The new new music thread

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hounds of Love was the first album of hers that I heard (I'm not sure exactly when I heard it, 2010 probably) and I really liked her voice but the album felt a bit too commercial-y for me. (Definitely had lots of good stuff on it though. The Big Sky starting at 2:28 is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.) Suddenly on a whim I decided to check out her other albums, and loved these two. I have a few other albums of hers to check out and I hope/expect this will not be my last Kate Bush purchase.

(I initially came back to this thread to add a link to the less-harsh Night of the Swallow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq-5TvY4BEA for The Dreaming, and to my surprise there was already a reply!)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Keening_Product wrote:Woooooo! Another Devo fan!

I have a few of their records from op shops and record fairs. They are one of, if not my number one favourite band right now.

Have you heard New Traditionalists?

Also, notice the Eno influence in Q/A?
I don't notice the influence because I don't really know Brian Eno's music. It makes sense though, given what I know about the album's production.

I haven't heard New Traditionalists but I'll check it out if you think it's worthwhile. :) I've been comparing Devo a lot with Laibach (which, you might notice, I got into earlier this year) and there's a fair amount in their aesthetics and and philosophy that's surprisingly similar, even if the music is quite different and the conformity thing is conveyed differently.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

And next in our Ckguy Only Posts In The Music Threads series:

Crypts - Crypts (2012)

Stream the album here -> http://crypts.bandcamp.com/

This is a different kind of a thing. The tags on bandcamp say experimental electronic, goth punk, rock. I guess that's a good a description as any. This is dark, and aggressive, and gritty. It has negative vibes, but they're definitely more of the angry kind than of the depressed kind. Some reviewer online said the first word that comes to his mind describing their music is 'dirty'. I haven't yet mentioned the screamed vocals buried in the mix. These are awesome. This is a disorganized review. Just turn this up really loud and listen.

Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band - 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons (2008)

The title track -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=883uv8OCCPw

Silver Mt. Zion contains three(-ish?) members (a guitarist, a bassist, a violinist) of post-rock giants Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and you can definitely hear the similarities between GYBE and SMZ. But Silver Mt. Zion are also definitely their own thing. A lot more aggressive. Also, with vocals. These vocals are a thing. The vocals are probably the most off-putting thing about this album. (Well maybe the vocals and the fact that it contains four 13-to-16-minute tracks.) The singer is the guitarist and he is not, um, he is not a classically good singer. But it really, really works here somehow. (In my opinion, of course, etc.) Lots of fans of this band's previous (and more instrumental) work cannot stand the vocals, think they ruin the album, and so on and so on. I don't think I'm better than those people, just luckier maybe.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

got some hipster trash cds today

Steven Wilson - Insurgentes (2009)
Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstair (1993)
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1997)
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F♯ A♯ ∞ (1997)
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Anyone who knows me on other forums will tell you I'm a big Jean Michel Jarre fan. The family discovered his music seven years ago and I've been hooked ever since. Apart from that I'm mostly into ambient electronica music; FC Kahuna and Gorillaz, and I'll also into a local quartet, the Fourplay Electronic String Quartet.

I can't provide pictures but I can share some music. :D

Chronologie Part 4 - Chronologie by Jean Michel Jarre (I can't deny, he does tend to project a slight hint of an ego.)

Hayling (shortened) - Machine Says Yes by FC Kahuna

<Title Track> - Plastic Beach by Gorillaz

Reptilia (Strokes render) - Now to the Future by the Fourplay Electronic String Quartet
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

I've been listening to a lot of Foxy Shazam lately. Eric Sean Nally's voice is amazing!

Specifically though, The French Passion of Animality Opera is a fucling amazing song, give it a listen if you're into... jeez like... glam post-hardcore? I think it's pretty glammy. In fact listen to all of The Flamingo Trigger.
Other than that, it's been a lot of the Beatles. It's that time of year again!

Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles is awesome and really doesn't get enough credit. Your Mother Should Know and Bluejay Way are really, really good. I always felt like there was some kind of deep dark meaning to YMSK, as it's got a kind of unnerving quality to it, and Bluejay Way is the only instrumental the Beatles ever released.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I agree Magical Mystery Tour is great, its peaks higher in quality than Sgt Pepper though its troughs are lower. I love I Am the Walrus and all of Side 2. Even "Baby You're A Rich Man" is pretty fun though quite unpolished by Beatles standards. Oh I think you mean Flying, it's an almost-instrumental with just some wordless singing. Plenty of lyrics in Blue Jay Way, which though quite good is one of their most depressing songs to me! Even though the Magical Mystery Tour LP is partly a vessel for some of their most significant singles, it now serves as maybe a top5 album of theirs.

Oh what am I listening to at the mo? Well I am continually obsessed with the Smashing Pumpkins, specifically their early work though I plan to try out 'Adore'. Here's a choice cut or two, live versions, pure greatness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avr_AB6xEbc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byzeyLkvn9E
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Benvolio wrote:Beatly-werds
Oh damn, you're right, I'm an idiot. I totally meant Flying haha, my bad.

Sgt. Pepper's never used to hold that much oomph for me, but going back to it lately "Good Morning, Good Morning" and "She's Leaving Home" (two tracks I used to think were easily the weakest tracks on the album) have been sounding better and better to me with each play. Also, I've been getting more into the early Beatles like Beatles for Sale and such, back when they were all hopped up on speed. You can really hear the.. i don't know how to put it... uh... driving force behind their music. It's a lot simpler, but you can really just TELL that they're all totally into what they're doing at that point (And that they actually work well together).

Anyone ever hear that story about how "She Said, She Said" was about Peter Fonda shooting himself in the stomach when he was a kid? Well, it was. Woo.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Yeah Sgt Pepper, though absolutely excellent objectively, doesn't draw me in as much as Revolver or the White Album, or even Abbey Road. I do love those two songs you mention as well as Fixing A Hole and Lovely Rita. But Revolver, my that is one good album.

Yeah I too love early Beatles, in fact A Hard Day's Night might rank in my top5 of all Beatles albums. Beatles For Sale was less consistent, but its reviews were too harsh - the originals as well as the Rock and Roll Music cover stand out. And the first ten songs on Number 1's, well what can be said. Ticket to Ride is one of my favourites, the rhythm of the song is unparalled in pop music I think! And yeah the drug use in early years was not prominent publically like in the later years. The press hadn't really become infatuated with drugs until maybe 1965 or 1966. But behind the scenes, those were bad boys. Even in Hamburg they were hardened if not violent men! absolute idols!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7JUMc6ch2c
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

I'm currently posting from work, so I can't really go through youtube to look, but I saw an interview with George Harrison that's pretty hella old where he talks about how he Male-cow-sharted his way into the Beatles. Apparently he only knew one song from start to finish on guitar, and learned everything else while he was playing the Fab Four.

I actually find their time in Hamburg really fascinating, and honestly the Wikipedia article is REALLY REALLY REALLY good, definitely worth a read.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Merry Keenmas folks... the eighties provided some great Keenmas songs but also some others that are associated with Keenmas though never mentioning the birth of Keen... these include:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShN8UIk5-mw

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MSPnFCUghc

And of course for the Irish-American Keenmas flavour, this well known Keenmas classic needs the spotlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Devo - New Traditionalists: it's decent, but hasn't clicked with me the way the three before it have. I'll see if it does after I listen to it a few more times (Duty Now didn't at first either, and now I think it's my favorite of theirs.)

Pentagram - Relentless: awesome, great broody doom metal.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

StupidBunny wrote:Devo - New Traditionalists: it's decent, but hasn't clicked with me the way the three before it have. I'll see if it does after I listen to it a few more times (Duty Now didn't at first either, and now I think it's my favorite of theirs.)
That album is awesome! Keep with it!

Going Under was in an early Miami Vice ep apparently. Given how Through Being Cool was written to kill new popularity, I find that kinda funny.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning: certainly more well-produced than their debut album. "Burning Saviour" is really addictive.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

David Bowie's 66th birthday is being celebrated across the globe today, or so it would seem! :birthday
He's got a new song out too.
But I'll mark his birthday with this very underrated and beautiful old tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fHoMw8tCzo