Do you have a favourite director?

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
tulip
Flower Pot

Do you have a favourite director?

Post by tulip »

I was wondering (for quite some time now) if you guys have a favourite film director. I mean there are movies where I still don't know who made it, but generally I'm interested in that sort of thing, since I've seen some of my favourite movies by looking which other films a director had made.
And when I look at my DVD collection I often have more than one movie by one director.

It seems my top five favourites are:
1.Wes Anderson
2.Blake Edwards
3.Woody Allen
4.Tim Burton
5.Jim Jarmusch

What are your's if you have favourites?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Mine would be Don Bluth and Haiou miyazaki (sp?) to some degree, but the only one of miyazaki's movies I really, really like is Kiki's Delivery Service. Hence my AIM screen name Jijis Delivery ;)

I can't believe how grossly overrated Tim Burton is. I watched Nightmare before Christmas and it was really stupid. I don't understand why people like it that much. I haven't seen any of his newer movies.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Tim Burton is an acquired taste, to be sure. His movies are mostly hit-or-miss.

There's just too many great directors to make a definitive list (I think mine might reach into the 100s), but my favorite film director is probably David Lynch. His film Eraserhead is my favorite movie of all time. I also really like all of those you listed, tulip.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Word, Viking. Tim Burton IS overrated.

I think my favourite director is MÃ¥ns MÃ¥rlind. He directed the swedish tv-show "De Drabbade". (of which Tim Kring stole alot from to put in his show Heroes)
He also directed "Storm".

Otherwise then him, I have to agree that Haiou Miyazaki is really great too!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I've liked most Miyazaki films I've seen (I didn't really get Porco Rosso, and Laputa was a bit boring, but the rest were great.)
I can understand why one wouldn't like Tim Burton, I didn't even think of him as a favourite, but looking at my DVDs I noticed I have so many movies by him that I really like (Big Fish is possibly my favourite there, but I think Nightmare before Christmas was great, and the DVD has his cute shorts Frankensteenie and Vincent.) Burton really is more about optical effects and atmosphere than story.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Tim Burton falls under the category of emo/goth. That automatically gives him both a cult following, as well as a bunch of people that think he's overrated, or just plain bad.
I'm not sure how I feel about him, as I've only seen a few of his movies. I do like the dark atmospheres in his movies, though.

I don't know enough directors to have a favorite. I don't even have a favorite movie! :crazy
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Ditto with Genius314, I dont' really know many directors and don't usually pay attention to that (or actors). I might have a favorite director and just not know it because of that :dopekeen

Tim Burton's done some okay stuff, of what I know he directed. I realy can't forgive him his version of Planet of the Apes though.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yep, I remembered that Planet of the Apes version the other day *shudder*
Not only is it Burtons worst movie, it also ruins the great original by mutilating the story so that it's now pointless.
But this movie fits well in line with all the remakes that are pure crap, like War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still.

This would bring me to another (pair of) Director(s) who imo also did their worst job with a remake, but otherwise made some great movies:
Joel & Ethan Coen.

The remake I'm talking about is Ladykillers, and shows an epic casting failure. I mean c'mon Alec Guiness is replaced by Tom Hanks and Marlon Wayans (yuck!) replaces either Herbert Lom or Peter Sellers (the names were changed so it's somewhat unclear who has been replaced)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Tim Burton, David Lynch and Miyazaki are definitely among my favourites. There are very few films of theirs that I recall seeing that I didn't enjoy, if any. Alex Proyas might make it onto that list too, but I haven't looked into his filmography enough to know more than a handful of his works.

There are doubtless many other directors that I could list, but I'd have to a) go through my entire list of favourite films to find out who did what and b) list them in order of preference. So meh to that for now.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Heck, I never even considered a favourite director until somebody mentioned Miyazaki. All Ghibli movies rock. :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Oh, nice! I didn't even think to look that up. This opens up another range of films for me to explore.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

On directors, I found this post by TMST in the old PCKF very amusing:
What would be the Keen movie's story if directed by...(20th post)

:lol
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
kendricktamis

Post by kendricktamis »

For me it would have to be Tony Scott(Top Gun, The Fan, Spy Games, Man on Fire, Domino, Deja Vu) my close second is M. Night Shyamalan( Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, Lady in the Water) and third is Ridley Scott( Alien, Blade Runner, GI Jane, Gladiator, Matchstick Men, American Gangster).
melinawaugh

Post by melinawaugh »

Jackson, because he made The Lord of the Rings, which was considered impossible to do the right thing. Not only well done, but also long and accurate breathtaking novels.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Favorites: James Cameron, J.J. Abrams, Wachowski Brothers (for the m3x only), Quentin Tarantino, Pedro Almodovar (was) and others I cannot think of right now.

Worst director ever: Uwe Boll!