Tales from Earthsea (film)

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Tales from Earthsea (film)

Post by Grimson »

Last friday, I saw this on a DVD on the shelves of a supermarket, and immediately I knew I was going to watch it. Unlike I usually do, I didn't read any reviews or watch any trailers before deciding on watching the movie.

It was fantastic. Studio Ghibli is known to produce top quality anime films, but this was just awesome :O The movie clearly stood out from the rest of the studio's anime films, but I'm one of the people who saw this only as a good thing. None of the Ghibli films have inspired me like this before.

Not to mention it featured my favourite creatures, dragons :love (and awesome ones too, as they should be! ...That being the reason it caught my attention in the first place :o)

Now for some facts:

Tales from Earthsea, or Gedo Senki in japanese, is a 2006 anime movie from Studio Ghibli, more or less based on Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books. Unlike most of Ghibli films, this one was directed by Gorō Miyazaki, the son of Hayao Miyazaki. Right after its release the movie was well greeted, reaching and holding the title of the no. 1 movie in Japan for five weeks. However, partly due to Le Guin's own criticism of the movie, its ratings dropped, and both the movie and the director was given the "Worst Movie/Director" awards by the end of the year.

Please discuss the film, and rate it if you like. For those who haven't seen it yet, if you liked Studio Ghibli's previous anime films, or you enjoy anime in general (I'm not even really an anime fan myself, I've only watched two anime series and a couple of movies, but I liked all of them), considering watching Tales from Earthsea.
Last edited by Fleexy on Tue Feb 28, 2023 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix misencoded character
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Basically, everything from Ghibli is worth seeing. I don't remember watching it although I may have long before... The Ghibli fans are saying that this wasn't a masterpiece because it was directed by the son of Hayao Miyazaki.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Been awhile since I saw it but I recall enjoying it, despite the severe departure from Ursula Le Guin's books (it is based off the third and fourth book in the Earth Sea series, The Farthest Shore and Tehanu, of which I've only read the first). If you're interested in dragons, the books are a bit more involved with them, although her writing style is very dry and in my opinion the conclusions to her books are not very exciting.