Super Mario 64 (not the DS version)

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Super Mario 64 (not the DS version)

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

What does everyone think of it?
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I'm a bit mixed on it. Now mind you, this comes from the opinion of someone who didn't play Mario 64 until after playing Mario Sunshine.

When I first played it, I found some issues with the camera and the controls. I understand what they were doing, in making a free-roaming camera, but I think the camera was much better in Sunshine. So while the controls were smooth, I thought they were a bit overpowering for more precise situations and the camera was not really optimized for platforming.

As for the good? Definitely graphics and level design. Even though texture resolutions on the N64 were severely undermined by the low storage capabilities of the cartridges, they were still able to make the textures fit well on Mario 64. So alot of the graphics were complimented with the simple colors and fit into Mario's world. And for one of the first platformers ever made? They pulled off alot of cool, stuff such as; smooth animations, reflective textures, good (but simple) level geometry.

Now do I think Mario 64 deserves the "most revolutionary 3D platformer of all time" title? Not exactly. While, technically, it was one of the first console platformers out there and did impact alot of games to come (for better or for worse) I think it's recognition would have been lessened if games like Sonic X-Treme and Keen: TUIT had been released. The former of which already had a working engine and the gameplay was fully functional. X-Treme looked like it would've been a completely different kind of platformer in itself, which could've had an interesting impact on the platformer genre. But X-Treme was cancelled because of company politics and I think we know why TUIT was cancelled. So it makes me wonder, did Mario 64 get the title because some of it's competitors were no-shows?

Mario 64 also can't be called the first 3D platformer or even the first 3D console platformer ever. Alpha Waves predated it a few years before and Crash Bandicoot was out by then too. The latter of which I think plays better than Mario 64 in many respects (though I would say that while Crash played better than Mario 64, it did lack the exploration and freedom that SM64 offered). So I don't think Mario 64 deserves all of the credit. Now again, this comes from someone who didn't get Mario 64 when it came out, so maybe my perspective on this could've been different? And I can't fault Mario 64 if it is truly overrated. I think Mario 64 is more influential than it was revolutionary.

So in the end, Mario 64 is a mixed bag to me-- some good and some bad. I personally think Sunshine is a better Mario Experience (despite being a rehash of Mario 64, albeit a better rehash). And if I want to move around the Mario formula, there's always Sonic Adventure or Crash 2 (that's not to say that Sonic Adv. doesn't have alot of problems in it's own right). I have also yet to play Galaxy thoroughly (though what I did play indicated to me that they really improved Mario).
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Why exactly "not DS version"? Are there a lot of differences? I've only tried out the DS version for a few minutes so far, and it did feel like it was the same as the original, but if the to are indeed massively different, I'd be interested to know about that...

And Lava is just right about everything here I think (and yeah Mario Galaxy is awesome)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

SM64DS is way different than SM64. really.

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

the main difference between the two is the presence of Luigi. That's right, you get to play as luigi on the DS :evil

My opinion is it completely blew my mind as a child but it hasn't aged well for me. No, it's still a good game, I just turned into a cranky old man complaining about the good ol days and all yer kids new fangled games. :old
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

VikingBoyBilly wrote:the main difference between the two is the presence of Luigi. That's right, you get to play as luigi on the DS :evil
Und Wario.

Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

The DS version isn't bad, but it did change the style of the game to feel more like the newer ones, which I don't like very much.

Super Mario 64 has always been a good game in my opinion. I like that there's plenty of large worlds to explore, with lots of things to do in each world. Mario Sunshine was a similar experience for me, even if they did change the gameplay mechanics a bit with the water gun. Mario Galaxy was my least favorite in the series (although it's still fun) for that reason - most of the levels were just small areas strung together, so it felt like there wasn't as much room to explore.

But as a Mario game, Mario 64 is kinda missing a lot of Mario elements...
-There's not a lot of blocks in the game, although that's understandable due to the monotony they'd produce in a 3d game.
-There's hardly any koopas. I didn't really notice it until a few years ago, but now that I think about it, it's kinda a big disappointment. A lot of other staple characters were missing too, like busy beetle and ninji. I think, though, that maybe they couldn't get the shells to work right, hence why there's no shelled characters in the game.
-No powerups. One of the big things about Mario is that he starts small, then gets larger, and then gets a fire flower, cape, or whatever. The caps were kinda like powerups, but they were timed and none of them were familiar elements.

Eh, I'm sure there's probably more stuff, but I don't really feel like typing this all out right now.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

DS - You start as Yoshi and have to rescue Mario, Luigi and Wario. Then they become playable characters.
DS - There are catch-me bunnies nearly everywhere, and depending on which character are you controlling, they have different colors and show up at different places.
DS - Mario, Luigi and Wario each have a special level where you have to beat the boss and then you get the key to the chamber where the character is imprisoned.
DS - Each character has different bonus abilities popping up from red blocks (Yoshi can breathe fire, Mario can fly, Luigi becomes a ghost, Wario becomes Metal Wario).
There are A LOT of differences.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

I loved the DS version and the older version :D
Lunick is Here
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Making wario playable in the game seemed like an odd decision to me. Like, in the beginning, the three of them come out of the warp pipe to peach's castle together as if the mario bros. are buddy-buddy with wario. Isn't wario supposed to be their rival? Why would he suddenly come with them to mushroom kingdom's castle for a cake? :birthday (cuz, you know, peach being kidnapped isn't revealed until after they get there... :rolleyes )

PS. The cake turned out to be a lie. Until the end of the game when peach finally makes one :dopefish
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

It wasn't very fun and did not feel like Mario at all.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I kinda like the DS version more. :O
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

CKeen wrote:It wasn't very fun and did not feel like Mario at all.
Of course you, of all people, would say that. I think it's an excellent game, well, I mean, I (sort of) grew up with that daft thing. The way I feel about the DS version is the same way I feel about Keen GBC, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts 'n' Bolts or Pride & Prejudice 2005. A cheap ripoff of a fine game series (or book, as is the case with P&P2005). I agree about the Koopa and Block thing though, and feel that the DS version would work better as a sequel, not a remake.

Oh, and a tip: If Peach ever invites you to a castle for cake, don't go unless you like pain. :no :no :no

Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:
CKeen wrote:It wasn't very fun and did not feel like Mario at all.
Of course you, of all people, would say that.
I'm sorry for not being a yes-man that must like every game that is famous and appreciated by almost everyone. You know, I have my own opinions as well, so next time you're going to criticize me, at least make sure you have some points that would allow you to do that.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

mortimermcmirestinks wrote:Of course you, of all people, would say that.
So what was the point of saying this, besides to troll CKeen?