No Commodore 64 Old Men (art thread)

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

No Commodore 64 Old Men (art thread)

Post by Allstories »

I thought this would be fun to try. Even though the C64 was around years before I was even born. I think it has some pretty fun limitations.

I pixeled it by hand in a regular old image program, and then a guy from the Pixelation community converted it into a .PRG file for me so it runs through a C64 emulator.

The limitations are the C64's 16-color palette, 320x200 resolution, and you can only use two colors per 8x8 area. Because of that, it's tough to keep everything cohesive, but it's also very fun to work on.

And you thought EGA was limiting. :bloody
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Very nice work. Heh, interesting limitations, I didn't know that, but I guess I have seen it (the limitations) without knowing it, as this piece looks very 64ish.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Re: No Commodore 64 Old Men (art thread)

Post by Malvineous »

Allstories wrote:The limitations are the C64's 16-color palette, 320x200 resolution, and you can only use two colors per 8x8 area. Because of that, it's tough to keep everything cohesive, but it's also very fun to work on.

And you thought EGA was limiting. :bloody
That's quite interesting - PC text mode is very similar, only each cell is a bit larger (I think CGA is 8x8, EGA is 8x14 and VGA is 9x16.) That and you can't control it on a pixel by pixel basis, you can only change each of the 256 characters, and then display one of those characters in each cell (with a foreground and background colour.)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Wow, that's rather crafty. It's amazing what can be done with such restrictions.

It's funny how I didn't notice those limitations back in the days of Shoot-em-up Construction Kit, which is the only medium through which I've really dealt with C64 graphics, though they were most definitely present now that I think back on its interface.
Malvineous wrote:PC text mode is very similar
An intriguing observation. There's another challenge to consider.