Capitalism A Love Story

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Truly, capitalism is not evil. A free-enterprise market is the best way to go, because what you get is what you put into it. Everyone has a stake in taking care of the economy.

CONSIDER THIS: In the former Soviet Union, you will see dead, not dying forests. You will see three-eyed fish in the streams. You will see ruined, not threatened ecosystems. This happens because NO ONE OWNS THESE PLACES PRIVATELY, and therefore no one has a stake in keeping them clean.

Meanwhile, in America, we learn every time a solitary spotted owl is toppled by some logger. Ugh... :rolleyes

EDIT: If I say Australian, you may say American.
If I called you an Aborigine, you may call me a Yank.
While that may be common slang where you live, it really doesn't fly with me. (Especially since I'm Southern. :crazy )
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

thehackercat wrote:If I called you an Aborigine, you may call me a Yank.
I don't think Rorie is an aboriginal australian... I'm sure he's just someone living there, like we're just people living in America. Unless Aborigine is some kind of new slang I don't get :rolleyes

I have no idea what rorie looks like, so maybe I'm wrong :disguised
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
thehackercat wrote:If I called you an Aborigine, you may call me a Yank.
I don't think Rorie is an aboriginal australian... I'm sure he's just someone living there, like we're just people living in America.
Well, just as the people of Australia are no longer primitive Aborigines, we are no longer the timid "Yankee Doodles" living under the fear of a tyrannical monarchy.

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, I'm Southern. For some reason I don't "cotton" (no pun intended) to people calling me a Yankee, even though I am proud to be an American.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

thehackercat's point is that not all americans are 'yanks', and that rorie's useage of yank is: incorrect and possibly derogative, at least as understood in parts of the US. Rorie's made clear a lot that he's not trying to offend anyone, though, I'm sure he doesnt mean anything by it.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

i didn't realize that you americans are offended by the slang yank i apologize & in case you were wondering i am a white australian with no aboriginal ancesty

if you want to see a picture of me

you can see plenty of them on my website
http://www.rorboy1983.com & click on the photos link in the menu
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I've never been offended by the word "yank" myself, I thought it was just casual slang for an American [when used outside the US] and a person from a northern state [when used inside the US].
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

thehackercat wrote:Truly, capitalism is not evil.
Hmm... True, but so is communism. It's how the system is applied in real life and how well resistant it is against abuse of power and that sort of thing that makes one system work better in society than the other.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

DaVince wrote:
thehackercat wrote:Truly, capitalism is not evil.
Hmm... True, but so is communism. It's how the system is applied in real life and how well resistant it is against abuse of power and that sort of thing that makes one system work better in society than the other.
Good you mentioned it.
And it's easy to think Sovjet when you think 'communism' but a communistic society doesn't have to look or end up like Soviet did for that matter. Like DaVince said Soviet's fall was due to the corruption in the government, and the glasnost reforms exposed this in the end of the 1980's. People were sick and tired that so much money was spent on military development instead of spending it on things that actually benifit the society and made it evolve.

The so called democratic government Russia have today seems to be a joke, they only watch their backs and somewhere deep in side they still seem to praise the old communistic values...

Capitalism can mean alot of opportunities but unfortunately the system have been abused for quite some time now and the world felt its effects the past years.
Last edited by DSL on Thu Dec 17, 2009 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

DSL wrote: ... felt it's effects the past years.
Sorry, but.....

"If you want it to be possessive, it's just I-T-S,
But if it's meant to be a contraction then it's I-T-apostrophe-S"

Other than that, fair point.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

DSL wrote: communistic society doesn't have to look or end up like Soviet did
I'm not sure if that is true, as up to date I think each and every communist system on the world has ended up in some kind of dictatorship. The only freely voted communist party I know of was in Kerala Province, but that doesn't really count as a communist system.
Power corrupts man no matter where, there seem to be some fundamental flaws in the communist system that facilitate this corruption.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I wouldn't say that power corrupts, but rather that it reveals. You might want to take some person's stuff, but you know you'd get caught so you don't try. If you're the law, however, you could just go ahead and take it. People in unchecked power just do the things they've wanted to do all along.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

Draik wrote:
DSL wrote:
Sorry, but.....

"If you want it to be possessive, it's just I-T-S,
But if it's meant to be a contraction then it's I-T-apostrophe-S"

Yeah sorry i should have spotted it in the first place. :o

tulip wrote:
DSL wrote: communistic society doesn't have to look or end up like Soviet did
I'm not sure if that is true, as up to date I think each and every communist system on the world has ended up in some kind of dictatorship. The only freely voted communist party I know of was in Kerala Province, but that doesn't really count as a communist system.
Power corrupts man no matter where, there seem to be some fundamental flaws in the communist system that facilitate this corruption.
Yeah, i agree with you. I rather live in a bad capitalistic society than a communistic one. But if i can choose freely i would prefer not to live in either of them.