ALF

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

ALF

Post by thehackercat »

I've watched this hokey little sitcom since I was about 5 and caught reruns. Recently I rented a couple of DVDs from the 3rd season and fell completely in love with the show!

I can't explain why I like it actually. Sure, it's funny sometimes, but overall I think the tongue-in-cheek science fiction elements drew me in, similar to Keen. The music is also incredibly nostalgic to me, considering the whole confident 80's bass thing it has going on.

Comments/reviews of the show? I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people who like it. :disguised
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm familiar with the character, but have never seen the source show he came from. So I'm guessing it's like family matters, only instead of Steve Urkle, you have this alien living with what would otherwise be an average run-of-the-mill family, am I right? :spot
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

"There's foam in them thar hills"

NSFW:
http://www.formulatv.com/fotos/a/22000/ ... lf-gay.jpg
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I'm familiar with the character, but have never seen the source show he came from. So I'm guessing it's like family matters, only instead of Steve Urkle, you have this alien living with what would otherwise be an average run-of-the-mill family, am I right? :spot
Mostly. However the family is sort of strange to begin with. Willie Tanner (Max Wright) is... well, he's sort of like Napoleon Dynamite grown up.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

This is the catalyst for brain-rot.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I kind of remember Alf. Used to watch the series as a kid (I found it an alright series). After that, never thought about it again.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I like the first episode, where he gave a kid beer. Also later on he threatened to kill Reagan. He would've been annoying, but every other character on the show was dry and lame, so it was fun to see them being tortured onscreen.
The irony is that, as we found out later, the actors were treated horribly while the puppet was treated like gold. :/
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Alf is a classic from back when I still liked tv. I still love it, but I have to say this is one of the rare cases where the German dub is better (meaning funnier) than the original. (Others being "The Persuaders!" and "King of Queens")
Image You crack me up little buddy!
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

tulip wrote:Alf is a classic from back when I still liked tv. I still love it, but I have to say this is one of the rare cases where the German dub is better (meaning funnier) than the original. (Others being "The Persuaders!" and "King of Queens")
Yes, I am using the German ALF dubs to practice my German listening.. Interesting because most things ALF talks about are not said by normal people every day. :crazy
I'm not quite conversational enough to hear everything the first time through, but I can see where you're coming from.