What Music Are You Listening To?

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

omar rodriguez lopez - estrangular el extranjero

Edit: I was trying to be all fancy with album art, but what I posted was probably too big for the forum. Here's the link: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb1vv ... _cover.jpg
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Pinback - "Grey Machine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv-ffi2hkTQ

This is just about perfect.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

ckguy wrote:Pinback - "Grey Machine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv-ffi2hkTQ
That ends up pretty Beatles-ey toward the end!

Not quite my thing but nicely done.

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Yes I found that pretty Beatlesy too, although it lacks one of the hallmarks of Beatles songs: conciseness.

Speaking of that great band, or its members, this is absolute magic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8poht52GAs

-----------------------------------------------------------
On an entirely different vein, musically, are people familiar with this currently popular dance track, and what do they think of it in context of modern dance?
http://youtu.be/gHiqPG0526U

NB it's on pitchfork's youtube channel but that does not render me in any way a hipster :P
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't post in this topic, but when I do,

I do it the GANGNAM STYLE
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

dear me! well your currently popular dance track trumps mine, if not musically, at least by virtue of over five hundredfold more views!

For disco-era enthusiasts, I am big into this tune at the moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDCDmRRGGBw
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I keep getting great second-hand vinyl for only one or two dollars!

Right now I'm listening to a self-titled EP by Australian 80s band Deckchairs Overboard. Their lineup has at different times featured faces from Icehouse, Crowded House and Split Enz. This is their first release I believe. Oh, and their name makes me think of Commander Spleen.

Other very recent $1-$2 finds:
  • Ultravox - Vienna (There are some wonderful tracks on that album)
    Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party (Oman, that's good.)
Also been listening to Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger, which is an old $3 find.

Also also been listening to The Flaming Lips' Transmissions from the Sattelite Heart.

And a cheap CD I picked up yesterday: Nightlife by Erase Errata. They're from Washington but the CD is made in Canada. Got a tiny bit of Tera Melos, but mostly just a great female punk band.

Yes, I've gone 100% 80s/early 90s.

ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmnfppoYtA

Jethro Tull - "Wond'ring Aloud, Again" Original 7-minute version of the song that ended up as the 2-minute "Wond'ring Aloud" on their 1971 album "Aqualung". A love song with an edge.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Cool find, ckguy! Never knew about that! Great song!
Right now, I'm listening to To Be Over by Yes.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

I was listening to Streetlight Manifesto (Specifically the whole of Somewhere in the Between) in preparation for the new album, but then Tomas decided to kick the release back to January! Fffffffffff-

Now I've been on a big Tom Petty kick, with just a wee bit of Necrophagist/Dying Fetus for something a bit heavier. I've really been moving away from the metal scene lately though. Still, Fermented Offal Discharge - Necrophagist will always be one of my favourite songs :drool
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

wow those metal album titles are revolting!! When I moved away from the metal scene I was only really concerned with the old reliables - Megadeth and Pantera, and toying a little with some Meshuggah. And of course Tool. All that said, your Necrophagist song is not terrible at all, in fact some of the riffs and solos are very good, however I just don't see much merit in that style of vocal. The Megadethishness is strong with this song and it would benefit from Mustaine-style vocalisations!

But it's classics and alternative for me these days plus some electronic dabblings. And eighties!!!!

I am so very into my early R.E.M. so...
R.E.M. - Finest Worksong (1987) http://youtu.be/559eWB93jW4
and what the heck... another one:
R.E.M. - Perfect Circle (1983) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGx9Ez6aBHw
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

@TK: To Be Over is a great track which I could have easily overlooked. I'm glad I didn't.

myself, I've been listening to all sorts of things, some of which I suppose I neglected to post about in yon new music thread. whatever. have an overly long post full of my pretentious talkings about music I (mostly) like in rough listening order.

tracks:
Caribou - Odessa (2010)
excessively catchy, dark minimal techno via psychedelic folk? maybe I should never try using genres ever again, because I'll only make a fool of myself. whatever. chicken steak, chicken steak, chicken steak. honourable mention also to Owen Pallett's cover, because violins w/loop pedals are cool.

