Stanley Kubric's 2001: A Space Odyssey

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Stanley Kubric's 2001: A Space Odyssey

Post by kuliwil »

I just watched Stanley Kubric's 2001: A Space Odyssey
I don't quite know why I like it but I do
It is so well done!
But a few points about it that I'd like to clear up:
I've never taken drugs before, but now I've watched that movie I feel that I have
And is it normal to feel like there is almost nothing to live for after watching it?
Anyway: 5 stars.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

There were four books in the series, and the sequel 2010 was made into a movie as well, so you can at least look forward to that (although I've never seen or read it, so I have no idea if it's any good).
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I thought it sucked.

The book made no sense either.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

^

Also, nobody has mentioned yet that the film is very boring and slow-paced.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I found the film fascinating in a very cerebral kind of way. The funny thing about it is that it is very boring and slow-paced, but for me that works to its advantage, and gives it an atmosphere that not a lot of movies have.

That being said, it's not one that I can watch any time. I have to be in a very particular mood, otherwise I'll never have the attention span to sit through the whole thing. I'm reminded of a 1970s Soviet sci-fi film, Solaris, which was even weirder and more slow-paced than 2001 was. But like 2001, it had a lot of atmosphere and the mind-crushing slowness of it was made up for by some really really good cinematography. (Also, like 2001, it got totally trippy and weird for no reason towards the end.)

Finally, I have to post this...
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

StupidBunny wrote: Finally, I have to post this...
*insert stoner-dog meme here*
Last edited by Paramultart on Mon Sep 27, 2010 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

StupidBunny wrote:I'm reminded of a 1970s Soviet sci-fi film, Solaris
Oh man, I'm reminded that I have yet to watch this.

As for 2001, I've watched it when I was 10 or so, and, well I didn't quite get anything back then I think. I didn't feel it was psychedelic or anything, but on the other hand I've watched Fritz the Cat at the same age.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I think I've seen the sequel but I can't remember anything about it. I've read all the books though, but the first one is the best of them.
And is it normal to feel like there is almost nothing to live for after watching it?
Heh. I've heard of this movie causing strong reaction in people...

I've seen the movie a few times and I like it. It's really good, one of the best I've seen. But since I don't really watch movies anymore elsewhere than at cinema I haven't seen it for a while. The ending is the best part.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Paramultart wrote:^

Also, nobody has mentioned yet that the film is very boring and slow-paced.
A lot of hardcore science fiction is slow and "boring", like the book I, Robot (that had absolutely nothing to do with the Will Smith movie). The problem with 2001 is that a bunch of scenes in the movie had only a general connection with the main plot (what did the apes and the star-child have to do with anything?), so people not only got bored, they got confused.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

StupidBunny wrote:Finally, I have to post this...
Haha, I'll have to watch that when Adobe stops being ****ish and crashing firefox every time I go to YouTube. Is there any way to force HTML5? I've heard there isn't.

Just wondering, what is it that those who don't like the film don't like?

And yeah, I plan to watch the sequel haha

EDIT: I wrote that an hour ago and didn't post before leaving the computer, I'll get 'round to saying something constructive later.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

RoboBlue wrote:(what did the apes and the star-child have to do with anything?)
The apes were early human ancestors whom the monolith started to guide to and on the path of early consciousness and intelligence, the way they were designed to do (the monoliths); to travel around in space and start helping life forms with some potential. The star-child was that astronaut Dave(?) after he was made something above human. Obviously. :dopekeen If I remember it all right...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

KeenRush wrote:
RoboBlue wrote:(what did the apes and the star-child have to do with anything?)
The apes were early human ancestors whom the monolith started to guide to and on the path of early consciousness and intelligence, the way they were designed to do (the monoliths); to travel around in space and start helping life forms with some potential. The star-child was that astronaut Dave(?) after he was made something above human. Obviously. :dopekeen If I remember it all right...
THANKYOU!!! :D
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I remember watching this long ago and liking it back then, but heck, I barely remember by now. The movie is referenced enough in popular culture so I still know what it's about, though.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Re:

Post by kuliwil »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"
"I can feel....."
Found this long, long ago, before watching the film:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/The-Orig ... 15581.html
I remember I watched that at like 2AM and was really tired, the first video kinda freaked me out a little. I didn't watch the second at the time as I planned on actually watching the film!