping I can see him live again next year, too!
proYorp wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 22:12 The calm, steady rain outside my open window. The droplets gently pat the tree leaves before running off -- presumably in shifting streams -- to land on other things. Occasionally hitting a bucket or pipe, making a metallic sound. Or perhaps a forming puddle, making a tiny inkling of a splash. Every so often, a car revs its engine in the distance.
I hear 'ya, I enjoy the sound of rainfall too. This time of year especially, when the leaves start to fall off the trees, the sky turns grey, and the temperature drops, there's just something calming about being nice and warm indoors and listening to the rain fall outside. Something about it just feels good when you first wake up and you can hear the rain falling outside your window, knowing you're nice and warm under the covers. For me that particular feeling is enhanced when you're lying in bed with a hot drink and a good book while you listen to it, perhaps even some nice piano music to accompany it.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Soul Monster wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 23:47 Slash- The River is Rising, a new single that just dropped a few hours ago. It sounds pretty good. Lyrically it's about how humans can be brainwashed or indoctrinated by dangerous ideas. It's got me even more excited for his new album coming out in February next year! Hoping I can see him live again next year, too!
I haven't paid much attention to Slash since Guns 'N Roses back in the day.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Good ol' Bobby Prince Keen MIDIs on repeat! You can't go wrong with them -- they bring back so many keen memories! I'm currently listening to Too Hot to Handle. :pumpkeen I've been playing the Keen games on Windows 98 and since that computer can't play Adlib music, I sometimes played these MIDIs on another computer to make up for that. Right now I'm just listening to them as I'm posting here. :) Does anyone still listen to those MIDIs regularly?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Soul Monster wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 23:47
proYorp wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 22:12 The calm, steady rain outside my open window. The droplets gently pat the tree leaves before running off -- presumably in shifting streams -- to land on other things. Occasionally hitting a bucket or pipe, making a metallic sound. Or perhaps a forming puddle, making a tiny inkling of a splash. Every so often, a car revs its engine in the distance.
I hear 'ya, I enjoy the sound of rainfall too. This time of year especially, when the leaves start to fall off the trees, the sky turns grey, and the temperature drops, there's just something calming about being nice and warm indoors and listening to the rain fall outside. Something about it just feels good when you first wake up and you can hear the rain falling outside your window, knowing you're nice and warm under the covers. For me that particular feeling is enhanced when you're lying in bed with a hot drink and a good book while you listen to it, perhaps even some nice piano music to accompany it.
Oh yeah! Piano music! I totally forgot about this in the moment, but a song that really goes great with the sound of rainfall is Gymnopedie No. 1 by Erik Satie. My favorite rendition is this one performed by Kevin MacLeod:
https://youtu.be/UTgeD4N5HxE
https://inv.riverside.rocks/watch?v=UTgeD4N5HxE (Alt link, thanks Quillax!)

This song just so perfectly captures the essence and atmosphere of a gentle rain. For me maybe it has an enhanced association, because I first heard it in a game with a really nice ambience and this song would play when it rained. (Even though the game's wiki claims it plays at random, I swear this one only played when it rained!)

Also wow I can't believe that was actually my first post in this thread. I've had at least a dozen or so things I've wanted to share here and then didn't. I guess music is a very personal thing for me.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Post by Soul Monster »

proYorp wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:28 Oh yeah! Piano music! I totally forgot about this in the moment, but a song that really goes great with the sound of rainfall is Gymnopedie No. 1 by Erik Satie. My favorite rendition is this one performed by Kevin MacLeod:
https://youtu.be/UTgeD4N5HxE
https://inv.riverside.rocks/watch?v=UTgeD4N5HxE (Alt link, thanks Quillax!)

This song just so perfectly captures the essence and atmosphere of a gentle rain. For me maybe it has an enhanced association, because I first heard it in a game with a really nice ambience and this song would play when it rained. (Even though the game's wiki claims it plays at random, I swear this one only played when it rained!)

Also wow I can't believe that was actually my first post in this thread. I've had at least a dozen or so things I've wanted to share here and then didn't. I guess music is a very personal thing for me.
I'm long overdue on replying to this post, but I listened to the track, and I agree, that would be perfect during a rain storm. Recently, I also bought a few albums from actor Viggo Mortensen, who does a lot of piano based music, with some occasional acoustics added to the mix, to listen to during these cold autumn and winter nights. My favorites so far are Reunion, Godzilla Sleeps Alone, and Time Waits For Everyone. In fact, one of my favorite things to do this time of year is to lay in bed with a hot drink and listen to some calming music while watching the snow fall outside my window. Here's the links to those albums (except Time Waits For Everyone, which I haven't been able to find to listen to online):

Reunion:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_RyAGMhgMg
Godzilla Sleeps Alone:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr5mXw_Y0zs

Some of the other music I've been listening to lately varies. There's this one song by Izzy Stradlin that's been stuck in my head that I've been listening to on repeat for hours on end called Feelin' Alright. It's a nice, mellow acoustic song with that trademark Rolling Stones influence to his music. Another one is an acoustic album by Buckethead called Shadows Between The Sky, which happens to be one of my favorites from him (I know I'm always raving about Buckethead, but there's a lot to like about his discography). And also, since it's that time of year, I've been listening to the soundtrack to the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special. Below are links to all these:

Izzy Stradlin - Feelin' Alright:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuYwHWrMfZc
Buckethead - Shadows Between The Sky:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj6DBi264DI
Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Soundtrack:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcMkIKN05LY