The new new music thread

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

The other night I did a nice Melvins marathon. They're such a perplexing group...nobody can deliver such nonsensical lyrics with such seriousness as they do.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I got into this 80s revival flash lately so I got this because it is the greatest:
https://aphasiarecords.bandcamp.com/alb ... -system-ep
Image You crack me up little buddy!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I've been lately possessed to get my hands on a Stryper album or two, and I don't know why. Maybe I'm just fascinated by the idea that a hair band composed of guys in bumblebee suits singing about how much they love Jesus could actually be fun to listen to, or...maybe they're just fun to listen to.

In terms of new music I DO have, Primitive and Deadly, the new album by Earth, is amazing and you should all listen to it.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Lately for me it has mostly been Slint, a bunch of local bands (see other thread), Sixteen Deluxe, Polvo, Dead Kennedys, Pavement and Foetus.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I've been meaning to pick up a few more Melvins albums... which ones would you recommend Stupidbunny?

In the meantime...

The whole Simon and Garfunkel discography is worth a listen.
Apart from the essentials on the aptly titled "Essential S+G", I also heartily recommend:
  • So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright
    A Most Peculiar Man
    Cloudy
    The Dangling Conversation
    Sparrow
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Benvolio wrote:I've been meaning to pick up a few more Melvins albums... which ones would you recommend Stupidbunny?
I only have Gluey Porch Treatments through to Stoner Witch, all of which are good in their own way. Bullhead and Houdini I think are great starters, so it's good that those appear to be the ones you have. Lysol (see if you can track down a copy that actually says that!) is weird, but pretty cool...the first half is very droney and the gives to variants of Melvinsey freaky weirness. Prick is surprisingly funny in parts, or maybe I'm just easily amused. More objectively it's a totally ridiculous album and it's clear they're not kidding when they said it was a joke.

Have you listened to anything by Boris at all before? They're rapidly becoming one of my favorites and if you like Melvins you may like Boris too.

I got all of these at various points spanning a long time ago but I love Earth so damn much I'm gonna mention them all now, anyway.

Earth:
A Bureaucratic Desire for Extra-Capsular Extraction: Strange but compelling, really claustrophobic and thundery
Earth 2 (Special Low Frequency Version): Drone metal at its very droniest. It's one of my favorite listens now, it's bizarrely interesting to listen to and somehow manages to be both ominous and soothing.
Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions: Weird music here, a lot of the songs (mostly the shorter ones) sound like extremely deconstructed stoner metal songs or something.
HEX; or Printing in the Infernal Method: The band changed their sound here (after a reunion) and it works just as well. Much clearer, more ambient and eerie than it is droney.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Many thanks for those recommendations which I hope to follow up on in the near future.

But my latest compact disc purchase is a slightly different kind of metal album:

Slipknot - .5: The Gray Chapter

Has anyone else got it yet? What is the PCKF's verdict?!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Not sure why, but I've been on a 60s-70s classic rock binge:
Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin
The Doors - Light My Fire
Iron Butterfly - In a Gadda Da Vida
Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade Of Pale
Jefferson Airplane - Lather, White Rabbit and Somebody to Love
as well as some Who, Pink Floyd, Kansas and CCR :crazy
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Heard the new Floyd album yet?

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Keening_Product wrote:Heard the new Floyd album yet?
Nope, thanks for pointing it out!
Gonna go listen to it this weekend ;)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Also on somewhat of an early 70s binge... some really high quality stuff, notably the eponymous debut album of Roxy Music - a true masterpiece of solid rock music, projected upon a canvas of the bizarre and eclectic. Also, the debut album by J.J. Cale, 'Naturally', which is one of the most atmospheric records I have ever heard. You need to sit alone, preferably after midnight, with a whiskey or beer as your taste will dictate, turn that dimmer right down, and immerse yourself in the beautiful songs. Also a few oft-overlooked Dylan records: "New Morning" and "Planet Waves" - these albums could warrant pages upon pages of discussion but they shall not receive that this evening. Finally, Van Morrison's Moondance - another triumph of production, musicianship, and songwriting.

That '69-'75 era is by no means the only era to have produced wonderful popular music, but surely it was the least pretentious time in rock history, when music was played for the sake of the music itself, and everything else - sex, drugs, ego, you name it, was a secondary priority. When these things took hold and grabbed the limelight, the art began to suffer and a long downward spiral began, leading ultimately to the drivel of today - Minaj and her ilk.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Just picked up a bunch of CDs from an op shop, including a couple by Clouds. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctUMUzUJAS0

entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Most recent CD purchase I believe was Faust - The Faust Tapes. Not got around to listening to it that much yet though
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I'm running out of music to buy

Camel - A Live Record
Spock's Beard - Day For Night (RIP, Mr. Spock)
Spock's Beard - The Kindness of Strangers
Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia Di Un Minuto (Italian Dark Side of the Moon?)
Premiata Forneria Marconi - L'isola Di Niente
The Watch - Vacuum
Nick Magnus - Children of Another God (The way this theme returns and wraps up the album is sublime)
Nick Magnus - n'monix (Don't let the video distract you. Great song)
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Pegtor
Grunt

Post by Pegtor »

Me and one of my other brothers got MoffD the Agents of Fortune Blue Oyster Cult album :P
-Pegtor-
-
MoffD's psychotic, younger brother.