Bon Iver - Come Talk To Me (2010)
Elbow - Mercy Street (2010)
Peter Gabriel covers by people I like? sign me up please and thank you. both of these in particular have a sort of ethereal floaty quality which I can get behind. you may have other opinions?

albums:
The National - Alligator (2005)
I came into this off The National's more recent releases, High Violet and Exile Vilify. Alligator is distinctly different from those and honestly I'm happy for it. High Violet had a sort of consistent, almost wallowing emotional quality to it, whereas Alligator manages to hit higher highs and lower lows. Val Jester and City Middle paint gentle, bleak pictures while Mr. November is a raw and powerful finish. haha wow I sound dumb. either way. 's cool but if you don't like albums that sit around being depressed, don't listen to it, because if there's one thing you can accuse The National of it's sitting around being depressed.

Casey LaLonde - Thank You (2010)
on the opposite end of the scale, this is some very nice, very relaxed electronic stuff. the whole album just sort of picks me up, very feel-good. I can't find much to say because there's not really much to say about it, which is sort of its strength (or weakness if you want to go that way) - just relax and listen.

Lemon Demon - Dinosaurchestra (2006)
There was a time when I was largely (unfairly) disparaging towards Lemon Demon albums post-Damn Skippy. having actually listened to one in its entirety now, I know how totally wrong I was. While some of Dinosaurchestra's earlier tracks aren't amazing, brilliance really shines through towards the end. The final part of the three-part title track spread across the album is a beautiful work in many ways - if I didn't like The Too Much Song as much as I do, I'd complain that it gets in the way of letting Dinosaurchestra Pt. 3 close, because I'm pretty sure I have honestly never heard a more perfect ending to an album. Actually, can I just talk about that track? The way it transitions seamlessly and rapidly from the childish and innocent first two parts into a grimly serene acceptance of inevitable death, ugh, it's so damn good.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (1998)
as someone whose musical interests tend to unfortunately overlap with that of the hipster stereotype, I figured it'd be worth a listen. for the most part, it is, although about a third of the time I really wished Jeff Mangum would stop screeching horrifically. while I get that it's part of the raw and emotional tone of the thing, I have a limit. when he tones down the screech on Communist Daughter, it's really quite pleasant.

Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy (2011)
lo-fi, generally pretty hard, strongly psychedelia-tinged indie rock. I feel like the worst sort of irredeemable hipster for enjoying this but honestly, who gives a damn what music I like? I do kinda feel like the two longest tracks, Beach Life-in-Death and Famous Prophets (Minds) overstay their welcome a touch? they both stay varied but it feels like they could have easily topped out at 7 or 8 minutes and not lost anything much. besides the mild length issues there, though, I really enjoy this, from the short, simple ditty of Stop Smoking through the wonderful closer of Twin Fantasy (Those Boys).

there's probably a bunch of other stuff I forgot about or just didn't write about too but w/e this is long enough I'm sure
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

TerminILL wrote: Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (1998)
as someone whose musical interests tend to unfortunately overlap with that of the hipster stereotype, I figured it'd be worth a listen. for the most part, it is, although about a third of the time I really wished Jeff Mangum would stop screeching horrifically. while I get that it's part of the raw and emotional tone of the thing, I have a limit. when he tones down the screech on Communist Daughter, it's really quite pleasant.
Have you ever listened to The Mountain Goats? If you like NMH you'd probably really enjoy them!

(Also, Lemon Demon used to be one of my absolute favourites back in the day haha)
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I've listened to a track or two, and I've liked what I heard (Darnielle's voice seems to tend more towards the tolerable than Mangum's). Perhaps I need to make up something of a musical to-do (to-listen?) list because I have a tendency of just not getting around to listening to a lot of stuff which gets recommended in my general direction.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

TerminILL wrote:I've listened to a track or two, and I've liked what I heard (Darnielle's voice seems to tend more towards the tolerable than Mangum's). Perhaps I need to make up something of a musical to-do (to-listen?) list because I have a tendency of just not getting around to listening to a lot of stuff which gets recommended in my general direction.
Yeah, I have that problem too. People tell me about all these great bands, and play a song or two for me, then I forget the bands name :lol

On topic, I remembered how much I love Slayer last night, so the whole night was blasting Slayer - Reign in Blood, Show no Mercy and World Painted Blood , drinking whiskey (Crown Royal if anyone even cares) and play The Binding of Isaac. Oh god what a great night.

Quite a few people I know HATE World Painted Blood but I think it's still pretty intense, and Kerry King actually plays better solos than ANY other Slayer album. Except the Slayer album that is clearly the best overall...