The new new music thread

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
KeenCommander
Grunt

Post by KeenCommander »

The only thing I've actually bought recently is Emilie Autumn - Enchant, which is absolutely amazing and coolest packaging ever. I basically pirate everything, or get it off the subscription service that I get for free from the college.

I'd like to buy the new Nightwish album, since it's really good, but money is a little short. I saw them in concert on October 20th - they were amazing. I like both the old and the new stuff, but I think the new singer is better.
If there are more bands that use orchestra like this, and I'm sure there are but I just don't know them, someone tell me some names!
I don't know of anything that is exactly like Nightwish, but as far as orchestra-oriented metal bands go I would recommend: Angtoria and Delain. I would also definitely recommend Epica and Diablo Swing Orchestra, but they have a more operatic style of singing, so if you don't like old Nightwish, you might not like them either. Within Temptation's Mother Earth album is also fairly similar, but their style changed somewhat in later albums. Finally Elis is just an amazing female fronted metal band, although they don't have any of the orchestral styling. Hope you find something you like.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Epica is pretty bad in my opinion and I really think KR won't like the vocals. WT is ok. Not really Dutch bands that made it big that I'd be proud of.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

ZidaneA wrote:But, well, the last album I buyed was "Final Fantasy IX OST" (OST = Original SoundTrack), I believe.
DUDE... that doesn't count. Were talking about mainstream *actual* music, not Play Station game music. Besides... Final Fantasy 9 was TERRIBLE.

I think the last album I bought was Tool, "10,000 Days."
No... I also grabbed some cheap CDs from the bargin bin. I think one was "Trio" and another was... "Songs for a Broken Hard Drive." Both of which were competely terrible and therefore I promptly lost the CDs to both.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Galaxieretter wrote: *actual* music, not Play Station game music
How exactly is it not "actual music"?
KeenCommander
Grunt

Post by KeenCommander »

elecdude33 wrote:
Galaxieretter wrote: *actual* music, not Play Station game music
How exactly is it not "actual music"?
Game music is certainly "actual" music, though I'm not sure I'd go out and buy it. Even so, not everyone has to have mainstream tastes.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

KeenCommander wrote:Game music is certainly "actual" music, though I'm not sure I'd go out and buy it. Even so, not everyone has to have mainstream tastes.
My case; although I'm not so mad to go and invest money on buying just the soundtrack of a game.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Porcupine Tree - Signify

And yeah, I largely pirate stuff now. But if I really like it, I buy the cd to support the band.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Game music is synthesized music, but so is electronic music. It's also first composed in a normal way, at least if you're talking about FF music it always is.

I sometimes listen to OSTs or remixes, though they don't always compare to non-game music. Why? Because it's usually all used in the background, to support the game, and therefore use simpler/looping structures. Which makes me think about how much better the game songs sound if it's about a certain event.
Final Fantasy 9 was TERRIBLE.
Don't forget, that's just your opinion. Besides, some of the music is actually pretty good.
KeenCommander
Grunt

Post by KeenCommander »

DaVince wrote:Game music is synthesized music, but so is electronic music.
Actually a lot of game music in modern games is recorded with real orchestras and whatnot, especially with the increases in disc storage space, though there are still people (Nintendo, among others) who still use the synthesized approach.

I'm surprised the game music argument even came up here, since I don't think anyone would be willing to argue that Bobby Prince isn't an "actual" composer.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Not gonna lie, I have the Myst and Riven soundtracks.

(I didn't buy them though, so not really a fair test of "Are game soundtracks real music that people go out and buy?")
Captain Winters
Grunt

Post by Captain Winters »

Evermore are cool...

As for soundtracks, it turns out that if you examine the files for Morrowind and Unreal Tournament 2003, they are in standard formats. Warcraft III and Starcraft are easily enough extracted. Visit www.midisite.co.uk for midis of your favourite songs. It's dialup friendly! :D
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

KeenCommander wrote:Actually a lot of game music in modern games is recorded with real orchestras and whatnot, especially with the increases in disc storage space ...
And also, of course, there's the way of using various different bands and their songs to make the soundtrack that has nothing to do with the actual game in the sense the tracks aren't purposefully made for it or anything. I don't think that's a bad idea, I love the soundtrack of my favourite non-Keen game, SSX3. Each track fits the game perfectly. 8)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
adurdin
Grunt

Post by adurdin »

In the last two weeks:

Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
Elbow - Cast of Thousands
Del Rey - Darkness & Distance
Gus Gus - Attention
John Powell - The Bourne Identity OST (a fantastic soundtrack)
Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Wow, I don't know any of those names except John Powell (and I don't have anything by him).

I went to the record store again today, good use for the student payment the goverment finally started paying me. 8)
Juno Reactor - Shango
The Offspring - Smash
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
xtraverse
Stranded Fish

Post by xtraverse »

Lately I've become obsessed with the album Milliontown by Frost*.

And tonight I'm going to a show with the dj Armin van Buuren, who apparently is now number one in the world, should be neat.