Shadows of the empire on windows 7

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Shadows of the empire on windows 7

Post by Rorie »

can star wars shadows of the empire be played on windows 7?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

have you checked the website of the game?

And if it works on Vista, there is a 99% chance it'll work on 32-Bit 7.

If all else fails, you could always try virtual PC? It can be downloaded for Windows 7 and if you have professional or higher you get a free license for Windows XP to use "Windows XP Mode" or something. It functions pretty much like parallels on a Mac I believe.

Best thing to do is to check with the manufacturer, that way you can legitimately claim a refund or whatever from them if it doesn't work. There may be a patch.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I looked into running older 16 bit programs in Windows 7 recently. If it's a DOS program you can always use DOSBox. If it's a Windows 3.1 program, you are SOL there.

I tried looking into "virtual PC" crap for windows but it turns out the documentation is worthless and it doesn't work. So I dunno.

If you find out how, let me know.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Windows 3.1 will mostly run on DOSBox, though.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

How? Also I want Windows 3.1 / 95 / whatever to run at high resolution, at least 1024 x 768. Not at 320x200.

All I want is to play Castle of the Winds on Windows 7. I can't play that game at low resolutions. (anymore)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I had an 11 floppy disk version of Windows 3.11 which I installed by copying all the files into one folder, then mounting that folder as A: and the dir where I want to install as C:. It actually installs without a hitch. You might have to run setup.exe again afterwards to select a working video driver, though.

I later installed a CD version of 3.1 from an online ISO the same way (hey, I lost my original files somehow, and I can't find the floppies anymore).

Alternatively, I could pack and send anyone a working, already set up version of Windows 3.1 (not 3.11). :P
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Yes, I would love that. But my main concern is, can I then change the Windows 3.1 resolution to something like 1024 x 768? At least 800 x 600. Or am I locked in at 320 x 200 or whatever it is.

Maybe I could get Crusade in Space working then... :drool They just don't make games like how they made 3.1 games.

I really miss those "desktop games."
Also, what's wrong with 3.11! :O I used to use that version to hook my 487 (POS for those that know) up to our oldschool network. :disguised
New, fast processors just don't compute the levels of COTW quite the same way.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Galaxieretter wrote:Yes, I would love that. But my main concern is, can I then change the Windows 3.1 resolution to something like 1024 x 768? At least 800 x 600. Or am I locked in at 320 x 200 or whatever it is.
The default is 640x480, but at least 800x600 works. It's plenty large for Windows 3.1, though.

I really miss those "desktop games."
Yeah, there's some really nice old Windows 3.1 ones. 3D Ultra Pinball was great too. And you should check out The Adventures of Microman, it's a pretty neat platformer.
Also, what's wrong with 3.11! :O
Nothing! That was just the version I had on my floppies before I somehow lost it, and I could only find 3.1 on the 'net.

I'll zip the stuff up and PM ya.

EDIT: wow! Apparently it IS 3.11 I have! :O
Last edited by DaVince on Wed Aug 04, 2010 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Thanks!

And I must have mistook that then.
Microman is a huge classic. Forgot about that one. :P I think I'll update my website for this project and host some 3.1 games.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Cool, I'll want to play some new old classics too. :)

By the way, I just found out it's 3.11 after all! Not sure how I got ahold of that. Maybe it's my original disks after all...

Typing up an extra document with some notes, by the way.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

i have been told by my sister's bf who is a tech expert and he says that the game shouldn't have any problems he simply states every old program that he has run on windows 7 has worked. i do not have this game in my posession yet. i will eventually buy a used copy of ebay only A$16.50 with free postage but i only have A$34.55 in my bank account and i want to place a A$25 bet on the football so buying the game will have to wait unless steams puts it up for a cheaper price
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Um, but are any of the programs that he's tried running 16-bit? I've had some issues even with VB5 EXEs. I think I fixed it back in the beta and did a how-to on my site, but I haven't been able to try it in 64-bit. (I used the 32-bit beta and RC)

I've run 3.1 through DOSBox AND through VirtualPC - I think I managed VPC through using the Win95 setup disk to prepare the drive... in other words FDISK I think would work. ALTERNATELY - WINDOWS 95 IS A 16-Bit 32-Bit CROSS THAT MAY RUN IT! That installs in VPC2005 fine if you konw what to do. If you're interested I'll dig up how I did it (as I can't remember off hat) and post up instructions? If all else fails just use its DOSMode!

When using DOSBox I had to mount the entire C: Drive.... I just made sure I didn't delete anything. I had already decompressed the floppy discs by that point - I don't think any install was even required as all the files were there. 11 disc too.

EDIT: Ah, just found your thread. Good idea DaVince and Galaxieretter!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

WINDOWS 95 IS A 16-Bit 32-Bit CROSS THAT MAY RUN IT!
If the app is 16 bit, and your CPU is 64 bit, no such luck. Windows 95 works because it is 32-bit, hence it will work on 64-bit systems, but like XP, Vista or 7, it doesn't contain any 64 > 16-bit layer.

The easiest way to mount your dir where Windows 3.1 is located is by opening/send to autoexec.bat with DOSBox, by the way. DOSBox's automounting feature kicks in if you do that.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

DaVince wrote:
WINDOWS 95 IS A 16-Bit 32-Bit CROSS THAT MAY RUN IT!
If the app is 16 bit, and your CPU is 64 bit, no such luck. Windows 95 works because it is 32-bit, hence it will work on 64-bit systems, but like XP, Vista or 7, it doesn't contain any 64 > 16-bit layer.

The easiest way to mount your dir where Windows 3.1 is located is by opening/send to autoexec.bat with DOSBox, by the way. DOSBox's automounting feature kicks in if you do that.
Even running it in the i386 emulation of VPC2005? :confused
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I didn't know that i386 emulation actually existed for it! Maybe it will work.