I'm remixing a song.

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

I'm remixing a song.

Post by BlueGasMask »

here's a preview:

What_s Below _BGM Remix_ _UNFINISHED_.wav - 31.34MB

how can i approve what i've already got?

(constructive criticism please)

For those of you with a (relatively) gargy connection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfWPAKp7Mc
Last edited by BlueGasMask on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:42, edited 1 time in total.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

:christmas pretty cool!

EDIT: YEA!!! First reply!!! :helmet
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

oh wow all the forums i'm on are dead
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

You waited only like, 5 hours.

Eh, when compared to the original, it sounds like you only added noise and distorted the sound.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Grimson wrote:You waited only like, 5 hours.

Eh, when compared to the original, it sounds like you only added noise and distorted the sound.
yeah, i'm workin on it.

also it's kinda hard when the only thing i can do to make a new song out of it is use, modify and build upon those 2 samples.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

wow your about the 3rd person I've ever talked to that even knows the genre dubstep, although I'm not a big fan of it. Your remix seems to be easier to listen to than the rhythmically more complex original, but we have yet to see what will become of it in the end.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

tulip wrote:wow your about the 3rd person I've ever talked to that even knows the genre dubstep, although I'm not a big fan of it. Your remix seems to be easier to listen to than the rhythmically more complex original, but we have yet to see what will become of it in the end.
Well Dubstep is a young genre, it's only 11 years old.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

PS- I like how your section markers showed up in Audition...gives me a good way to tell you what sections I'm referreing to.

AND It makes me happy to see you don't have any peaking going on. Keep that up!

I've spent a lot of time working in a studio donig mixing and mastering. I'm not giving criticisms on the song itself, I'm paying attention to how you mixed and EQed the song.

By no means am I an expert, but here is my personal opinion from my experience:

The low-frequency effects you use arent loud enough (first one is at maker 'Loop 1st Below.." ). Don't adjust the volume on the track, adjust the bass frequencies (100hz to 300) to make it come out more. To me, it would sound much more dramatic and convincing to really have the listener *feel* that effect.

Actually in general, this song can use more bass on the bass parts.

I do think you have the high-end instruments balanced out reasonbly well.

Summary/Other notes:

Bring out the bass, kick, and snare drum parts. These are what drive your song and give it a solid foundation. In the mix you posted, the foundation is there; its not as strong as it can be.

The crescendo-ing "chirping" effect at the section called 'Mixed Beat 2 +3xOSC (starts around 1:06) needs to be brought out more. It's buried in the mix, and from what I can tell, you're using it to support the reversed cymbal part.

I feel like the mix is too mono, there's really no convincing stereo effect. Seperate instruments/effects to the left or right channels to bring them out more without adjusting volume or EQ. Do this at your discretion. Or auto-panning the channels would be good dramatic effect.

Hope this helps and is clear.
Keep up the work your doing.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Mashed up 2 together, here's teh link:

Raise Your Pjanoo.mp3 - 16.28MB

Uploading an Instrumental which I think is better than the version with vocals :S

Raise Your Pjanoo _Instrumental_.mp3 - 16.28MB

Here it is.

EDIT: Upon further review, I believe that it needs just a tiny bit changed/added.