Scarie movies

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Scarie movies

Post by Djaser »

The Exorcist has been voted the scariest movie of all time in a special Halloween poll.

The 1973 horror classic, starring Linda Blair as a possessed child, came out ahead of the Jack Nicholson movie The Shining in a survey conducted online among 6500 customers of British music retailer HMV.

John Carpenter's Halloween took third place ahead of A Nightmare on Elm Street.

HMV executive Mark Frampton said: The horror genre was not really taken seriously for a long time but it's moved on from the slightly camp Hammer stereotypes that many of us remember and now enjoys the respect it fully deserves.

The top-10 is as follows: 1. The Exorcist (1973), 2. The Shining (1980), 3. Halloween (1978), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Ringu - The Ring (Japanese version, 1998), 6. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), 7. The Omen (1976), 8. Stephen King's It (1990), 9. Hellraiser (1987), 10. Hostel (2005).
I thought this was funny. I'm the only one who thought The Exorcist was totally not scary. It's a great movie with memorable scenes but it didn't scare me at all. I think it's strange that movies that freaked me out like The evil dead, Alien, Predator, Hellraiser II, and the Hills have eyes aren't even there. Though there are some good movies in this list I thought the original Halloween was a joke. Did anyone see the remake?
Aaaah, not the bees!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I sure didn't. I heard it wasn't all that good, and kind of missed the point of the original Halloween (more suspense than gore). However, in celebration of the holiday I did watch Jeepers Creepers with some friends. A decent horror, a lot better than the second one but...that's not saying a lot. :scary
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I haven't even seen The Exorcist, or almost any of those. I've seen Halloween however, and I think it sucks. It wasn't scary either, agree. I don't know any good horror movies. Do those even exist?
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Yes Jeepers Creepers was quite amusing, I should see it again because I didn't pay much attention.

Keenrush some of the best movies out there are horror movies. You really should see The exorcist because it's a good movie with great dialogues. Alien, Aliens, Predator, The Evil dead trilogy, A nightmare on elm street, Hellraiser I and II are also quality films you should check out.
And sometimes horror movies are so bad they are good, I sure like garbage like Deep rising or Tremors on a rainy night.
Aaaah, not the bees!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I've never seen The Exorcist. I don't watch enough movies.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Bah, David Lynch movies own all of those.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

28 days later is kinda scary (someone i knew once called it the "holy garg, scariest crap ever"), at least until you get used to the genre.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I agree with Djaser on The Exorcist. The most scary? It was just freaky, not scary.

Hmm, I can't really recall any movies right now I freaked out when I saw them.
Ceres
Grunt

Post by Ceres »

I haven't watched Exorcist. My ex wanted me to do so and I didn't want to obey ;)

I really like horrors from the eighties and early nineties, especially the series like Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday 13th. Also Carrie (1), Korean "Shooter", zombie horrors... and many others - these are the ones I remember and like the best :)
KATHERINE

scary movies

Post by KATHERINE »

I need a few scary movies to watch with some of my friends. More suspenseful and mind freaky than scary though. Thanks, preferably recent.

DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

It's hard to get scared nowadays when most movies are made out of cheap scares suited for imature fifteen year olds. I miss the psychological terror some classic movies have, most mentionable The Shining (wich i find better than The Exorcist.) The Exorcist is still a good movie but built mostly out of cheap scares and offensive material.

If you really want scary shít (in the more subtle way) i suggest you see this excellent russian feelbad movie Idi I Smotri (Come And See) wich isn't a 'horror movie' at all. Don't expect any fantasy monsters, the only monsters here are human beings but which makes it in a way more disturbing. It's still highly horrifying.

The best thing with this movie is that it's not the traditional 'war movie' you would expect (thanks Hollywood for giving us stereotyped war movies!) this is a rather surreal story of a boy who looses his loved ones and hearing in a bomb raid and eventually looses his sense of reality withing all the chaos.

What makes it really scary is that stuff like this really did happen during the time of the world wars, and still happens today probably. But i warn you this movie will make you feel bad for a week, but it is a masterpiece for those who appreciate the art of movies and not just screaming cheerleaders getting slaughtered :crazy
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

That looks pretty cool. Although I hate dramas. I usually avoid movies that "make me feel like crap" because honestly... why would I want to expose myself to that sort of thing?

That's why I like comedies, most specifically, Adam Sandler comedies.
If it's not comedy, I rarely see the point in watching or reading it.
Sad stories, especially super-realistic dramas. No thanks.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

Sometimes you have to see the awful side of something to be able to see and appreciate the opposite ;)

But don't worry Galaxieretter, i understand you. I think we are quite different in movie taste. I hate american comedies ;)
Whether it's feelgood or feelbad movies i prefer some kind of emotional expressionism wich old russian movies have plenty of for some reason. Just look at STALKER (the movie) it's a marathon of emotional symbolism but you really have to be into that stuff if you don't want to get bored out of your head :D Idi I Smotri is not the typical drama either, it's quite surreal in a way. But let's drop that movie for now :crazy

Any good non american horror movies out there?
Btw speaking of nazis, there's a norwegian movie that came out last year with zombie nazis (we all love when they die) wich is quite entertaining. It's called Død snø (Dead Snow) and with tag lines such as 'Ein, Zwei, Die' nothing can go wrong!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/
Any fans of Evil Dead would like this movie for sure and i believe there are some references in Død snø to Evil Dead.

For those stuck in the vampire hype and want something different i can recomend this really good swedish movie Låt Den Rätte Komma In (Let The Right One In)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/
It's really good if you are fed up with the greasy Disney like Twilight movies and want something more toned down. Don't be fooled though it's not a children's movie and probably much more gruesome than Twilight at times.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

DSL wrote:I think we are quite different in movie taste.
Yeah I don't understand all the hype about Avatar with The Princess and the Frog being out. How do you compete with Disney finally going back to the animated fairy tales? :lindsey
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

DSL wrote:For those stuck in the vampire hype and want something different i can recomend this really good swedish movie Låt Den Rätte Komma In (Let The Right One In)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/
It's really good if you are fed up with the greasy Disney like Twilight movies and want something more toned down. Don't be fooled though it's not a children's movie and probably much more gruesome than Twilight at times.
This one actually is a vampire movie, unlike Twilight. I too would recommend seeing it, it's rather good... :disguised

They're making a Hollywood version of it called Let Me In... :dead So useless... I guess I'll go to see it just to have a laugh at it.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.