Haven't seen Oz... don't think I want to now.

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Haven't seen Oz... don't think I want to now.

Post by Paramultart »

I wonder if the fact it ripped off Army of Darkness was intentional or just a weird coincidence:
http://youtu.be/x7RrJWJCUcw
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Enjoyable video!
Incidentally, similar to the TRON trailer I did, take a gander at this one:
http://youtu.be/9zJaB_BO_k4
I think you'll like the rendition of this Oz trailer better.

Ever seen "Return to Oz"? It was released in 1985 and is one of the best Disney movies ever made--in my opinion, of course.
(Here's a trailer I made for Return to Oz http://youtu.be/NMegT2PTifU )
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Have I seen Return to Oz? You should know me well enough to know that! (Okay, maybe that'd be a bit creepy if you did...)

Yes, I've seen all of the films from that wonderful, creepy stage that Disney went through when they were trying to compete with that other studio by making weird horror movies. The Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Return to Oz, The Black Cauldron.

Truly a great era for kid horror!

Also, great job on the video! I love Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and you did a great job synching the audio up there! Hope you get lotsa views on that nice work ya did there, mate. :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Haven't seen Army of Darkness, but unfortunately I have seen Oz Teh Great and so many similarities can't be a coincidence. But then again, almost nothing is new today anyway so whatever.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

OMG a movie ripped of another... what's next? Surely somebody will tell me The Hunger Games ripped off Battle Royale!

As sad as it may seem, that's what the biz is like: take a formula you or anybody else has had success with and copy it as good as you can... that's gotta be a hit right?

Btw that is not limited to movies... see Call of Duty/Battlefield and even good games. The less you know about older movies the more you might enjoy the new ones.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Tulip,
I gotta say, I never thought I'd see something like that coming from you.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Don't know anything about this at all, not a thing. I'm assuming that this is based off Wizard of Oz. As such let me offer my predictions as to what it will be:

* Darker and edgy reimagining
* One of the villains isn't
* One of the heroes isn't either
* It will have a badass butt-kicking girl in it who still needs a man for some reason

If on the other hand this was made before the 1990s then it may actually have some value.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Close enough. I don't know what it is with these "gritty re-imaginings".

Personally, I thought all the Chris Nolan Batman's were extremely "meh". I've never so much as had the desire to re-watch one of them, and the "fanboys" are some of the most boring and banal people I've ever known.

Still, because it was a huge success, everyone is copying the aesthetic. Now we have gritty Spider-Man, gritty Superman, gritty Oz, and coming up is a gritty Fantastic Four and countless other things.

The ironic thing is that none of them are actually gritty or cool at all, they're just aiming for more "realistic" or "believable", like that atrocious Doom movie adaptation that removed every cool aspect that made the games great.

I don't really know if I have a point here other than: Nobody is making movies I want to see. Nobody is making games I want to play. Nobody is making music I want to hear. Our culture sucks, and I think people in general are bad.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Personally I think both the movie and video game* industries are heading for a collapse.

In 1983 people came to a realization, the games they were getting were not quality, they'd had enough and the industry collapsed. Similarly the movie industry has suffered collapses like it when all its movies became the same, when people got tired of the same old stories. This is the situation we're in now, I think over the next few years people are going to start saying 'not this again' and will abandon previously successful formulas in droves. As it is movies are struggling to make profits.

What will emerge after this? Who knows?

* That is, what people call video games. Things like candy Crush Saga are as much video games as anything, but nobody seems to call them that. Possibly because women play them and we all know no real video game is palyed by women.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Paramultart wrote:Personally, I thought all the Chris Nolan Batman's were extremely "meh".
Righto. Brings me back to what I always say when Nolan's name is dropped: There's only one good movie by him - the Prestige.

Btw. I don't know what I said before that surprised you so much. I thought it was well known that I mostly watch old stuff because I feel most of the new stuff is just an empty copy. Also one of the reasons I prefer old movies very often is the aesthetics and the mood. If you watch Pink Panther old and new you get pretty much what I mean.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Yeah, that was a good cartoon.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

tulip wrote: Righto. Brings me back to what I always say when Nolan's name is dropped: There's only one good movie by him - the Prestige.
Agreed, though I quite liked Momento as well.

The problem with a lot of his films is that they have zero replay value. My friend literally forced me to go to see Inception with him, even paying for my ticket. I thought it was okay, but certainly not the "zomg midfucl extreem achievement in cinema" everyone raved about. The idea of watching it again sounds very daunting.
Btw. I don't know what I said before that surprised you so much. I thought it was well known that I mostly watch old stuff because I feel most of the new stuff is just an empty copy.
Ah, that makes more sense. For some reason I thought you were justifying it. I should have known better. :)
Also one of the reasons I prefer old movies very often is the aesthetics and the mood. If you watch Pink Panther old and new you get pretty much what I mean.
Exactly. I have a natural prejudice against heavily computer-assisted movies.

Even though some filmmakers still use 35mm film and some practical effects (Like Chris Nolan and Peter Jackson), there's something about the modern cinema experience that movies don't feel like actual "movies" anymore.

It's not that all of them are necessarily bad, because I can enjoy a lot of "bad" movies and still get enjoyment out of them. (Like practically every John Hughes flick)

Nobody has really looked into this phenomena, because it always gets dismissed as "poisonous nostalgia" and crap. If that were true, I would not be so open to other generations and cultures. There's just something about THIS generation that sucks. I attribute it to post-modernism.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I dunno, people have been saying it;s THIS generation that sucks for a long time. Indeed look at latin (This generation sucks, things were better ages back when people spoke latin! Let's put some stupid latin rules into english!) or the ancient Greeks and their concepts of ages.

I mean holy heck, this generation has cut global poverty in HALF, we must be doing *something* right.

Paramultart wrote:My friend literally forced me to go to see Inception with him, even paying for my ticket. I thought it was okay, but certainly not the "zomg midfucl extreem achievement in cinema" everyone raved about. The idea of watching it again sounds very daunting.
Inception? I liked the duck comic better. http://www.cracked.com/article_19021_5- ... ously.html