GateWorld similarities with Commander Keen/Cosmo

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

Good LP, VBB. :)

One thing I like about the game for sure is the title screen music. IT'S SO CATCHY!!! Dooo dooo do do do do do doooooooo... Most of the rest of the music is horrible, though.

I also like the sheer randomness of the game, just because it's amusing. :lol I remember downloading this game long ago, and... I thought it was okay. Looking back to it, though, and it mostly looks terrible. And that color palette couldn't be any more 1990's if it tried, especially with that trippy red-to-blue flashing thing! :sick
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I didn't have the stamina to listen to you read the story for 8 minutes...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

tulip wrote:I didn't have the stamina to listen to you read the story for 8 minutes...
imagine how it made me feel :sick
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I didn't mean your voice, it was just soooo slow.

btw: this game WAS made by Apogee, they just didn't release it... read this thread.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Calvero wrote:Now, go play Rallo Gump. :)
It's similar to GateWorld; it even has the same cheat codes. :)
Thaniks a lot. That site you linked to gave me a popup virus and I had to do a system restore :wormouth >:

whether or not it was a real virus or one of those popups that scream "YOUR KOMPYUTAR EES INFEKTID!!!!!1111 prESS OHKAY 2 FIX!" that's just trying to bait you to press "Ok" to give you the real virus remains a mystery. I couldn't even press ctrl+alt+del to get rid of it. I had to shut it down and I wasn't about to take any chances so I took the cautionary procedure :painted :gimp
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

What are you talking about? I didn't get any pop ups. The problem is within your browser.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

VikingBoyBilly wrote::gimp
wow, first in-context use of this emoticon? :P oh, and nice emoticon choice for popup :P

Um, yeah, I had no issues. System restore is a bit.... extreme.

May I just put in my 2c: In Australia, teh slows internetz means that often it's a case of cbf waiting for videos to load. I envy you people who can download at reasonable prices willy-nilly. Although our net IS better than that of a lot of the US :P Price wise though it's worse I think....
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

tulip wrote:btw: this game WAS made by Apogee, they just didn't release it... read this thread.
That's like saying Apogee made Commander Keen.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Calvero wrote:
tulip wrote:btw: this game WAS made by Apogee, they just didn't release it... read this thread.
That's like saying Apogee made Commander Keen.
Well Apogee gave Commander Keen their seal of approval, but they disassociated themselves with gateworld and the original team dumped it on someone else to finish it, which is saying something :sick (I have a feeling I'll be using :sick and :barf emotes alot here)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

part 2
Experienced horrible desynching between the audio and video (I edited it though, which was an undesirable effort). This is weird because I'm using the same method of recording in Dosbox while speaking into audacity and I never had desynching problems with my Biomenace LPs.

I'll try increasing the fps rate (or whatever you call it) in dosbox to see if that helps, or if someone has any advice please tell me! :bloody :dopefish
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I actually enjoyed gateworld a bit as a kid. Not sure if i ever beat it, but seeing the lava boss thing for the first time was pretty memorable. I guess I didn't read the story back then, hearing it now I pretty much agreed word for word with what you said: i don't want to play this guy who is stealing people's property and killing innocent miners.

I don't remember the lag, but that sounds (and looks) annoying as hell. I also almost never played games with music on as a kid, so hearing that now...man that is oppressive.

Edit: Just played (while suffering lag and horrendous music) up to level 4 which is the lava boss...what a let down, I thought I remembered that thing being twice as big and having a big chase 'n dodge showdown with it.